Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2007, 19:21   #1

Cook Islands - Survivor Version

After watching the show Survivor last season, I thought to myself, "what an amazing looking destination." Has anyone been to the islands that were on Survivor? I'm sure there are more to the Cook Islands than what was shown on TV. I was curious if the huge breaking waves surrounded the island, or just the camera shots we saw from the couch. Please enlighten me as to what it was like. Thanks.
Temporarily Landlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:13   #2

I was there at the end of filming. They had a section of Aitutaki and the lagoon sealed off. The area that they were in was on both sides of the only road on the south part of the island. The road is sand/dirt but easy travelling. The area is very beautiful, thick with growth in some locations, coconut trees, papaya, and good fishing. The reef makes the water very shallow and at the very south end it extends out about a mile with coral heads everywhere. The trash left behind was incredible but efforts were being made to clean it up. Mostly plastic water bottles.
The money the show brought into Aitutaki was VERY important to the islanders. Local boats were rented, produce purchased, every accomodation was taken and locals hired to help. The people of Aitutaki were very pleased and grateful.
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:29   #3

More stuff

Sorry...I didn't answer your question. They also used a couple of "motu's" which are islands at the fringe of the lagoon. Water does crash on the outside edge, especially during storms. The lagoon istself is well protected by the coral fringe and is quite calm in any weather. It is a large lagoon nearly 3 miles from the main island at the south end. I did not see the show.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:17   #4

wow

Thanks for the reply! That pace sounds amazing. Was it an easy place to cruise to/around, or were reefs a problem? If you have more pictures, I would love to see them! Thanks again.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:33   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

A good few years back a mate of mine stopped off in the Cook Islands (on a RTW ticket). Got freindly with one of the local gals, who happened to be a member of a very well respected family........he even went back to get married.

He returned home suddenly, after hastily fleeing with genuine "concern" for his well being. It is very hard to keep any secrets on an Island.........and he always had trouble "keeping it in his trousers".

Perhaps not quite the advice you were after
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:43   #6

Not quite
Old 01-02-2007, 12:32   #7

The lagoon is barely navigable in a dinghy...running a sailboat around inside the lagoon is impossible. A long narrow channel, cut into the coral, winds from the open ocean to the small harbor. Depth is 6 feet at HIGH TIDE. The channel is maybe 25 feet wide, scary going in a 20' beam catamaran. Lots of people hit the coral, some several times.

My photo's are here Yahoo! Photos - Aitutaki Cook Islands
Old 01-02-2007, 14:26   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
I have been to Rarratonga. The capitol of the Cook Islands. It was in a storm and we were tied off the dock on a Swan 57. So we only stayed there for a couple of days.People were among the freindliest I have ever met. This was some 20 years ago. I loved it though. Want to go back to some of the more remote islands. It is supposed to be a diving meca.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:02   #9

I hated Raro...I spent 2 weeks there and got off the boat 4 times. The rest of the time was waiting around to move the boat because a ship was coming in, another yacht behind was leaving or the winds were going to switch around. The fee's are 2.75 per meter per day for a cat, 2.00 per meter per day for a monohull. $462 dollars for 2 weeks TO ANCHOR and I moved my boat nearly everyday. Then a $30 departure fee. Not a lot to see, snorkeling isn't great, but very nice people. I'd never go back.
Old 02-02-2007, 16:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapena
I hated Raro...I spent 2 weeks there and got off the boat 4 times. The rest of the time was waiting around to move the boat because a ship was coming in, another yacht behind was leaving or the winds were going to switch around. The fee's are 2.75 per meter per day for a cat, 2.00 per meter per day for a monohull. $462 dollars for 2 weeks TO ANCHOR and I moved my boat nearly everyday. Then a $30 departure fee. Not a lot to see, snorkeling isn't great, but very nice people. I'd never go back.
That poses an interesting question for me; what are typical anchorage fees/mooring fees in different countries? What region is the highest (Bahamas?) and where is the lowest?

Tags
Cook Islands