Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 16:19   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Checking in to Mexico - bring produce?

red--you will love the veggie tiendas--locl and good..la cruz has a lot of local flavor. mazatlan --depends which side of town you keep boat--on anchor, you are close to centro mercado-awesomest place to walk for breakfast on second floor--many restaurants, inexpensive foods...first floor--fish, veggies, meats, poultry--all mexican style. open . there is a shrimp lady with fresh shrimp--old ones --fish also--have to be iced. new ones are not iced.
when in old harbor anchorage, make friends with the fishermen--bring an ocho of modelo , sit and chat --use as much spanish as you can--these are marine scientists, as well engine repair kind of folks and fishermen.. they also share. is nice to be gifted fresh fishies. tell em i am fine. mario gonzalez, diver, will be found , most likely, there, at club nautico. good folks --50 pesos daily for dinghy docking , wifi, showers, and security. dont need to lock dink. is a panga dock. when i left mazatlan, work was beginning on the restoration project--the place was destroyed in a storm a few years ago--there are no docks. francisco, manager of club nautico, may let you do med tie--there are new dead heads installed as i was leaving. holding is decent, but dont be there in a storm. then it isnt good at all. stone island is a good anchorage.
are you planning any other stopovers after ensenada and before mazatlan(mainland)?
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 16:49   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
They have grocery stores,Walmarts,Costcos in Mexico and theres a good chance most tomatos,corn,grapes etc came from Mex in USA stores at that time of year ,either way you will be ok..good luck..
There is a walmart in Ensenada... with lovely meat, fresh fruit and veggies, dairy....

Of course there are also MANY outlets of the popular Soriana and CaliMax

The big price difference is wine... Wine in the US ( especially the box kind for cooking) is far less in my experience then in Mexico....

Otherwise... everything is available in Ensenada....

there is a cruisers net on VHF 69 at 8:00 am M-F, 9:00 am on Saturday. The cruisers have a web site: Ensenada Cruisers with more info... Friendly group and town.

Entering/Leaving the harbour they want to have you contact the harbour master on 14. New deal.. They also want you to stay in the non commercial channel, marked by AIS tagged yellow buoys..

It is worth checking out the wine country and la bufadora (the blowhole...) Friendly nice place. you can also get your fishing licence online: You want the federal waters one.

Best of luck and enjoy!
EzzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 16:56   #18

red--you guys are already in san diego-easiest way to get conapesca fishing license is to go to 555 5th--is not far from family court--look up on interwebs conapesca fishing license, or even fishing license, mexico--it will give you exact address. it takes all of 10 minutes. you leave the office with license in hand.
Old 10-10-2012, 16:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
red--you guys are already in san diego-easiest way to get conapesca fishing license is to go to 555 5th--is not far from family court--look up on interwebs conapesca fishing license, or even fishing license, mexico--it will give you exact address. it takes all of 10 minutes. you leave the office with license in hand.
zeehag,

how is that faster then doing it online? No trip needed? Am I missing something? When you are done you print your own license and it is over. The time is registering on the site (one time only) filling out the form, giving a credit card, and printing....

How can anything be simpler?
Old 10-10-2012, 17:07   #20

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We entered Mexico in Oct 2010 and cruised there until March 2012.

We first checked in in Cabo San Lucas and an inspector from the Argriculture Dept. did inspect our boat. She didn't confiscate anything, but did ask us to consume all veggies/meat on the boat and not remove them from the vessel.

Like all things in Mexico, this will probably be different from Port to Port

As far as provisioning... We spent about $1,000 before we left San Diego. Then we got to Mexico and discovered that they have a great selection of foods at the local MEGA stores. Also every major city has a Walmart, PriceClub and Costco.

The only time provisioning really became important was when we spent the summer in the Sea of Cortez. North of La Paz, food gets much more expensive and veggies are hard to come by. So if you plan on going up there stock up in La Paz, before you head north.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 17:11   #21

the men in the office in san diego said to me that online is a mexican way of saying snail mail ...only interweb part is the request for form. they will snail mail you the form you snail mail back to them at which time they will send you a snail mail original of your fishing license. do not trust mexican gummint online stuff. do it in person. is just across town from red and rebel, so isnt a bad thing-they have air conditioning also...nice folks.

if what the guys told me has changed, please let me know. mexicans love their stampers--the ones from office have stamp on them...do you have to do anything after you obtain the online one and is it from conapesca???
the only license they recognise is the one from conapesca, which is a government organization.

jeremiasson--the standardization process is beginning with these changes, so everything is supposed to eventually be the same in every port. we will see...
Old 10-10-2012, 17:23   #22

Quote:
the men in the office in san diego said to me that online is a mexican way of saying snail mail ...only interweb part is the request for form. they will snail mail you the form you snail mail back to them at which time they will send you a snail mail original of your fishing license. do not trust mexican gummint online stuff. do it in person. is just across town from red and rebel, so isnt a bad thing-they have air conditioning also...nice folks.

if what the guys told me has changed, please let me know. mexicans love their stampers--the ones from office have stamp on them...do you have to do anything after you obtain the online one and is it from conapesca???
the only license they recognise is the one from conapesca, which is a government organization.
When you register, then fill out the form, then give your Credit card, then print the form (I usually PDF a copy to myself as well as an email, in case I loose the original) then you are DONE. No stamps needed, nothing to wait for in the mail. Done.

Could not be easier and more friendly (well, they could skip the payment part.... ) An Amazing process and the start of (hopefully) a newer eMexico... (one can hope..... )
Old 10-10-2012, 17:24   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Official Fishing Permits / Best Baja Fishing
You can fill out the application online, pay online, and print out the license. You need a license for everyone on board.
Quote:
The entire process only takes a few minutes, and it is very easy to use. However, we recommend processing your permit a few dyas before you leave (do not wait till the last minute) in case of any technical problems. They do have customer support, so you can contact CONAPESCA if you have trouble with the online process.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 17:24   #24

Boat: Buccaneer 240

Walmart and Costco are both on the south end of Ensenada.
This picture was taken facing north.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0193.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	48072  
Old 10-10-2012, 17:26   #25

seems like the effort is there to smooth things out with uniformity between ports and port capitans---didnt hurt to have been dockmate with port captain second in command...
very instructional friendship.
Old 10-10-2012, 17:30   #26

if you leave san diego for ensenada, it takes approx 16-19 hours, depending on weather--hopefully , you will have been smart enough to have bought your usa goods with ye, and not have to reprovision until much farther into mexico. is difficult , not t o mention pricey , to bring items to boat from costco and wallys via taxi in ensenada. scary also--drivers are crazy there. is a lot more sane farther south, however, goods from usa are very pricey farther south. i found tiendas in the villages a best way to find FRESH veggies,as well as flavorful grass fed beef....
Old 10-10-2012, 17:32   #27

Quote:

jeremiasson--the standardization process is beginning with these changes, so everything is supposed to eventually be the same in every port. we will see...
This is an image of the PDF (with personal data blanked out...) of the license. The actual one is slightly bigger (full page) and has a bar code that allows them to verify the document.

I have shown my licence and had zero issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FISH_LIC_BLANK.png
Views:	123
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	48073  
Old 14-10-2012, 07:31   #28

i do not have the band width to bring those shots up to size--if they have the conapesca stamp or logo is official...
have fun and good luck- for folks in san diego already, it is easier to just got o the office. is not far from mexican consulate, 5th street.
Old 15-10-2012, 21:31   #29

Quote:
i do not have the band width to bring those shots up to size--if they have the conapesca stamp or logo is official...
have fun and good luck- for folks in san diego already, it is easier to just got o the office. is not far from mexican consulate, 5th street.
zeehag...

how can it be easier to go to someplace... travel time.... when you just fill in and do all over the internet?...

I have (and others) already said that using the online link is an official approved method of getting a fishing licence... What is your problem with getting a licence online?...

I am not following your logic...
Old 15-10-2012, 22:21   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
if you leave san diego for ensenada, it takes approx 16-19 hours, depending on weather--hopefully , you will have been smart enough to have bought your usa goods with ye, and not have to reprovision until much farther into mexico. is difficult , not t o mention pricey , to bring items to boat from costco and wallys via taxi in ensenada. scary also--drivers are crazy there. is a lot more sane farther south, however, goods from usa are very pricey farther south. i found tiendas in the villages a best way to find FRESH veggies,as well as flavorful grass fed beef....
In some of the small villages a ranchero will often time drive thru the outer settlements in a pickup with a buchered cow for sale,just chopped into large chunks and then you buy what you want ,he weighs it and its always cheaper than the stuff at the butchers in town...some folks have an aversion to the site of meat laying in the back of an old truck with flies all around,but I have never gotton sick from it and its commen place so cant be too bad ,can it?lol..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico