Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2011, 12:28   #1

Boat: Shell Swifty 14, & 24' Culler / Bolger cat ketch sharpie
Day Sails Out of NZ ?

A friend and I are looking at 2 or 3 weeks in New Zealand, February to April 2012 timeframe. I could probably convince her into a nice day sail if it was available. Are there good places to rent a small boat for a day? Or possibly, a way to find someone with a larger boat we could 'crew' with for a day, and maybe even get a bit of shoreline tour?
bassman1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 12:49   #2

Boat: Custom
Re: Day sails out of NZ?

Just went over for the RWC.

The viaduct in Auckland is jam packed full of day trip yachts, 40 foot up to ex Americas cup boats.

Enjoy

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 16:04   #3

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon
Re: Day Sails Out of NZ ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman1956 View Post
A friend and I are looking at 2 or 3 weeks in New Zealand, February to April 2012 timeframe. I could probably convince her into a nice day sail if it was available. Are there good places to rent a small boat for a day? Or possibly, a way to find someone with a larger boat we could 'crew' with for a day, and maybe even get a bit of shoreline tour?
Auckland (Viaduct Basin) is almost exclusively skippered cruises for non sailors, including a 2 to 3 hour stint on an ex Americas Cup yacht for about NZD 150 per person.

I have just had 4 months in Auckland and inquired for a day cruise 8 to 10 hours...price NZD 2,000.00 in round figures.

The Bay of Islands is really a cruising paradise and you should be able to rent a self sail for a day and see most of the bay. I think most rentals are out of OPUA. I do not know prices but you should be able to get something of the internet. Google "Yacht rental in Bay of Islands NZ" and you will get plenty of choices.

The Bay of Islands is about a 3 hour car journey north of Auckland. When I lived in NZ I use to sail to the BOI every Xmas for 3 weeks. It is beautiful!!!!
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 16:07   #4

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

I would suggest go in FEB. High summer, but the schools are back but everything is still in full action without the crowds.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 02:40   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

I am in Opua and Mexdon's comments about the Bay of Islands is correct...a great place for day and overnight sails. There is at least one place here that rents boats by the day - Fair Winds. You can get a 28ft for about 300-400 NZ$ a day. I am sure they have a website with more info.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 21:24   #6

Thanks All!

It would be nice to combine a 1 or 2 day sail with a tour of the shoreline, but that might be asking too much. I do know a friend who arranged such a sail out of Queenstown for Milford Sound.

When I vaca in North Carolina, I rent 17' trimarans and 19' flying scots by the hour. Is suck popular there as well?

Also, I've actually dropped John Welsford a line, because i like his designs a lot, and he's in the general locality. Maybe there would be a chance to see his shop and / or some of his designs up close. The 18' whaler yawl intrigues me.
Old 14-11-2011, 20:03   #7

Well, we booked our time shares... Couldn't get anything in the bay of Islands area until well into April, and we're starting mid-March. First week in Queenstown, second in Rakaia Gorge, third in Tanguray. May try to do what a friend did from Q-town, IE, an overnight on a schooner in the Milford Sound. Otherwise, sailing may be out. What's day sailing like on the smaller lakes? Still haven't heard back from John Welsford, thought itwould be cool to visit his shop.
Old 14-11-2011, 20:46   #8

See if your library or PBS station has the Globe Trekker DVD or show about New Zealand #2. (They do a 3 minute segment on sailing in the South Island)

They travel 40 miles on Lake Te Anau, and it looks like it couldn't get any better. Why am I not there...

I have been to NZ, and they mean it when they say the weather can change.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 21:51   #9

Boat: Finot 45 - steel

Quote:
second in Rakaia Gorge
Day trip to akaroa and go out and swim with the dolphins or just watch. They are hectors dolphins, some of the smallest and rarest in the world. Akaroa is nz's original french settlement and typical iconic small town. It was the site of the first log mill in NZ.

Queenstown and arrow town are good for 2-3 days so definitely do the milford overnighter if you can, there is a bus from queenstown and you travel through some amazing country. Milford is like no other place in nz for its beauty
sail-fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sails