Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2011, 18:15   #1

Boat: Crowther Shockwave 37
Darwin to Dili Rally 2011

Hi Peeps,
A little news from a internet cafe in downtown Dili, after 3 days of sailing and a week of sightseeing.

Last Saturday, 6 Yachts set off from Darwin 3 cats and 3 monos on a timed Rally, to East Timor. This was the second running since the Country has attained independence 9 years ago.

Pretty much a dead run/beam reach the whole way with 3 Mtr swell (and minor waves) in the Timor sea, making a fantastic crossing.

Event was pretty well organised. and looking forward to next year for another run. Its perfect from Darwin as your able to get here and back in 2 weeks so well within the "annual leave" requirements of us salary earners.

Ive also stayed ashore in some genuine local accommodation (read $35US a night and cold water in the taps :-)) and enjoyed some good (although hard to find) local cuisine.

Next year I plan on a 4WD trip across the whole country over a week, as RAV4s and Pajero IOs are commonplace in the little rental places.

If anyone is interested in coming next year contact me and Ill give you the good oil.

I certainly enjoyed it, so long as you recognise Timor Leste as a recently emerging country you will as well.

Cheers

Brett
+61 419388038
eliseviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 17:12   #2

Darwin to Dili Rally 2012

A bit belated, But Undertook the Darwin to Dili Rally again this year. 17 boats set off from Darwin on July 17 and everyone made it to Dili within 4 days.

The rally Information can be seen on

Sail Timor-Leste

It hooks up with the Sail Indonesia Rally and permits, visas etc were simple. If anyone is about next year, I encourage you to hook up. No regrets :-)

See you next year.

Regards

Brett (Mai Tai)
Old 21-03-2013, 00:26   #3

Re: Darwin to Dili Rally 2013

Hi Peoples,

The Darwin to Dili Rally entries are open again and to date there are 10 yachts on the books. Ive done it 3 times now, twice on a 12 mtr Catana, and once on my 11m Crowther Shockwave (lets just say one was much more comfortable than the other!), and will be doing it again this year in the Shockwave. To anyone who is Northern Australia/Indonesia in July. I would urge you to join in for what is some good fun. Also a $US15,000 prize pool (3 divisions * 3 places I think is the arrangement) so come along and see if you can grab a place.

There is a bit of history, sailing instructions and entry details at

Sail Timor-Leste

Cheers

Brett (Mai Tai)