Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2011, 12:34   #1

Checking-In to Port Angeles

Hi all,
We're heading south from Victoria - planning to check into Port Angeles and then off to San Fran (possible stop in Neah Bay if we need to wait).

We're having difficulty finding the info we need online. Can anyone familiar with Port Angeles share tidbits of info regarding:

Good spots for provisioning (Many things we can't bring into the States, so we figure we'll do the bulk of provisioning there). Is there a fresh produce market?

We can't seem to find Anhoring options online - are there any? Where? (After going to customs we prefer anchoring - we figure they'll direct us to the customs dock when we call on our way there.)

Anything else you think we may benefit in knowing before heading over to P.A. It's our first time checking into the States with our boat.

Thanks!!
Old 27-08-2011, 12:49   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook
Re: Checking In to Port Angeles

You could also try at Pacific Northwest Sailors fourm.
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 02:35   #3

Boat: Currently boatless

Hi Kyra, There is a Safeway about 5 blocks almost due South from the main ferry dock. It's a bit of a walk but it does have nice looking produce and good prices - esp for those of us traveling from Canada. I've seen boats anchoring to the East of the ferry dock but we've never stayed overnight in that harbour. Sorry can't help more on that end. Livia
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 22:02   #4

Thanks Livia! Every bit helps.
Cheers, Kyra
Old 28-08-2011, 22:46   #5

Boat: Cape George 38

The Customs Dock is just inside the entrance to the boat basin (the only one in PA Harbor). Just southeast of the customs dock is a long pier which is all guest moorage. The entire marina is run by the Port of Port Angeles. The Safeway that Livia mentions is really the closest proper supermarket in that area. I'm sure there's probably some local, niche-type market(s) closer, but you'll have to ask a local about that.

There is also the option of the public dock just east of the ferry dock - the observation tower on it is prominent. There are multiple slips on the south side of this and it is closer to town (and the Safeway) than the boat basin. I am not sure if there is a charge to use this.

As for anchoring, anywhere along the south shore would be my preference (inside the 5 fathom curve) between the public dock and Buoy 1. The afternoon sea breeze typically builds out of the west. The western end of the harbor has many underwater obstructions and is subject to tug and barge traffic going to the paper mill. Just be sure to anchor clear of the ferry dock and port docks. PA is a fairly busy little harbor, mostly tankers anchoring for bunkers/stores or awaiting a berth. Beware that the ships have crew launches that operate out of the dock between the ferry and public docks. They can throw up quite a wake.

FWIW - Not many yachts anchor in Port Angeles. It is not the most protected harbor and the wind does blow there quite hard sometimes (even in August). For just a day or possible overnight, it's suitable but I wouldn't want to be there in a gale. Just keep an eye on the weather and you shouldn't have any problems. The bottom (like most of this area) is a sitcky mud.

As for the actual checking in with customs there, I've never personally done it in PA. If they're anything like Roche Harbor, it should be relatively pain free, but they do expect you to follow the rules to a T (ex, only the skipper is to disembark the vessel until cleared). Of course, I'm not Canadian so, your mileage may vary.

Have a good trip!
Watermann is offline   Reply With Quote