Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-09-2010, 04:18   #16

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Your plan sounds really good and I am sure you will love it!

jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:26   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
There are some fantastic spots there. Definitely worth visiting.

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 14:42   #18

Boat: Hunter 31
Thank You All!

I really appreciate all the feed back I have gotten. I know I posted this a while ago but I just wanted to give a quick update. I am booked! I went with Tahiti Yacht Charters because they really worked with me on the price for a 2007-2008 Lagoon 380. I haven't sailed that model but she looks perfect for us. We will have nine days on board and one on land. I have always felt it is great to live in the moment, but I cant help every once in a while to think ahead to next summer. I will post about the trip and TYC when I return.
Rich_Maler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 14:52   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I don't think you will posting about the trip when you get back - - you will be too depressed about having to come home and leave/stop sailing French Polynesia.
- - That was my personal experience the first time I sailed there. IMHO, it is about the top of any sailing experiences in the chartering world.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 07:52   #20

Boat: Hunter 31
Re: Chartering In Tahiti . . .

La Orana, I wanted to share a bit about my experiences in French Polynesia and encourage anyone who might want to charter there to go for it! You will not regret it. I posted last year when I was in the planning stages for this trip. It was our 10 th wedding anniversary and I was thinking a land based vacation might make more sense. I appealed to the cursing forum for some insight and got some good advice. I did wind up chartering a Lagoon 380 catamaran from Tahiti Yacht Charters, who I would use again and recommend to others. The choice to charter instead of staying at resorts was very wise! I couldn’t see any advantage to staying on land when I was there. We went ashore to the resorts and restaurants when we wanted to spend big bucks, but when we didn’t we grilled out which was perfect! BTW the charter company provided a list and provisioned the boat for us. Groceries along with everything else in F.P. are expensive but the charter company charged us a 10% fee over regular prices which I felt very reasonable (receipts from the supermarket were provided).

When I was looking at hotels I was lured in by the picturesque views of and from the famous over-water bungalows. The price per night was extraordinary with the best ones easily ruining into the 1000’s per night. It turns out that they are very nice (from the outside anyway) but they are so close to one another, not my idea of a tropical island getaway. I was able to anchored a few hundred yards from the grandest end units and bar-b-q lamb chops and watch the sunset set behind Bora Bora, a spectacular sight. To me it was incomparable to staying at one of the bungalows. Of course the best part was the next morning we moved on to other less crowded and equally if not more beautiful spots.

I was concerned about doing to much. We wanted to see Huahine and Bora Bora. In our 8 days. The problem is that you need to backtrack to Raiatea or Tahaa to do so in daylight . Also note that in the Winter FP has about a 12 hour day. It is pitched black by 1900. We did wind up seeing all 4 islands and did so at a more relaxed pace that the Agean or typical BVI trip. I spent a couple of nights on Huahine and three on Bora Bora. Basically we did not “rush” anywhere. Of course more time to explore would have been good, but I don’t think I ever left a charter trip that I did not want to stay another week or month.

All in all a fantastic trip! The people and the place are absolutely wonderful, almost other worldly. We went during their peak season, but crowds on land and in the anchorages was never an issue. Unlike the BVI there are only a few dozen boats for charter so most anchorages are fairly open. I could say so much more. If any one is thinking about a trip like this I will be happy to answerer any questions you might have if I can. Mauruuru, Rich
Rich_Maler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 01:45   #21

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Drool, drool, just imagining the beauty of your trip!
Pat, from the Desert Sea
rgscpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 12:03   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 47 owner's version

Rich, Ia orana! It was really nice to see your trip follow-up. I was positive you would come back with a glowing report. After all, what's not to like, except the weak dollar? But with sailing as a skill set you can enjoy more of the real Tahiti and in a more natural ways, as you found. Got me thinking about another trip! Hare Maru!

1ercru is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: