Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-10-2010, 11:21   #16

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
You want this in any place you park your boat or charter. But, thank you for helping to spread misinformation about the Philippines. I want to keep my jewel off the beaten track of other cruisers. I have lived in Mindanao 2004 and have kept a house and boat there since 2005. Not even once have I had a problem like the kind you are eluding to.

But please, dont listen to me everybody. The Philippines is an extremely dangerous country so do not go there.
Pardon me! I guess the newspapers and the media just got it wrong then!
We were due to go to Puerto Galera the following day and we had to cancel due to a widespread lie?

Old 22-05-2011, 22:00   #17

Boat: custom 42' catamaran
Re: Chartering in the Philippines

A person who might be able to tell you is Nigel Roberts. He is building my catamaran and also has a pinay wife - and he is a commander in the Philippine Coast Guard. His site is: Tongo Sail Inn Philippine Beach Resort and he can be reached by eamil at: tongosailinn[at]hotmail[dot]com .

If your wife isn't a dual citizen, there is a Yahoo group called Mag-Anak which has lots of information on this and related subjects. Have a good day.

Old 23-05-2011, 05:26   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

We have only managed to reach the Pacific so far. Sometimes life just gets in the way, but we are still on our way. Would be great to see some pics of the boat. Did they launch her on logs like the website shows? If so, hopefully that is on film........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 06:38   #19

Boat: looking

Nigel Roberts is a commander in the Phil. Coast Guard? I wonder how he managed that? When I first viewed the site a couple of years ago, the prices started at $65k or $70k(AUSd). I couldn't sign in just now, but last time I looked I believe that the numbers have risen dramatically.

I'd suggest that there's nothing wrong with taking a few "friends" out on one's boat & that it is no big deal if they "contribute to the costs of fuel, food, etc. . That's how I planned to do it, anyway.

I see you moving your boat around (spot). All ship-shape?
Old 23-05-2011, 07:24   #20
Eternal Member

The engines are finally running, and finally staying cool. We have managed to get fuel, and water on the boat. Now it's the day to get into town, and get some parts for the dinghy's mercury. It was stolen, and returned while we were away.

We are now mmaking arrangements to haul the boat for the bottom, and saildrive seals. I have a friend flying in on the 30th, and we should be off quickly after his arrival. The move was quite an adventure in itself, but that's another story......i2f
Old 23-05-2011, 21:21   #21

Sorry, no pictures. I was in Subic when they put it in the water. Actually I had mixed feelings about being there - sort of like I don't want to see sausage being made either. Sometimes I understand that Nigel just gathers up all the fishermen hanging about and they pick up the boat and carry it to the water - they move (nipa) houses that way here. Last time I was there an earlier boat was on the beach sitting on four logs - apparently the owner was in the Suriago Strait in heavy weather and struck something. Its good to see proof that the boats can be beached without damage though.
Old 23-05-2011, 21:29   #22

Nigel raises his prices to reflect materials costs, he makes relatively little profit as he runs the boatyard to employ locals and teaches them boat building and repair skills. They typically are closely supervised in the construction work and Nigel does the quality control. I think that the boat has cost me about $75K UDS - and I still have to buy stuff for it (sails for example). I could not afford a catamaran in Californiz - and the water there is *really* cold.
Old 24-05-2011, 07:57   #23

I hope you didn't think that I was criticizing the price increase. Chances are that my initial observations were more than a couple of years ago. Regardless, his prices are fantastic when compared to the prices seen for used production cats, let alone new ones. I seriously considered seeking out his services at one point & may do so in the future. You might consider moving your new boat to the duty-free zone in Subic when you outfit it, unless you are planning to keep it in the Philippines. Otherwise, gear gets smacked with a pretty hefty duty. Best of luck with the build!
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
Nigel raises his prices to reflect materials costs, he makes relatively little profit as he runs the boatyard to employ locals and teaches them boat building and repair skills. They typically are closely supervised in the construction work and Nigel does the quality control. I think that the boat has cost me about $75K UDS - and I still have to buy stuff for it (sails for example). I could not afford a catamaran in Californiz - and the water there is *really* cold.
Old 24-05-2011, 21:47   #24

Sort of a catch 22 here as there is no way for me to move the boat before it is outfitted, and it is the start of the typhoon season and I don't want to go any further north, and I was just in SFP last week and didn't notice that prices were any cheaper (but perhaps that is just Broadwater Marine). I met a German living aboard the s/v Ela with his pinay awawa in the Subic Yacht Club and he noted that he was having trouble getting his sails delivered from Hyde who made them here in Lapu-lapu - they have apparently been ready for a year and there is some sort of customs hangup. I would welcome a list of reputable supplier contacts via PM if you don't want to post it. Have a good day.
Old 25-05-2011, 06:26   #25
Eternal Member

You might want to visit liveinthephilippines, and get a hold of John M. He is the west system dealer in Manila. Very knowledgable, friendly, and helpful fella.You can tell him i2f sent you..........i2f
Old 25-05-2011, 11:38   #26

John is also on LinkedIn:
John Miele profiles | LinkedIn
John Miele, Product Manager, Emissions Control Systems at Simulation Tech, Inc
Old 25-05-2011, 11:52   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
...I met a German living aboard the s/v Ela with his pinay awawa in the Subic Yacht Club and he noted that he was having trouble getting his sails delivered from Hyde who made them here in Lapu-lapu - they have apparently been ready for a year and there is some sort of customs hangup....
Doesn't this sound familiar! John Miele can put you in touch with Rollie(Manila) & I'll try & dig up Rollie's info. & will pm you with it if I find it. Back in the early 1990s, I brought some boat gear in from Japan, through a surplus engine supplier in Davao. They just marked everything as "used surplus". Not sure if this can be done, now, as customs wasn't computerized back then and things were less "official". As i2f suggests, Live in the Philippines is good to belong to, as many of the members have contacts that make things easier. Paul Thompson might also know someone who can help you get your gear without having to sell a limb or your first born.
Mike
Old 02-08-2011, 21:50   #28

In reference to the "panic attack" side-thread about kidnapping...

People get kidnapped in the USA. This doesn't make us afraid to live here. Why should it be such a big deal if 2 people (probably traveling together, flashing too much cash in a nasty neighborhood?) get kidnapped in another country? Yes, it's a horrible thing. On the other hand, this doesn't make the country dangerous to visit - it just means you should be a little more careful about flashing big wads of cash in a bad neighborhood. 2 people, out of how many thousands visiting at that moment, and how many hundreds of thousands who likely visit every year?

College students still pop over the border to Mexico and hang out in boys' towns all the time... even though EVERYONE knows that it's dangerous!

Bad things happen. 2 people got kidnapped, one year. Someone's sailboat sank, and they were never heard from again. Pirates. N Korea might start shooting at anything that comes within 5,000 miles, you never know!

Just... don't live your life in panic. Don't be afraid for little reasons - if you hear that something scary happened, then look into it! Find out what percentage of people it's happened to. Find out if it really did happen! Some beautiful places along the Caribbean have nasty reputations because 1 bad event happened 10 or more years ago - make sure the reputation belongs!

And, slowly back to the thread...

I've also considered the Philippines as a possible location to charter out of. I'm sure it must be a beautiful area, with lots of sights to bring people to on a day charter - or possibly run week-long charters, and run a good section of the Philippine's coasts.

Fair weather.

-Mathew
Old 02-08-2011, 21:59   #29

The philippines is beautiful, Mathew, but your kidnap comparisons are apples & oranges. One doesn't need to flash money to be "kidnap-worthy" in some areas of The RP. Still, we are talking about a spread-out island nation where most areas are relatively safe.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:00   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

If I had money to invest(in a charter business) ,lets say 10,000 US I would find ten people who have a business plan and invest 1000.00 in each person and if only 1 person was to be a winner well then I would be a winner also, and the odds are in your favor that more than one would be a good investment as the folks in PI are very industrious and hard working so you may have the makings of an enterprise...or you could put all your eggs in one basket in a developing country and just let someone watch an outsider come in and make money while they sat by and watch... then when they get tired of seeing you live large they may trump up some wild charges and make sure you get on a plane to where ever. People who have nothing have nothing I want ..might consider starting a business and giving a local a partnership and let them run the business end of things..while you live in paradise..just a thought ...that has worked for me... and you increase your odds as any Smart business man or woman would tell you is a good thing ...of course im A-typical and spell words wrong. good luck..been there done that ..not trying to be a smart ass..DVC

Tags
Philippines

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: