Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2013, 06:52   #1

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS
Cruising Mexico

For cruisers headed to Mexico...

We just got back from 3.5 years there, and I've put together a review of all the guide books, field guides, maps and online resources that we found were particularly useful in our cruise.

Two of the most popular cruising guides have new editions this year, and even though several of the big online marine stores sell some of these guides, they don't always have the latest editions. So I've provided links to the publishers of those guides to make it easy for you to get your hands on a copy.

I hope this helps any of you that are getting ready to head south this fall… There's a whirlwind of activity going on here in San Diego... fun!

Mexico Cruiser’s Bookshelf – Our favorite guides and resources
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 14:55   #2

Boat: Roughwater 33
Re: Cruising Mexico

Thanks!
csmithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 15:11   #3

I dig the Sean and Heather one for the Sea up here. No one can spend every day in every anchorage and visit every store, and they even state that north of Bahia Los Angeles they didn't personally travel. But all in, it's an awesome book.

For anyone planning on visiting the Sea of Cortez, even if just possibly doing so, grab one of those books before you leave. They're near impossible to get down here.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 19:36   #4

Boat: Stevens 47

Hey there Groovy people, that is a really great roundup of books for cruising Mexico!

Based on our time cruising Mexico (2008-2010) I want to add:

1) Shawn & Heather's books are superior, full stop.

2) If you're an avid snorkeler, it's really worth picking up Sea of Cortez Marine Animals (Gottshall) identify critters and fish: they are specific to the Sea, but will inform what you see all over the MX coast. I found it much more helpful than the broader-focus ID book you have listed, but we tend to geek out on the fishy stuff and want to know specifics about where we are and animal behavior.
nomadic mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 19:56   #5

Glad you liked my post. Great tip on the book by Gottshall - thanks!

We sure loved Sean and Heather's guides too -- just outstanding!! -- but unfortunately they didn't go to the part of Mexico we ended up liking the most (the ~800 miles south of Zihuatanejo).

Luckily, Pat Rains's guide does a good job on that part...
Old 03-09-2013, 20:13   #6

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16

Hey Mark and Emily Gad you made the bash OK. Kim and I would love to see you guys again. Stop by soon. Playing guitars and singing on your boat with S/V Scott Free in La Paz was a blast. We even have some more almonds for you! Scott & Kim S/V Sweet Destiny
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 20:53   #7

Hey Scott & Kim - So wonderful to hear from you -- such great memories! We'd love to see you again and share some almonds and music. Looking forward to it!!
Old 25-09-2013, 06:03   #8

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by settingsun View Post
Glad you liked my post. Great tip on the book by Gottshall - thanks! We sure loved Sean and Heather's guides too -- just outstanding!! -- but unfortunately they didn't go to the part of Mexico we ended up liking the most (the ~800 miles south of Zihuatanejo). Luckily, Pat Rains's guide does a good job on that part...
Would you care to share some of the places south of Zihuat that you loved?
Last year we sailed to Zihuat from San Carlos and back.
Trying to figure out where else to go this winter.
Thanks,
Brian and Deidre
s/v Cat2Fold
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 06:14   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hay solarbri/cat 2 fold--i found pix i took of your sailing in zihuatenejo last winter--good stuff -- nice pix--i will try to sort my puter issues and post em somewhere for ye---got pantera also--everyone!!! pix taken from patricia belle the day bubba wanted to eat you....i am still in barra de navidad--you gonna stop here on your way south??? come reunite with el lion!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 06:28   #10

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
hay solarbri/cat 2 fold--i found pix i took of your sailing in zihuatenejo last winter--good stuff -- nice pix--i will try to sort my puter issues and post em somewhere for ye---got pantera also--everyone!!! pix taken from patricia belle the day bubba wanted to eat you....i am still in barra de navidad--you gonna stop here on your way south??? come reunite with el lion!!!
Not sure what to do this year. I get my kids for the whole month of December. We're gonna cruise from San Carlos to La Paz. Then the kids and Deidre go home in early January. Then it's all me.
Anyone ever been to Isla Socorro? Or Isla Benedicto?
Looking to stretch out my legs more this year and sail more. However, the funds are hurting also.
Maybe it's time to do the puddle jump and go for broke...
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 08:15   #11

Solarbri -- The best cruising we found in all of Pacific Mexico was the ten mile stretch of coast called the Bays of Huatulco. It gave us the truly tropical cruising experience we were looking for. Acapulco was also a nice spot for day sailing and has some pleasant anchorages around the fringes of the bay.

Chiapas is awesome for going inland to see the Mayan ruins. There are fabulous colonial cities that are accessible from everywhere on the coast from PV to Chiapas that we were thrilled to discover.

Our posts from Zihuatanejo to the Guatemala border are here -- check them out for pics and stories of things we found to do...

Costa Grande & Costa Sur Cruising Destinations

Our posts from our adventures INLAND are all here along with maps and explanations of where to leave the boat and how to get there. Going inland was a real highlight of our cruise:

Central Mexico & Southern Mexico Travel to INLAND Destinations

Have fun down there -- we LOVED it!!
Old 25-09-2013, 09:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
Not sure what to do this year. I get my kids for the whole month of December. We're gonna cruise from San Carlos to La Paz. Then the kids and Deidre go home in early January. Then it's all me.
Anyone ever been to Isla Socorro? Or Isla Benedicto?
Looking to stretch out my legs more this year and sail more. However, the funds are hurting also.
Maybe it's time to do the puddle jump and go for broke...
I think we met in La Cruz at a dock party; my name is Eric and my wife and little daughters might have been running around.

We're headed back to La Cruz in a month or so and will be doing the Puddle Jump. I think quite a few boats are doing it; should be a hoot!
Old 25-09-2013, 09:37   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I think we met in La Cruz at a dock party; my name is Eric and my wife and little daughters might have been running around.

We're headed back to La Cruz in a month or so and will be doing the Puddle Jump. I think quite a few boats are doing it; should be a hoot!
Eric...Is there a reason you're taking off to the S. Pacific from La Cruz?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 09:47   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Eric...Is there a reason you're taking off to the S. Pacific from La Cruz?
I guess our options are:

a) Leave from Baja/California. We're already pretty far down south to really consider heading back to the USA and it doesn't buy us a lot for weather. Baja, while pretty, is not our cup of tea.

b) Leave from Banderas Bay. We really love La Cruz, we have a lot of friends there (mainly Mexican friends in town, but a lot of boats as well). We had a wonderful time there last year. It's also basically the "official" launching spot for the Puddle Jump so there are seminars, lots of weather talk, boat and crew meet ups, and just a lot of energy.

c) Leave from farther south, between Mexico and Panama. We actually considered doing this, but we'll be getting a ton of seatime, sailing, and anchoring in the South Pacific so we opted for having some rest and fun in La Cruz first. We know how to provision from there, where to get supplies, and we want to head home for a week before we split. Flights are relatively not-overpriced from Puerto Vallarta.

So I certainly wouldn't say that one is better than any other; it's completely subjective. But for us, I think it's the best call. It's really hard to convey the value of a ton of bright eyed and bushy tailed soon-to-be Pacific crossers. Start contrast to the crodgity desert rats of the Sea of Cortez.
Old 25-09-2013, 14:16   #15

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Gotcha...But Zee said La Cruz isn't part of Mx...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Mexico, paracelle