Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2016, 12:12   #46

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'
Re: Cruising from San Diego

I don't find a 1% tax a big deal, but then as I mentioned before, cruise your boat for 6 months and save the $300. It's like the comment about smog. When I looked up air pollution and saw how many areas in the north have "no burn days" because of the inversion of smoke pollution I have to wonder if those people consider that a detriment to their health? Our predominant wind is onshore and so smog on the coast is a rarity. There can be forest fires that cause smoke pollution and are typical when the wind shifts to offshore, ( Santa Anas ). To my original point is how many days of comfortable sailing are derived here and it is simply more... Way more. Rained 1/4" last night but sailing this afternoon in 70 degree weather. Whales directly in front of the harbor this morning. Sometimes sailing, ( IMHO), isn't how many places can I go as much as how many times can I go sailing.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 12:15   #47

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
We hear this repeatedly, usually in California-bashing rants.

Our yearly bill is less than $300, or one month's slip fee.
Stu, when we left the tax on our then 12 year old 36 foot ex-race boat was over 1000 bucks a year (alameda county). It has been nearly thirty years since then, and I haven't kept up with the tax rates personally, only through talking to others who were grumping about theirs.

Upthread, someone quoted theirs as a 1% ad valorem tax, based on the tax assessors valuation. That person does not always agree with the market place as to the value of your boat!! At any rate, that means that someone with a newish typical bennie or Catalina in the mid 40's ( a pretty normal California cruisers ride) would be paying several thousands of dollars per year. That's not inconsiderable IMO.

Jim
Old 18-02-2016, 12:20   #48

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
I don't find a 1% tax a big deal, but then as I mentioned before, cruise your boat for 6 months and save the $300. It's like the comment about smog. When I looked up air pollution and saw how many areas in the north have "no burn days" because of the inversion of smoke pollution I have to wonder if those people consider that a detriment to their health? Our predominant wind is onshore and so smog on the coast is a rarity. There can be forest fires that cause smoke pollution and are typical when the wind shifts to offshore, ( Santa Anas ). To my original point is how many days of comfortable sailing are derived here and it is simply more... Way more. Rained 1/4" last night but sailing this afternoon in 70 degree weather. Whales directly in front of the harbor this morning. Sometimes sailing, ( IMHO), isn't how many places can I go as much as how many times can I go sailing.
Shh! don't tell anyone, or they'll all be out here, eating our granola!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 12:23   #49

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Stu, when we left the tax on our then 12 year old 36 foot ex-race boat was over 1000 bucks a year (alameda county). It has been nearly thirty years since then, and I haven't kept up with the tax rates personally, only through talking to others who were grumping about theirs.

Upthread, someone quoted theirs as a 1% ad valorem tax, based on the tax assessors valuation. That person does not always agree with the market place as to the value of your boat!! At any rate, that means that someone with a newish typical bennie or Catalina in the mid 40's ( a pretty normal California cruisers ride) would be paying several thousands of dollars per year. That's not inconsiderable IMO.

Jim
And yet another reason to INVEST in a fine, old, CCA plastic classic!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 12:26   #50

Quote:

Jim
Jim~
You can appeal the decision of the valuation of the assessors and supply deductions from things needed, brokers valuation etc. If you paid over $1,000 for a 12 year old racer it was valued at approximately $90k-$100k. That would have been pretty easily disputed. First off is how many 12 year old racers sell for $100k? Sometimes not challenging a tax is the payers demise. I recently contested a property bill valuation of $600k and it was revised to $425k for a savings of $1,700 a year. I hear people grumble about taxes of any kind but they seldom gripe about the pluses of the quality of their infrastructure much less have any idea what the costs are.
Old 18-02-2016, 12:31   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Shh! don't tell anyone, or they'll all be out here, eating our granola!
Don~
Can't afford granola anymore due to taxation. Eating seaweed, and dried urchin. Tastes like chicken.....
Old 18-02-2016, 12:36   #52

Boat: Pearson Triton

Quote:
Jim
Jim is correct, tax is 1% of assessor's valuation. It took me over a year to argue my case when the assessor said my boat was valued at $38,000 for a 1984 Catalina 30. I told him he had two serious problems. First, that would be one incredibly nice Catalina 30 and second, my boat is a 1965 Pearson Triton! It looks nothing like a Catalina and the value on its best day is closer to $10,000!

He got pretty unreasonable and aggressive but I just stayed the course until he finally agreed (almost a full year later) to re-assess the boat at $10,800...so I pay $108 a year. There is also a county property tax on the slip that you don't own (can't remember how much but less than $100 for my 28 ft. slip).

Finally, Dana Point is a beautiful little harbor but part of the reason my boat is small is I probably won't see a slip over 30' available in my lifetime...and I'm in my 40's! There are still 28' and under and the wait list on 30' is a few months I'm told. But 35' and up? Nope.
vancouver25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 13:51   #53

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

As an alternative to San Diego and points north, consider permanent berthing in Ensenada, MX. We lived at the Marina Coral for over a year when it first opened just north of the city and really enjoyed it. The newer CruisePort Marina right downtown is pretty nice, close to everything and has(had) a great port Capt/mgr. Delivered between 50 and 100 boats either to or out of Ensenada back when the 91 Day Yacht Club was in full swing when members were trying to duck the CA sales tax.
We both learned to speak Spanish and my wife taught the young guys in the marinas how to prep and care for bright work. Went cruising for a couple more years in the Sea of Cortez but had to return to San Diego to build up the cruising kitty for a few years of cruising the PNW between deliveries north and south. All in all, not a bad life! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 17:49   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Cruising from San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttskie View Post
I live in the SF Bay Area and am considering moving south to the Dana Point area after retirement later this year. It is an area my wife likes, and where she can get a good job. I can hack the real estate expenses, etc., but am finding multi year waiting lists for a slip, either 35' or 40' to be a major concern.

Does anyone have any strategy, advice or solution to that issue?

It's 65-70 miles from San Diego to Dana Point and north of Dana Point slips are unobtanium.

Don't know what part of the Bay Area you're in but perhaps just moving to a better sailing one there would suit? Much better sailing and scenery and jobs (you indicate your wife will continue work) and even level of "friendly" people, drivers, boaters, law enforcement....not to mention Orange County --where Dana Point is located --is more aggressive about assessment of value on your boat than is Marin, San Mateo, or SF counties. Found that last bit out from a friend who stays in marinas in those 4 counties enough to get multiple tax bills as they all try to get that 1% state pp tax. Why leave a great sailing location with low slip fees like SFB for OC?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
cruising, san diego