Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-06-2008, 00:28   #16

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Changing the topic a bit - but on the subject of tide's, have either of you two been through the "French Pass" against the full tide? Obviously not big swells but an incredible amount of tide & if you get it wrong in that "tight squeeze" them you're on the rocks

Old 19-06-2008, 00:58   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
Exfishnz I also wondered about SE of the Airport runway but thought that all the rocks to seawards there would show up if so, but I may be mistaken
I think you are right. If she was leaving going through the heads then we'd see the coastline in the background (Pencarrow to Baring head). I think she's heading towards Sinclair Head (as you stated) & into the Karori rip, which would assume that the video is taken around by Island bay (or maybe a bit further west as far as a car can go). From memory, there's a quarry west of Island Bay & that's where the public roads end.

Quote:
old now long unused Karori light
hmmm... will have to update my old chart

Old 19-06-2008, 02:11   #18

The current through French Pass gets faster than we can motor into it but we have been through a number of times just making ground against the current. But I don't like doing it due to the very strong eddies and it is difficult before one gets into it to see if something biggish is coming the other way and not given the mandatory vhf warning.

Quite some years back now a friend of mine took an 110 foot sail boat through there under sail .
Old 19-06-2008, 03:51   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Arrr, that's more like it. It's far easier to read than Google. Sinclear head, you are indeed right John. Mate, I am so glad I don't have to traverse that place as often as you do. That chart does help me understand why it was so wild for me. I took a straight line from the Brothers across. In fact, I came inside the Brothers, in between them and Awash rock. That would have placed me a lot closer to Karori than I thought I would have been. So does taking a line to Tory help you clear that wild stuff, or does it carry on out to far to be worth trying to avoid. A guy at Seaview told me it just keeps going.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 04:04   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

French Pass, now isn't that interesting. I think nothing of it and we often sail through it. I guess because that is my backyard, I am used to it. Stevens Passage is the awesome one and commands a lot of respect. Actually Cape Stevens, that's around the top of the Island, is also a place to be careful of. Once again the tide rip can be tremendous with 300ft of water moving like a river. But Stevens passage seems so remote and wild, you feel like you are rounding some cousin to Cape Horn. I just love it out there. Then you transit down into Port Hardy and the entire remote and wild feeling is completely spoiled by a some holiday home.

Old 19-06-2008, 04:11   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
So does taking a line to Tory help you clear that wild stuff
Nope, sorry

Quote:
A guy at Seaview told me it just keeps going.
No. The chart notes 2.75nm from Karori light while also noting the rip is from Terawhiti to Sinclair. We once carried pots past there & lost a couple, after that we just kept about 4nm of the light if really concerned. Having said that, if she's really kicking a major stinker, then you get hammered everywhere in the Straits
Old 19-06-2008, 04:45   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfishnz View Post
We once carried pots past there & lost a couple
All loaded (at Seview) ready bound for 3 months craying in Taranaki. Imagine standing on the top trying to tie 'em back down when going through a 20' rip in darkness, not much fun. Note the trucking strops with the rachets for our 2nd time round, oh & ah 4nm off .

(click the pic to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	pots_01.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	3950
Old 19-06-2008, 05:20   #23

Alan - Coming from Koamaru we go between The Brothers and Arapawa Island then almost always between The Brothers and Awash Rock as you say. Can get some very steep seas south of The Brothers though in heavy conditions so occasionally we have gone just south of Awash Rock before heading across but never as far south as Perano Head.

Heading across I normally make my mind up around Awash Rock area whether am going to go round bottom of North Island in close or 3-4 miles out (3-4 miles out decided this far back does not make a tremendous distance run difference, but certainly makes a big difference if you get between Terawhiti and Karori close'ish in and then find it is wiser to be 3-4 miles out ).

I find from Awash Rocks heading towards Karori the perspective is quite deceptive due to the roundness in plan of Cape Terawhiti and is visually hard to get the best heading and chart work is complicated by the tide which varies alot going across, even backing in places as it eddys. So very easy to end up much closer in on approach to Terawhiti than planned (I think that is what you found). Whichever way one is going one has to allow much more than one thinks for the tide, but is complicated because it is so unpredictable both in terms of time, speed and place (including back eddies).

Going across Karori Rock to Sinclair, if possible in lighter conditions the best ride is generally very close in (but watch out for Thoms Rock) but can be dangerous if there is a biggish southerley swell as it can look calmish but then some quirk of the tide or something starts the swells breaking a mile or two out off Karori - not something to get caught in. It is also pretty much impossible to know what it is going to be like until one gets there.

So, most times now I just set myself up from around Awash Rock to be 3 or 4 miles out at Karori. It is pretty much impossible to do that and maintain it though unless one has an electronic charting system and can monitor all the quirks of the tide on the way to Karori. I have forgotten the extra distance as opposed to going close in but as I said before as long as you set yourself up way back as you come through between The Brothers and Awash Rock it is not great compared to being forced into doing it when you get there.

All that is very well if one was not a sail boat because the wind is usually not kind to ones best laid plans - so we stick to the above plan including keeping to time by not being shy of motoring whenever best to do so and most others do the same.

EDIT: Coming round bottom of North Island the wind can be easily twice that forecast for the Cook area - a pretty good indicator of the wind there is the wind speed on Mount Kau Kau given in the weather reports. Although well inland and elevated so seemingly not related at all, it seems to have similar wind speed.
Old 19-06-2008, 05:23   #24

Quote:
French Pass, now isn't that interesting. I think nothing of it and we often sail through it. I guess because that is my backyard, I am used to it.
That would be right (you're use to it). We've taken the odd person out fishing & some like the waves & some don't. Ironically one commercial paua diver down your way came out with us & didn't like the 2 days rolling in 40kts. Then again, another guy kissed the ground of the Lambton Quay wharf when we got back

Re French pass: We went through there once against the full tide (on way to Picton with tuna), we had a hull speed of 10kts & literally went down to 2kts with the hammer down. I've got some vhs of it somewhere, will have to find it & convert it to digital one day.

Quote:
Stevens Passage is the awesome one and commands a lot of respect. Actually Cape Stevens, that's around the top of the Island
Have been past top of Durville & the Sounds (Jackson's, Brothers etc) many times (on way to west coast fishing grounds). Just taking a look at NZ46, it does show a small area of deep water & shallow water in b/w the 2 islands & saddle rocks & tower rocks, the strong tides you speak of do make sense (large volume of water being squeezed through).
Old 19-06-2008, 06:16   #25
cruiser

I said it before in another thread, but it applies more here:

You guys should all quit sailing and take up surfing. Your conditions are better suited to it!
Old 19-06-2008, 06:21   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
I said it before in another thread, but it applies more here:

You guys should all quit sailing and take up surfing. Your conditions are better suited to it!
But our full keel mono's do surf very well
Old 19-06-2008, 16:25   #27

A young girl sailed an Optimist dinghy across the narrow bit a few days ago - got quite good TV coverage too, more than the usual 2 seconds worth which is unusual.

But I have never seen a cat in Cook Strait - OH I tell a lie , we take our cat sometimes but he meows alot when it is rough .
Old 19-06-2008, 18:06   #28

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Its not often that I feel ill watching boats but if you were standing on the bows of that boat (or on the bridge for that matter) you'd be in free-fall for oh, 40ft? 50? [jk]The optimist would at least be restricted to the height of the waves.[/jk]
Old 20-06-2008, 00:41   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
Its not often that I feel ill watching boats but if you were standing on the bows of that boat (or on the bridge for that matter) you'd be in free-fall for oh, 40ft? 50? [jk]The optimist would at least be restricted to the height of the waves.[/jk]
Yep. You gotta hold on really tight, cause you get thrown up into the wheelhouse roof & out of your captains chair.

But if you really wanta have some major fun, then you go outside onto the deck & jump up just as the vessel is going down on a big wave. We use to have competitions to see who could get the most air under them before the vessel came back up. Having said that, you have to be careful that there's enough deck length (given the vessel is still moving forward), you don't wanta end up in the water (stern) & sucked into the prop (else you're fish food)
Old 20-06-2008, 01:21   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have been on one of those Ferry trips that make the news. We were the last sailing for 3 days and the ship shouldn't have actually sailed. But the conditions had increased dramatically between one ferry coming into Picton and ours leaving. We we not allowed to go outside, but on the inside people were throwing up everywhere and they keep it so damn hot inside. Cool air would be a great help I reckon. Anyway, I went through a door to the deck on the lee side of the Ship and just stood in the alcove of the doorway. The wind was screaming. Just like you hear a storm sound track in a movie. Just screaming and it was pitch black. The ship would rise and then drop and the entire vessel shuddering as the props came out of the water and the spray was going right over the top of us. Then the ships lights reflected off a patch of white foam on one of these waves we were smashing into. And it was waaay above not only my position on the ship but waay above the ship. At that moment I decided I would go back inside. I will never forget that glimpse, and I am very glad I was not on my boat in that.

Tags
Cook Islands

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: