Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2011, 13:58   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Christchurch, NZ Hit with a Major Earthquake

thankyou for th einfo-- be safe and keep up the good work--i like th enew look of your light posts..... kinda cool....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 14:04   #17

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998

Thanks ZeeHag. What are my "light posts" I am not sure what you mean lol.

I have a shaken brain please forgive me lol.

My other photos of all the damage did not work as of course my camera was not charged at quake time. Only had it charged since power came back on.
EllanVannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 14:36   #18

Hello everyone.

The quake had a magnitude of 6.3. Its epicenter was on the eastern side of the city, more or less where Banks Peninsula joins the S Island. Damage was much greater from this quake than the 4 Sept quake because this quake was only 5 kilometers down (ie- shallow). At present there are 75 confirmed dead, and about 300 missing. Christchurch's port - Lyttelton- is close to the epicenter and is consequently more severely damaged. Aftershocks are numerous, and have been since the 7.1 quake in September. Many know NZ as 'the shakey isles', as is easy to see why.

We live in Dunedin, +/- 200 miles S, and we felt the quake here. Yes, sometimes during natural disasters it is better to be on the water than on the land.
CGB GAREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 14:52   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Christchurch, NZ Hit with a Major Earthquake

Biggest problem now is the flooding... the quake and aftershocks are shaking up the ground so bad all the waters risen to the surface making a thick soup of sludgy sand... reclaimed flood plains are often a problem... as they've discovered to their cost in the UK the last few years... but for different reasons
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6C73E1667611C05251E79DF9388B61.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	24130  

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 16:26   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Biggest problem now is the flooding... the quake and aftershocks are shaking up the ground so bad all the waters risen to the surface making a thick soup of sludgy
yes it's called liquefaction and gives an idea of the stupendous force; see Wiki here: Soil liquefaction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are pix of cars in Christchurch half sunk into the roads, looking almost like they've melted.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 16:33   #21

Boat: No boat, looking again.

Heard that my bro'-in-law in Christchurch escaped miraculously. He is a mechanic close to the city centre, he felt the first shock and managed to bolt outside before the shaking hit hard, tools and equipment smashed down where he had been working.

He started making his way home on foot and was one of the first to get to a crushed bus. He is the sort of guy who always tries to help others so he did what he could. One elderly lady he helped out died in his arms as he craddled her. Others were dead before he got to them. One person he helped out had to have emergency amputation of both legs. I feel aweful hearing about it and I wasn't even there. I can't imagine the horror that people are going through.

Our thoughts are with you folk in Christchurch. Even for those not physically injured, it is a very painful time emotionally. Very difficult.
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 18:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllanVannin View Post
Thanks ZeeHag. What are my "light posts" I am not sure what you mean lol.

I have a shaken brain please forgive me lol.

My other photos of all the damage did not work as of course my camera was not charged at quake time. Only had it charged since power came back on.
the bricks fell from what looked like a light post-- what they were really i dont know-- looked like lighting along a path--very pretty.
Old 23-02-2011, 18:49   #23

Boat: Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the bricks fell from what looked like a light post-- what they were really i dont know-- looked like lighting along a path--very pretty.
They appear to be the porch roof supports.
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 11:10   #24

ahhhhhhh forgive me Zeehag

now I read this with a less shaken brain it all made sense. I was confusing actual real posts in my photo with posts on this thread.

Nobody is allowed to pick on me I am living at the epicentre of all this, I get a moritorium for at least another day. So no smart comment back at my dumbness
Old 24-02-2011, 11:13   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Biggest problem now is the flooding... the quake and aftershocks are shaking up the ground so bad all the waters risen to the surface making a thick soup of sludgy sand... reclaimed flood plains are often a problem... as they've discovered to their cost in the UK the last few years... but for different reasons
This stuff is horrible. Spent a while digging a heap out of my Aunt and Uncles place so they could get down there front path. It is soul destroying. Second time they hae been innundated with the silt. Have friends whose house is waist deep in this *****!
Old 24-02-2011, 11:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo View Post
Heard that my bro'-in-law in Christchurch escaped miraculously. He is a mechanic close to the city centre, he felt the first shock and managed to bolt outside before the shaking hit hard, tools and equipment smashed down where he had been working.

He started making his way home on foot and was one of the first to get to a crushed bus. He is the sort of guy who always tries to help others so he did what he could. One elderly lady he helped out died in his arms as he craddled her. Others were dead before he got to them. One person he helped out had to have emergency amputation of both legs. I feel aweful hearing about it and I wasn't even there. I can't imagine the horror that people are going through.

Our thoughts are with you folk in Christchurch. Even for those not physically injured, it is a very painful time emotionally. Very difficult.
Fantastic he is safe...so pleased for you Troppo.

So sorry he has had such a traumatic time.....words are insufficient to comment on his experiences.
Old 24-02-2011, 14:03   #27

Check out this wee peeble that rolled down the hill to end up on the drive up to our house. This is where it rolled onto road also then hooked to left to end up about 50metres further down hill. There are 3 of these wee peebles in total that I can see in the grass below. I was walking down this path to catch the bus to town 30 minutes before this happened - phew!

Note my Dad standing there is 6'4" tall!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_0124milford0014.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	24182   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_0124milford0012.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	24183  

Old 24-02-2011, 20:38   #28

good thing the pebble missed you. dang. gurlee-you and your family be safe...there is a lot of stress in this cleaning up and restoring stage--is a strange time for you and your family as all is still in mayhem. wont know much for a while-- try to get good rest times. be safe and stay strong. we are thinking of you.
Old 24-02-2011, 21:36   #29

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllanVannin View Post
ahhhhhhh forgive me Zeehag

now I read this with a less shaken brain it all made sense. I was confusing actual real posts in my photo with posts on this thread.

Nobody is allowed to pick on me I am living at the epicentre of all this, I get a moritorium for at least another day. So no smart comment back at my dumbness
Aw shucks would we do that ????

My rels in CHC report thier condition as shaken not stirred.

Stay safe in the ensuing aftershocks.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 10:48   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Aw shucks would we do that ????
Yep I reckon you would lol