Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2011, 11:30   #1

Boat: Passport 42
Ensenada - Baja Naval, Coral, or Cruiseport?

My first post here.... I don't see any recent postings about Ensenada here, so looking for current information.

I'm planning to move the boat (Passport 42) from San Diego to Ensenada in September and have a slip reserved at Baja Naval. I read some good reviews of the place but also have heard some reasons not to berth there. Anyone using Baja Naval on a monthly basis? What about Coral or Cruiseport? Does the surge make for a bouncy marina?

My Priorities: Inexpensive, safe, WiFi, walking distance to grocery and transit. Thanks!
swvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 12:10   #2

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
Re: Ensenada - Baja Naval, Coral, or Cruiseport?

Surge does make for a more bouncy Marina, and only Cruiseport is protected by a separate inner breakwater. We have stayed at Baja Naval for a couple of weeks the past two years, and plan to do so again end of October. Best short term rates, good people to deal with, nice marina/wifi/heads/security, and the town is right out in front of you. Surge is not that uncomfortable, and we augment our docklines with chain loops around the cleats to cut down on the chafe a bit. But you do need to watch your lines and use good chafe gear. Cruiseport is more protected, same price on a monthly basis as Naval, not that far from town, PITA security because of the cruise ships. Probably the best choice for monthly. Coral is a nice resort, has a gym and good restaurant, but is some distance out of town-even with shuttle, buses and cabs. Good for those who want to lay by the pool or go to town less frequently. And significantly more expensive, even though surge hits there also.
But I offered my wife the option of hitting one of the other marinas since we had been to Naval the past two years, and she chose Naval again for the overall convenience. We plan to be there arond Dia de los Muertos, after the HaHaers have left.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 05:50   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Ensenada - Baja Naval, Coral, or Cruiseport?

Welcome to the forum...very nice looking boat.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja