Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2018, 15:39   #16

Re: Chartering Concerns Tahiti/French Polynesia

Second the thought on Huahine...don't miss it,nice laid back island.

We used Navionics through out Polynesia without incident...at night we gave islands a 5 mile berth but daytime is easy to navigate anywhere by sight.
Make sure you set your hook clean before wrapping on the bomies...(you'll unwrap usually at 3am).
Always keep Hinano 6 packs on board...cruisers with scuba gear to save your anchor are easily bribed.
Be ready for 2am 35 knot winds...air horn is handy to wake up the crew of the cat dragging onto you.
Have fun!(we never lock our boat,dingy or motor)
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 16:34   #17
Marine Service Provider

Excellent advice here. I can't add a thing. I was a half-owner of a Moorings boat for four years based at Raiatea. The lagoons are deep until they are shallow but lots of sand bars on the inside of the reefs and excellent nav aids make everything easy if you have good visibility, good charts and a good depth sounder and have done your homework. The charter companies set their depth sounders to a keel offset so when it says zero you will usually have a foot to 18" below the keel but don't count on this alone. And there are some uncharted coral heads (I found at one once) so maintain a good lookout.

Your didn't mention how long your charter is but by the time your fly to Raiatea from PPT and back, maybe with a one day hotel stay in PPT, you would not have more that five good days on the boat if your charter is for one week only. This is not nearly enough to include Huahine and Bora. Since all first timers want to go to Bora, do that and do Huahine on your next trip. Have fun.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 17:09   #18

Boat: Catalina 27

There are things to do and see ashore, but it is not like the Caribbean that has a very developed sailing tourism industry. Sailing tourism in Tahiti seemed more like a side line to me(five years ago).

We never had any problems, but we locked our dingy everywhere we went, with the exception of the coral gardens. It only takes two minutes to do and gives you great piece of mind.

Enjoy the French wines, cheeses, pate and the fresh baguettes!
Old 21-08-2018, 17:10   #19

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

All of these posts are bringing back wonderful memories and the special feelings that we have for Tahiti , the island and the people.

TAHA'A : Wonderful peaceful and beautiful island. Snorkeling the Coral River : APU BAY : touring the Vanilla Farm, and the tours of the PEARL FARMS. Not to mention some cozy and fun restaurants, bars, and live polynesian dancing fun and friends. Lots of easy kick back and warm happy people.

Bora Bora...... on our second cruising of the Leeward Islands of Tahiti, on the second trip, as we were sailing thru the pass at Bora Bora, and felt the impact of the beauty of the island, and the majestic mountains, both Erica and i had warm tears in our eyes.

Our first port of call on Bora Bora was the Bora Bora Yacht Club that has been totally rebuilt since a powerful Hurricane. The photos look fabulous. The small harbor was scenic and peaceful. The also have a dink dock, restaurant and bar, moorings, showers, and bike rentals.

We used to rent bikes there and peddle down the lagoon coast of Bora Bora, neat shops behind the palm trees, and places to stop for a coldie. We would bike down to the Bora Bora Hotel, and stop there , actually we would go beyond the bora bora hotel and stop there on the way back up. Very nice.

Viatape : Use to have to clear in with the gendarmerie and customs, but , now, for us bare boaters out of Riatea , that is no longer necessary. That was in Viatape, the biggest town on Bora Bora. Also, we would not dock there, concrete docks and not good for the gelcoat. Shops, galleries and restaurants and bars and ice creame parlor..

Bora Bora Hotel : We also would anchor, probably have moorings now, and spend a day or two here. Went out on a shark feeding snorkel, but now we would save the francs and do it on our own from Topua Motu. BBH ..Very nice beach, and resort ambiance

.Oh, we also would shut down our dink outboards, a ways out, and row so that we did not disturb the hotel guests. No big deal, did not reduce our happy meters .

Also, there was a new over the water hotel at the end of Topua Motu almost directly out from the bora bora hotel.... might be kind of obscured by the land and foilage from the hotel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are not fans of the cruise ships......and if planning on visiting bora bora you might get the scoops on cruise ship days from your chart briefer. Back yonder several years the cruise ships did not come into the large bora bora lagoon. Our last trip there were three cruise ships that disgorged about 5000, thousand plus or more pax. The roads were jammed with fast moving trucks, vans, busses and taxi.s Far to dangerous for us to bike down the narrow coastal road.

On that last trip, we had friends who were on one of those cruise ships and they were waiting on blood Marys wooden pier. We picked up a mooring, dinkedin and We share hugs and walked across the road to the bar. Bloody Mary's was packed with cruise ship people, and we got the very last table in the place. We did not sign up for all of that, and thus, the next day scooted around to the totally quiet reef side of Topua Motu and snorkeled with the sharks, rays and reef fish. Free, no huge cash laid out for a tour boat.

HUAHINE :

After Bora bora, we , again had a great close reach sail back to Raitea where we topped of with water at the charter base and laid in some provisions and supplies and hinano beers.

Then it was off to Huahine. We found that on each huahine passage we experienced shifting winds, calms, and a very different motion to the ocean. I have never been sea sick, and neither has Erica, But, on our last Huahine passage we both felt a little queezey. We do not have any motion sickness medicine, so we had an apple and a hinano beer, and all was well.

As others mentioned, Huanine is quite nice, and peaceful. Over the years we either rented a motor scooter or a car and cruised the coastal road and the islands...actually huahine nui and huahini iti ( small ). Very, very nice.

Honestly, it takes a stout amount of PF ( polynesian francs ) to eat and drink ashore, so we mixed it up, with bbq'ing on board and eating ashore..... Mama come get your baby boy, the meals we had ashore , any place from Tahiti island, Moorea, or while sailing the leeward islands of Tahiti were superb. Excellent.

Again, get that ON LINE, MOORINGS CRUISING GUIDE. Very important . An addition to the info here on the cruising forum.

We loved Tahiti, the people , the sailing, the islands, the snorkeling.....Everything !
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 09:40   #20

Boat: Allied 39

A couple more thoughts from my earlier post

<<You've mentioned those pieces of software. I already have and use navionics. Would it all be the same or would advise me to follow your suggestion of using GE2KAP anyway?>>

Many folks said they did just fine using Navoinics or paper charts. Yep that works just fine and after 40 years of cruising I can say having an interactive Google earth chart ups that by 75%. To be able to see the bottom and where you are makes things SO MUCH easier. We have done both and I hope never to have to go back to just using charts.

If you have an Ipad with GPS try downloading OVITALMAPS a free GE using app. You zoom in and it auto saves it for when you are offline. Plus it shows where you are and can be programmed to show your track.

If you are bringing a computer and use OpenCPN would suggest either making GE charts (GE2KAP a free software pgm) before you depart and/or download the GE2KAP files from Soggy Paws website. Though you may want
more detail. We prefer GE charts NOT overlaid on regular charts in order to not loose bottom contour.

Soggy Paws Files
S/V Soggy Paws - Useful Files and Links

The Societies Compendium

THEFT
FP is about as laid back and honest as anyplace we have cruised. With that said there is still some theft issues. 10 OB's stolen in Huahine this season, 2 boats boarded and robbed in Tahaa, boat robbed in Avea bay, paddle boards missing. Good suggestions from many about locking the boat and OB. It only takes a second and its about all you can do. For those that say they never locked your stuff up..... you were lucky! We have heard reports by folks who have had stuff stolen are now firm believers of locking it up. We also lift the dink every night. I am not trying to be a doomsayer but **** happens everywhere. Compared other places theft is way down on the list here.

Good Luck

Chuck
Jacaranda
Tikehau, FP
Old 22-08-2018, 09:56   #21

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

As we crossed the South Pacific in 2011, we deeply regretted that we only stayed 90 days in French Polynesia but French Immigration refused to extend our visas. We had no problems navigating anywhere with our 2-meter draft.

You're probably going to want to kill me for saying this but, if there was any way to go in July, you'd get the opportunity to see Heiva, the singing and dancing competition between communities and islands which is nothing short of a fabulous cultural triumph. The way those women move their hips makes the imagination soar! In fact, I think that the French Polynesians are the most attractive people in the world.

I would also encourage more time in Huahine. Bora Bora is beautiful but pretty touristy.

Congratulations, fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 03:50   #22

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Pedro,

I forgot to mention an important thing, since it is your honeymoon cruise. On our boat, we have a saying:

"All rules of marital civility are null and void during anchoring or docking."

We usually laugh at each other when we say it as we get ready to drop the anchor or pull up to an unfamiliar dock. Anything said during those times is forgotten immediately afterwards. It's kept us laughing all these many years sailing together.

I see some folks have mentioned IPAD and GPS navigation. I use an IPAD with I sailor on it on my boat, and when we charter. I will let you know when I get back, but my plan is to use charts and heads up navigation only due to the reefs. This is what I do in the BVI, when we go.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 05:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Pedro,

I forgot to mention an important thing, since it is your honeymoon cruise. On our boat, we have a saying:

"All rules of marital civility are null and void during anchoring or docking."

We usually laugh at each other when we say it as we get ready to drop the anchor or pull up to an unfamiliar dock. Anything said during those times is forgotten immediately afterwards. It's kept us laughing all these many years sailing together.
Ben
hahahahahaha good one Ben. I love that rule and will implement it right away!

cheers
pedrobraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 10:18   #24

I have created a new thread focusing only on Chartering companies in French
polynesia. You've been so kind so far, if you could help me a little bit further I would be eternally grateful!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ia-206436.html

Apparently Sunsail and Moorings are way to pricy for me and Dream Yatch Charter is almost fully booked. Thus I'm looking at Boatbookings and Sailconnections. The issue is I had never heard of them and would like any reviewing or reassuring info!

Thanks a lot.
Old 26-08-2018, 11:13   #25

Pedro,

I have chartered a total of 8 times all over( BVI 5 times,; Greece, St.lucia and the grenadines, and now French Polynesia. During those times I have been around other people who have been on other companies boat. There was always one or two horror stories with some of the other companies. Although Moorings is slightly more expensive, I have found their customer service to be impeccable. In addition, I have found the boats to be very well maintained and new. Perhaps, change the type of vessel that you are trying to take to reduce the cost. My wife and I spent three weeks in Greece with the Moorings on a 32-foot Sun Odyssey and found that boat to be almost too roomy for the both of us.

I'm not answering your question, and I'm sorry about that. I am trying to give you some advice based on my personal experience. When you're away on vacation and there is a failure, it shoots the entire trip. this is why I have always spent a little more money on the front end so I never had any worries while on vacation.

One time, the outboard on the dinghy stopped working and The Moorings people or at my boat within 30 minutes in the BVI with a brand new outboard and gas tank. When they arrived they were unbelievably apologetic for the disruption in the vacation which was not at all. When we were in Greece, the anchor windlass developed a short circuit. They had somebody come to our boat in syros, Greece, because that's where we were and fixed the problem within 1 hour. After those two episodes and customer service, I became a Moorings loyalist until proven otherwise.

Ben
Old 19-12-2018, 07:54   #26

Pedro,

Hope all is well. I got back from French Polynesia. It was a great trip. There were a few things I did not anticipate, but....the paper charts I had were perfect, and I used iSailor on my iPad. I found this way better than the on board chart plotter which I did not use at all. I also brought my own binoculars, which were indispensable!! If I can answer any questions, let me know.
Old 19-12-2018, 08:54   #27

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Yo, capt. Ben

Good on ya, Lad, sailing Tahiti,,,,, good on ya, from Denny and Erica.

We also went with the moorings three times and then sunsail the last two week sailing vacation. We had zero problems on all four of our Tahiti Sailing Vacation.s

We did have problems with the moorings boats in the BVI, and Australia, but, they cam out ASAP.

Funny story as to Moorings outboard in the BVI. Marina Cay: I decided we would drop off and go up to the fuel dock and top off our water. But, the wind was about 18 or so, blowing off the dock , and I wanted to check out their tie up system. Cleats, rails, bollards, whatever, and be ready with lines .

I am in the dink, slowly pull up along side the dock, checked it out. OK. I turned the bow of the dink back out toward our boat and advanced the throttle, the bloody beast goes into ALL HEAD FULL, and I am roaring thru the mooring field and cannot get the throttle grip handle to move. That turkey is flat jammed,

Zoom, zoom, I circle past our sailing vessel, and head back, as I approach I yell for Erica to GET TOPSIDE....Roar, roar, as I go flying past.

Up she comes, I now pass close aboard our port side, yelling...STUCK THROTTLE, I AM CIRCLING BACK TO STARBOARD QUARTER, BE READY TO TAKE THE DINK PAINTER, i WILL SHUT DOWN BEFORE i GET THERE.

ZOOM, ROAR, SPEED, Here we come, me and the dink, full power, I plan on my fore-reach.....bloody perfect. I pull the shut down coard, total silence, and the bloody dink stops dead in the water. It missed fore reach 101 in the design shop.

I tossed Erica the dink painter, but it was about a foot too short for her to grab. I am on my way out to sea.

Now, I grab the oar, there are two, but no oar locks, so now I am paddling madly into that 18 to 20 mph wind, sitting up at the bow of the dink, using the hawaiian paddling style.

You guessed, I am now quickly drifting astern, paddle, paddle, drift back, drift back.

I was about to tell her to start the engine , drop off the mooring and come and rescue my wayward bones . But, one of our amused neighbors leaps his his dink, comes over and I hold on side to and he motors me back to our still moored boat.

This comes back to the Moorings. We left Marina Cay, headed back to the moorings base. I called them on the VHF, and they told us to end tie at the T -dock. We did, and they came, checked the problem, and brought us a brand new shiny dink and motor. All was well.

WHAT I SHOULD HAVE DONE, DUMMY ME....was to approach the bow of our sailing vessel from up wind, and let the wind drift blow the dink to the boat. Him Dumb !

Also, one quick one, in The Whitsunday Islands, Australia, way out from the base, we had an electrcal problem that I could not figure out. I thought is was a bad battery, No power to start engines , flush the electrical marine head. The VHF , I could not use to radio the base, due to the blockage of the signal by the islands. Great Aussie cruisers relayed the traffic from me and from them.

Sure enough, we went snokeling, and by the time we returned the our sailing vessel
( moorings or sunsail ..two separates, ) the base personnel were on board. Turned out to be a solonid , and the staff had brought one with them. In a few minutes, we were up alpha, and all was well.

So, we certainly do agree with you, things do happen, but we also like to stay ahead of the power curve as best we can.

Actually, and I wont get into this any further, but due to a bad boat, old one, with the moorings, we just went with Sunsail ( same corporation )....except now in the BVI we bare boat with Conch.

So, for the best top of the line vessels, with moorings, we would spend the extra bucks and go with what I believe was their newer premium fleet.

Let us know about your Tahiti Trip...we loved those islands.

Maruru Roa

and MANUIA

Denny and Erica
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 09:57   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Pedro,

Hope all is well. I got back from French Polynesia. It was a great trip. There were a few things I did not anticipate, but....the paper charts I had were perfect, and I used iSailor on my iPad. I found this way better than the on board chart plotter which I did not use at all. I also brought my own binoculars, which were indispensable!! If I can answer any questions, let me know.

Ben that is awesome to hear! good to know that you have a good time.

Great tip about binoculars, I'll be sure to bring them.

How was sleeping? could you find moorings most days? or anchoring was fine?

Any musts around the society islands?

Great stories Denny and Erica!

Cheers!
Old 29-04-2019, 12:43   #29

Guys, the day has come! i'm in the airport right now. Could you give me one last piece of advice and refer me to some good websites for local forecast? I've checked a generic one that said thunderstorms and winds of 35 kts..... =/

Any advice on those conditions?

thanks!
Old 29-04-2019, 12:46   #30
Marine Service Provider

Windy and Wind Guru.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, enc, French Polynesia, tahiti