Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 12:53   #1

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
Circumventing the French Polynesian Bond ?

i see that if you stay for less then 30 days you dont have to post bond (citing noonsite)... could one conceivably sail around FP for a month, head down to the cook islands for a while, then go back to FP for another < 30 day jaunt? any reason this cant be done?
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 13:00   #2

Boat: Norseman 447
Return to French Polynesia?

After the Cooks, you might not care to go back. People on Rarotonga are very nice, even if the anchorage is a little dicey.

Not sure about the Fr Polynesia immigration laws, but there is the 400 miles into the teeth of the trades to think about . . .
Realtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 13:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
i see that if you stay for less then 30 days you dont have to post bond (citing noonsite)... could one conceivably sail around FP for a month, head down to the cook islands for a while, then go back to FP for another < 30 day jaunt? any reason this cant be done?
The bond is just to guarantee your passage back to your country of origin. FP visas are for 3 months. The best thing to do is simply purchase a fully refundable airline ticket prior to your departure. As long as you have that airline ticket, they will not make you post bond.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 14:07   #4

Another alternative is to use the services of an agent. I used Francesco of Tahiti Yacht Agency and he arranged bond expemption for me. As well, arranged papers for duty free diesel and papers that allow you to buy things as yacht in transit (no VAT) and best of all, duty/tax free booze. (1 litre good scotch = $8).
His services cost $100.
His office is at Marina Taina past he airport.
Pete
rigormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 14:46   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
I entered at Hiva Oha. Found the Gendarmerie to clear in. Didn't have crew but had to pay a bond fo me. In hindsight I would probably just cruise around until I got to Papeete Nobody seemed to fussed. Customs did a cruise up through the swing moorings in Papeete to check for boats that hadn't cleared in. I got tax free fuel but not the tax free scotch!! Next time. I recall it was a pain getting the bond refunded before I left. I was told to bring in small outboard motors from Panama next time. They are cheap in Panama and expensive in Tahiti (like everything is expensive in Tahiti!) Bora Bora was my favourite.
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 18:50   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
No problem doing what you want, the question why remains though.

Sail all that miles and miles of the ocean and express it thru FP in 30 days ...

WHY?

Because of the bond???

I say pay the bloody bond and spend in FP as much as you can. It may be be worth it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 19:00   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigormortis View Post
Another alternative is to use the services of an agent. I used Francesco of Tahiti Yacht Agency and he arranged bond expemption for me. As well, arranged papers for duty free diesel and papers that allow you to buy things as yacht in transit (no VAT) and best of all, duty/tax free booze. (1 litre good scotch = $8).
His services cost $100.
His office is at Marina Taina past he airport.
Pete
Besides this above it is worth it to go through the files of the Pacific Puddle Jumpers Website and Google Group. Pacific Puddle Jump Official Web Site
- - Each year many cruisers use this system and either avoid the FP bond completely by being sponsored or I believe that during this past season used the services mentioned above and avoided the hassles of the FP Bond. The savings in duty free fuel and other items most likely added up to more than the $100 fee.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 19:42   #8

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I wouldn't want to sail to windward from the Cooks back to French Polynesia. That would be worse than positing the bond. I hate prolonged sailing to windward in the trade winds.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 00:40   #9

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I wouldn't want to sail to windward from the Cooks back to French Polynesia. That would be worse than positing the bond. I hate prolonged sailing to windward in the trade winds.
The only sensible way to travel windward is in a 747.
Old 06-11-2010, 00:41   #10

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Besides this above it is worth it to go through the files of the Pacific Puddle Jumpers Website and Google Group. Pacific Puddle Jump Official Web Site
- - Each year many cruisers use this system and either avoid the FP bond completely by being sponsored or I believe that during this past season used the services mentioned above and avoided the hassles of the FP Bond. The savings in duty free fuel and other items most likely added up to more than the $100 fee.
The agent seems to be the go. Next time........
Old 06-11-2010, 08:24   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Don't think I agree with 30 days without the bond. They wanted US$3,800 from us in cash in Marquesas.

The air ticket idea or puddlejupm info I've heard of and would follow that up.

No agent in Marquesas for that idea.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:16   #12

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
From noonsite:

"Boats intending to spend a short time (up to 4 weeks) in French Polynesia are normally exempt, so it is advisable to state on arrival if one is on a short visit only and request to complete formalities in Papeete."

Noonsite: Hiva Oa
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:19   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post
The only sensible way to travel windward is in a 747.
Yeah, but the food's terrible, the bathroom lines long, and there's that fellow snoring in your right ear.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:07   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
From noonsite:

"Boats intending to spend a short time (up to 4 weeks) in French Polynesia are normally exempt, so it is advisable to state on arrival if one is on a short visit only and request to complete formalities in Papeete."

Noonsite: Hiva Oa
A bit difficult to wave a laptop at a French Gendarme and point out Noonsite: Normally

We sure as hell didn't have the required $3,800 smackers sitting in the bank and got bounced. And we left immediately! (after about a week... or so... )

Perhaps thopse intended on going there may care to ask before leaving civilization and taking said advice of French Govt letterhead wiv 'em.

The thing I dislike intensly is that one must act illegally at some point! Either a false declaration of air ticket or whatever, plus an illegal stop in Fatu Hiva before Hiva Oa. No one in their right mind wants to backtrack upwind to fatu Hiva after a 3200 mile leg.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 14:17   #15

I really don't think they are that organised outside of Papeete. (Not saying Papeete are all that organised!) Next time I go I think I'll use the $100 Agent if I can find him. I won't check in prior to Papeete. I really don't think there was anyone taking notice of me from the time I landed in Hiva Oha all through the Touamotus or Papeete.
Sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness rather than approval.