Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2012, 10:52   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Change of Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post
G'day, mate. Kinda. Don Anderson, yacht Summer Passages has been giving cruisers detailed weather info in the Pacific for years. He is on the Amigo net 14:00 UTC 8.112 or 8.116 MHz and the SouthBound net 00:55 UTC on 8.112 MHz and 01:15 UTC on 4.054 MHz. He just took a 2 month sabbatical for a couple of months and should be back on the air when you come across. The closer you get to Oz, you'll probably loose the propagation back with these nets. Sometimes Don will do relays through the PacSea net, 03:00 UTC on 14.300 MHz.

There are a couple of "paid for" weather routers, but you will need email capability. If you have that, then you can get the GRIB weather files anyway.

Let me know if you need additional info. What way are you going around OZ, top or bottom? Cheers.
Talking to an Aussie the other day and he reckoned the South routes do-able with Easterlies... just duck in and hide till each depression passes then ride the E'lies round in 2 or 3 legs.... but would like more confirmation on that one...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-03-2012, 10:58   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
hey man, you know we want the skinnny on those "events".

And every thing else.

Liz insists on me emailing you a pic of her.* She's a babe if on the ++ size. Single. Dough. 39 yo in Feb. Hubba Hubba

*kidding

Hey.... I remember Liz well....
a memorable lady indeed... if thats the Liz of the BackStreet....
gimme that picture....
Give her my e-mail...... PURLEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZ

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-03-2012, 12:38   #18

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Change of Plan

Boatman,
You can contact Don Anderson directly via e-mail, to clarify freqs, etc. (as he also uses 12.359mhz and 16.528mhz, for those far offshore) as well as discuss your passage and routing....
His website is Don on Summer Passage

And, In addition to Don, you may wish to contact Karsten Staffeld, a Danish sailor and long-time resident of Panama, who like Herb Hilgenberg (SOUTHBOUND II), offers detailed weather forecasts and routing advice, both by voice and email to yachts making the run across the Pacific....
karstenpanama - at – hotmail.com

I hope this helps...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 19-03-2012, 12:52   #19

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Boatman. You'll definitely have more options to "duck in" going the south route around Aussie. More options to get fuel and motor through a stretch of light winds if needed. What's your approximate timing to arrive around the dateline. Cheers.
Old 19-03-2012, 12:52   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wow--change in route?
is ye gonna be coming near where i am???
good luck with the techie side of it--i cant help ye there....
Old 19-03-2012, 15:20   #21
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Talking to an Aussie the other day and he reckoned the South routes do-able with Easterlies... just duck in and hide till each depression passes then ride the E'lies round in 2 or 3 legs.... but would like more confirmation on that one...
This really depends on season, a lot of eastlies near the coast during summer; winter, not so much. Plus you will be riding beam on a very decent sized southely swell. You already have concerns about being top heavy in the SO.

Quote:
G'day, Boatman. You'll definitely have more options to "duck in" going the south route around Aussie. More options to get fuel and motor through a stretch of light winds if needed. What's your approximate timing to arrive around the dateline. Cheers.
Perhaps its just different perceptions but I wouldn't call the stretch between Adelaide and Perth having more options to duck in at all. Sure there is Port Lincoln and Albany (with Esperance at a stretch). This is a pretty hostile section of coastline with a predominantly lee shore in winter.

The top is still trade wind downhill sailing but I agree there is not many options for fuel.

The distances are about the same assuming the approach to Oz is in the north (again traditionial TW route) but it really depends on season. The top is no place to be in summer and the bottom is (IMO) no place to be in winter.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 19-03-2012, 15:50   #22

Boat: Mason 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
The distances are about the same assuming the approach to Oz is in the north (again traditionial TW route) but it really depends on season. The top is no place to be in summer and the bottom is (IMO) no place to be in winter.
G'day, mate. Thus, my question about approximate timeframe arriving at the dateline. Based on where we are at in the year, it looks it will be the northern route, unless he can swing a deal to get "paid" to hang in "paradise" somewhere until our next spring season down here. Cheers.
Old 20-03-2012, 05:12   #23
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
G'day, mate. Thus, my question about approximate timeframe arriving at the dateline. Based on where we are at in the year, it looks it will be the northern route, unless he can swing a deal to get "paid" to hang in "paradise" somewhere until our next spring season down here. Cheers.
At the rate this voyage is going, he will take all winter to cross the Pacific so you might be right; he will be getting paid to sail (cruise) in paradise and get here just in time to ride the summer coastal easterlies across the bottom.
Smart man Capt. Boatman.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 20-03-2012, 05:21   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
At the rate this voyage is going, he will take all winter to cross the Pacific so you might be right; he will be getting paid to sail (cruise) in paradise and get here just in time to ride the summer coastal easterlies across the bottom.
Smart man Capt. Boatman.
i just hope the owners arent following this thread !!!
Old 20-03-2012, 06:21   #25
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i just hope the owners arent following this thread !!!
I think here is where the owners found him!
Old 20-03-2012, 06:29   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I think here is where the owners found him!
honesty is allways the best policy
Old 20-03-2012, 06:34   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ahahahahahaaaa
I think this is where they found me as well...
But no worries there... they're an ace couple who've bent over backwards after a slow start due to them travelling at the beginning of our trip when things went a bit pear shaped and I was stressing over crew clashes...
Will be doing the N route over OZ... doubt I'll clear Panama before the end of this month then just planning on a couple of stops to restock on fresh foods... will know more later but want to avoid certain 'reefy' areas for sure..

Old 20-03-2012, 06:38   #28
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Dont ya just love your job Boatman!!- Sometimes when I wake up I cant beleave I get paid for doing what I love !
Old 20-03-2012, 07:11   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

how are you doing for paper charts?

you will be able to photocopy in colon if you can borrow the originals.

there was a good copy shop nr the yc we paid $2 for a0 size a few years back.

should be lots of yachts there following the same route.

also if you stop in port villa vanuatu the yc there has most of the charts you will need for top end and w aus that you can borrow and copy.
Old 20-03-2012, 10:38   #30

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Well Boatman, I guess I'd better cancel that complimentary tour of the Cape vinyards I'd set up for you, with free cases of wine from each...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Closed Thread