Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 17:52   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Cruising Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Should have kept to snake handling and drinking poison...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 18:03   #32

Just my opinion. Indonesia is as varied culturally and religiously more than most countries. Are there fanatics, fundamentalists, etc? You bet, but it is an extremely small percentage of the population. For someone that doesn't care for the Muslim culture, try Manadao-about 60% christian, Flores Island -about 80% catholic, Lake Toba area-big majority of Christians. I have spent time in the middle east. Islam is a more easy going religion in Indonesia.

As far as theft, bribes, etc, it's absolutely part of the culture. However,you are not singled out because of your American nationality. you are chosen because you look wealthy. Theft, etc is based upon the concept of sharing. You have more, so I will take what I need. In fact, prison sentences and judgments take into consideration the question of need of the perpetrator. I am not justifying this type of logic. That's just the way it is.

If you come to Indonesia wearing your religion, morals, nationality on your shirt sleeve, then you aren't going to get along very well.
Patpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 18:06   #33

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Should have kept to snake handling and drinking poison...
Americans still do both
Hallelujah and pass the rattlesnake!
and
909 Peoples Temple Members drink the "Holy Koolaid"
Old 01-12-2011, 18:09   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I recall that Hindus invented the suicide bomber (Sri Lanka).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 18:19   #35

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I recall that Hindus invented the suicide bomber (Sri Lanka).
I see you have changed the Buddhist to Hindu's (Tamil Tigers?)

I think the Japanese may have beat them with their "Divine Wind" Kamikaze Dive Bombers, a good chance that the majority of the pilots were Buddhists
Old 01-12-2011, 18:33   #36

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patpat View Post
Just my opinion. Indonesia is as varied culturally and religiously more than most countries. Are there fanatics, fundamentalists, etc? You bet, but it is an extremely small percentage of the population. For someone that doesn't care for the Muslim culture, try Manadao-about 60% christian, Flores Island -about 80% catholic, Lake Toba area-big majority of Christians. I have spent time in the middle east. Islam is a more easy going religion in Indonesia.

As far as theft, bribes, etc, it's absolutely part of the culture. However,you are not singled out because of your American nationality. you are chosen because you look wealthy. Theft, etc is based upon the concept of sharing. You have more, so I will take what I need. In fact, prison sentences and judgments take into consideration the question of need of the perpetrator. I am not justifying this type of logic. That's just the way it is.

If you come to Indonesia wearing your religion, morals, nationality on your shirt sleeve, then you aren't going to get along very well.
Sounds a lot like home with such a diverse culture. Any good info on the route that we had proposed. Has anyone been into Pontianak, or inland to Palembang on Sumatera?
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 18:38   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
No offense to anyone I hope but for a bunch of folks who are or intend to be "world cruisers" this thread shows a fair amount of intolerance. Having lived in Asia for 25 years I can assure you that stereotyping any Asian culture or country is going to be incorreect.

Most Asians who do not travel establish their stereotypes the same way westerners do. By watching tv and then watching the tourists.

Western culture is depicted through television to be rich, without moral, spoiled, warmongering and rude. Imagine if all you knew about the USA was Jerry Springer, Jersey Shore and CNN warclips.

Now imagine if hundreds if not thousands of Indonesians showed up every month in Baton Rouge with pockets bulging from millions of Rupiah on sex holidays to invade strip clubs and dance clubs. The good ol' boys would be having a field day...

Yes one could argue that the sex trade is a monetarily driven, government sponsored problem. But clearly Westerners and now rich Asians are the enablers.

Going to Bali, Jakarta, Phuket, Bangkok, Manila, Olongopo or Cebu and saying you've experienced Asian culture is like going to Hollywood blvd or Kings Cross and saying you've experienced US or Australian culture.

Anyway - sorry to preach. If you ain't interested in Indonesia, don't go but please don't slag them off. I have many Indonesian friends as well as Thai, Filipino, Malysian, Vietnamese, basically the whole spectrum. And yes there are individual crazzies and a-holes in every society.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 20:05   #38

Ex-Cal

You hit the nail on the head
Old 02-12-2011, 00:34   #39

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Think I have figured out how to upload an attachment of the boat as requested. New decks in first photo and mast stepped in second. Launch in a couple of days. Everything looks good for Indonesia. Just have to figure out where to put that big Indonesian flag.
Thanks for the feed back and pics.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 17:41   #40

Undercutter,
Haven't been to either. But, chevron oil has a camp near Palembang. Probably can find Western import goods in stores there. They won't be cheap. It all depends on what you are looking for, but Sumatra is one of my favorite islands.
If you are headed south towards Java from Palembang, the small islands around Krakatoa (actually anak Krakatoa) is worth a stop. There is no indication of the eruption that occurred 120 years ago. A new volcano is forming and the surrounding land is forested. You can also dive some pretty neat black lava sites. If you're lucky, you will get to see nature put on a nice fireworks show.
Old 03-12-2011, 18:36   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter

Sounds a lot like home with such a diverse culture. Any good info on the route that we had proposed. Has anyone been into Pontianak, or inland to Palembang on Sumatera?
Hey Undercutter! Got some feedback from my more trusted counsel. Private message sent.

For observers the gist is that there are few reliable entry points. One of my friends enterred at Balikpapan and got a bunch of guff but he did have the CAIT so prevailed. Pontianak is the next choice from the northeast but none of my colleagues have actually done it.

So we can look forward to Undercutter giving us the new news once they clear.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 20:10   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Hey Undercutter! Got some feedback from my more trusted counsel. Private message sent.

For observers the gist is that there are few reliable entry points. One of my friends enterred at Balikpapan and got a bunch of guff but he did have the CAIT so prevailed. Pontianak is the next choice from the northeast but none of my colleagues have actually done it.

So we can look forward to Undercutter giving us the new news once they clear.
Appreciate all the help from everyone and will be sure to post our experiences at Pontianak when we arrive. Looks like some beautiful areas to visit all through this area, may find ourselves spending more time here than planned.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:38   #43

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Indonesia is a great place and each area varies. Show respect and do not be flashy with your posessions and out leave things drying on the rails at night and stuff on deck and you should be right.
Local boats i have been on leave lights on all night as a deterent and it works as any petty thief does not have darkness to hide in, just get some led spots and leave then on the water at the back and deck and its hard for anyone looking at the boat then.
When dealing with them always smile and never be agressive, just be laid back no matter what.
Great place can not wait to get there next year and go surfing,fishing and diving.
Cheap diesel too
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:19   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
Indonesia is a great place and each area varies. Show respect and do not be flashy with your posessions and out leave things drying on the rails at night and stuff on deck and you should be right.
Local boats i have been on leave lights on all night as a deterent and it works as any petty thief does not have darkness to hide in, just get some led spots and leave then on the water at the back and deck and its hard for anyone looking at the boat then.
When dealing with them always smile and never be agressive, just be laid back no matter what.
Great place can not wait to get there next year and go surfing,fishing and diving.
Cheap diesel too
Thanks for the input Dirkdig. Have rigged a couple of led floods on the spreaders and will bring a couple of more for the mizzen as well so that we can light her up like christmas. We look forward to a great time and hope that our experiences will result in more cruisers plying these waters.

As far as the formalities go, we found that Indonesia's (so far) have been relatively easy to negotiate. Received the CAIT through Indonautica within 10 days of application by e mail and the visa within 2 days from the embassy in Ottawa. Visa is good for 2 months within a 3 month period. Left application with embassy and received documents back 2 business days later by courier. If this is any indication of things to come during our visit we expect it to be a piece of cake.

Still wondering if anyone has been to either Pontianak or Palembang as we hear that Pontianak can be difficult to get into. would love to have some feedback from someone who has been there.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:49   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
Cheap diesel too
great advice about not being agressive and always stay laid back no matter what...even if threatend "remain calm"..dont ever point,particularly with your left hand ..(dont do anything with your left hand) and always keep your hands out of your pockets... and never cross your arms..use your head and your eyes to point at things and if ever you rent a motorcycle or car and you see people around you pushing ther hands down toward the ground they could be asking for a ride or they are warning you off the police who will set up road blocks and extort money from you by creating new laws on the spot in real time,and they are always near a bank so that you can walk and get money if you dont have it on you and they will keep your papers until you return with it..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Indonesia