Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2017, 03:17   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Crocodile assassination

Have they opened the croc up yet to see what it had for lunch?

Maybe it was shot in self defence..... maybe the shooter is still wondering where his mate went...

Snakes are protected down here on the Campo (in Victoria) but I got 2 big browns last summer within about 4 metres of the house ... one with the .410 the other with a shovel..... not so much self defence as pre-emptive strikes....
Old 24-09-2017, 04:28   #17

Boat: Catalina 470

Sorry but im one for controlling their numbers.
I mentioned on a previous thread that when i stopped at port douglas marina 6 years ago i didnt see a croc, sure up river etc they were there but not in the marina.
I saw a croc 3 or 4 times in the marina this year, once swimming less than two meters from the dock. The dock is not much more than 30cm ( one foot) above the water. Kids walk down these docks. Its only a matter of time before there is an accident (assination of human)
These creature's no longer fear us at all that was obvious with this crocs behaviour and this will end badly.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 14:16   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Sorry but im one for controlling their numbers.
I mentioned on a previous thread that when i stopped at port douglas marina 6 years ago i didnt see a croc, sure up river etc they were there but not in the marina.
I saw a croc 3 or 4 times in the marina this year, once swimming less than two meters from the dock. The dock is not much more than 30cm ( one foot) above the water. Kids walk down these docks. Its only a matter of time before there is an accident (assination of human)
These creature's no longer fear us at all that was obvious with this crocs behaviour and this will end badly.
Agreed, Dale! The croc population is not in danger of extinction, they have shown that they can rapidly recover from the near extinction that resulted from over hunting some years back, and now they are threatening us humans. Frankly, spending big bucks to trap and relocate errant individuals is crazy. Seems that I read that they then "relocate" themselves back to being a nuisance.

At any rate, when they show up in urban areas, I think execution is appropriate. I could possibly become a tree hugger. I am in no danger of becoming a croc hugger!

Jim
Old 24-09-2017, 14:35   #19

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Agreed, Dale! The croc population is not in danger of extinction, they have shown that they can rapidly recover from the near extinction that resulted from over hunting some years back, and now they are threatening us humans. Frankly, spending big bucks to trap and relocate errant individuals is crazy. Seems that I read that they then "relocate" themselves back to being a nuisance.

At any rate, when they show up in urban areas, I think execution is appropriate. I could possibly become a tree hugger. I am in no danger of becoming a croc hugger!

Jim
Hi Jim, you know Port Douglas. Im sailing back from low island, had my parents and their friends on board, had just entered the channel opposite the first water side restraunt and a croc swam across in front of the boat.

They have absolutely no fear of us or civilization anymore.

To be honest i have know interest in cruising nth Queensland, between the crocs and the jellyfish? People worry about pirates further a field i trully believe the crocs on the Queensland coast are a greater risk.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 14:38   #20

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Fishing for Barramundi along the coast of Queensland north of Cairns we saw numerous salties bigger than our 14 foot dinghy. True monsters.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 17:11   #21

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

A decent sized croc was seen dragging a cow into the Mary River near Maryborough , Near Hervey Bay. Had to do some in-water hull work last year but was very conscious of them and had someone watching.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 19:59   #22

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

There are Greenies and there are Greenies.

I am a Greenie in that I'm all for sensible management of fauna and flora.

The key word is sensible, the world is full of people looking for ways to be offended or disgusted by someone or something and they will swallow and regurgitate any BS to support their position and make themselves feel like crusaders.

They now have swimming croc warning signs on Fraser Island. That's 100nm North of Brisbane. This summer there may be a sighting in Moreton bay.

It's well past time to push back, the government have been slow to address this and more and more people will kill them as they come into that person's territory.
Old 25-09-2017, 00:18   #23

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

These animals have historically ranged all the way down to Brisbane, and perhaps even further South in warm conditions. By the early 1970s they were at their lowest ebb, but their range at that time is not representative.

Killing them to make them retreat to some kind of arbitrary zone where they are deemed "allowed" seems misguided. Instead, tourism should rejoice in the fact that we have one of the few ecosystems left which can support a 5m apex predator.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 00:24   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Instead, tourism should rejoice in the fact that we have one of the few ecosystems left which can support a 5m apex predator.
Rejoicing would likely be diminished w hen the tourist finds himself just below the apex, doin' the crocodile roll.

Jim
Old 25-09-2017, 00:31   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

What is missing is the reason the person shot the Croc?

Which makes this particular example meaningless.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 00:42   #26

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Rejoicing would likely be diminished w hen the tourist finds himself just below the apex, doin' the crocodile roll.

Jim
A bit of web searching suggests that there are apparently 0.8 fatal croc attacks per year in Australia.

Three people die from shark attacks in Australia every year. (Should we kill the sharks first?)

How many people die on Queensland roads every year? The true magnitude of the threat from crocs - and wildlife in general - is surely being overstated in this instance.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 01:05   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
A bit of web searching suggests that there are apparently 0.8 fatal croc attacks per year in Australia.

Three people die from shark attacks in Australia every year. (Should we kill the sharks first?)

How many people die on Queensland roads every year? The true magnitude of the threat from crocs - and wildlife in general - is surely being overstated in this instance.
Yep, I can't believe people think that crocs are are threat that deserves oxygen when one woman a week dies from domestic violence in Australia.
Old 25-09-2017, 01:30   #28

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:

Fundamental diff between sharks and crocs.... sharks can't chase me down the street....
Old 25-09-2017, 01:53   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

And you can't turn a shark into beef burgers. The solution to crocs is to farm them, hey even charge the tourists to hunt them if you like. Anything that creates taxable occurences and generates income.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 02:11   #30

Quote:
Killing them to make them retreat to some kind of arbitrary zone where they are deemed "allowed" seems misguided. Instead, tourism should rejoice in the fact that we have one of the few ecosystems left which can support a 5m apex predator.
Tourism is a great solution when used on a small scale but collapses when talking large scale.
- If you are the only town with crocs, tourists will queue up to see them.
- If they are common over a 1500 mile stretch of coast with hundreds of towns, there are no enough tourists to go around.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote