Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2011, 23:16   #16
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,440
Re: Casual Queensland moorings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
I only want a swing mooring so hopefully they can be fixed by July?
At the time of our last visit to Laguna, there were no swing moorings... only floating pens.

There are "swingers" at Gladstone, though. They are not much less expensive than regular berths in the marina, and are often booked out. A call ahead would be useful if you really want to use only swing moorings.

We like Gladstone, and have used their facilities for years. It is located in a large and pleasant park (good news) but is adjacent to immense coal loading docks, and coal dust can be a real problem when the wind is from the NE. The staff are uniformly pleasant, the amenities are newly renovated, live-aboards are welcomed, and the rates are relatively low.

If you are considering "commuting" to the Whitsundays the obvious route is via the Narrows. This passage has a section which dries about 2 metres at LWS, so for deeper draft boats spring tides are required for passage (see Lucas's cruising guide for details). Further, as of a few months ago, there was a rumour that access via that channel would be prohibited to accommodate further industrial development on Curtis island. Don't know how that has evolved.

In Airlie, there are some swing moorings that I think are owned by the Able Point marina. However, they are very exposed, and I wouldn't consider leaving a boat unattended there. And of course, that marina would be a place to leave your boat in a pen. Just see your bank manager before making your reservation!! Too, I think you can arrange long term berthing at Hamilton island marina. Very handy to the airport there, but again also very pricey.

Hope that this helps.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Towlers Bay, NSW, Oz
__________________

__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 23:33   #17
Registered User
 
Dragon Lady's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Posts: 949
Re: Casual Queensland moorings

Thanks Jim, loverly spot Towlers Bay.
__________________

__________________
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 23:52   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 165
Re: Casual Queensland moorings

No no body owns islands out there, they lease them from the government.
__________________
foamcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 23:56   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 165
Re: Casual Queensland moorings

I hope they don't close the narrows, that is a fun adventure!
__________________
foamcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 00:00   #20
Registered User
 
Dragon Lady's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Posts: 949
Re: Casual Queensland moorings

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamcore View Post
No no body owns islands out there, they lease them from the government.
Oh well who needs a resort island anyway there are plenty of other very nice islands to visit in that part of the world.
__________________
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 00:01   #21
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,080
Re: Casual Queensland moorings

Its getting closed for the pipeline. Its not closed yet - but the deal is done.
__________________
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 00:04   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,651
Images: 3
Re: Casual Queensland moorings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
OK does the resort own the harbour?
Most of the island used to be a National Park or doesn't that count in QLD?

Just anchor behind Wistari reef (nextdoor and good in heavy SE winds) and take dingy over for a look at Heron. Go ashore and say hello as things change over time. there is a research station there as well. May monitor a VHF channel.

I havn't been there since the 1980's but the area is great.
Just make sure you snorkle the heron Island bommie.It is just north of boat harbour channel and marked with mooring bouys. Can be as good as the Cod Hole. One of the GBR's great dive sites. Just make sure you allow several days and don't be concerned about being amongst the reefs as are acurately charted.

great area the Capricorn Bunker Group.
__________________
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 06:58   #23
Registered User
 
Hotboy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Booker Bay, NSW, Australia
Boat: Westsail 33
Posts: 40
Re: Casual Queensland moorings

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamcore View Post
Gladstone is a great place. If I had to leave a boat again, I'd take it there.
I agree with these sentiments. The marina was friendly. Just be aware the nearby coal loading terminal can share its dust with your boat. Nothing major but still a clean up may be required when you come back.
__________________
Hotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 07:07   #24
Registered User
 
Hotboy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Booker Bay, NSW, Australia
Boat: Westsail 33
Posts: 40
Re: Casual Queensland moorings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
At the time of our last visit to Laguna, there were no swing moorings... only floating pens.

There are "swingers" at Gladstone, though. They are not much less expensive than regular berths in the marina, and are often booked out. A call ahead would be useful if you really want to use only swing moorings.

We like Gladstone, and have used their facilities for years. It is located in a large and pleasant park (good news) but is adjacent to immense coal loading docks, and coal dust can be a real problem when the wind is from the NE. The staff are uniformly pleasant, the amenities are newly renovated, live-aboards are welcomed, and the rates are relatively low.

If you are considering "commuting" to the Whitsundays the obvious route is via the Narrows. This passage has a section which dries about 2 metres at LWS, so for deeper draft boats spring tides are required for passage (see Lucas's cruising guide for details). Further, as of a few months ago, there was a rumour that access via that channel would be prohibited to accommodate further industrial development on Curtis island. Don't know how that has evolved.

In Airlie, there are some swing moorings that I think are owned by the Able Point marina. However, they are very exposed, and I wouldn't consider leaving a boat unattended there. And of course, that marina would be a place to leave your boat in a pen. Just see your bank manager before making your reservation!! Too, I think you can arrange long term berthing at Hamilton island marina. Very handy to the airport there, but again also very pricey.

Hope that this helps.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Towlers Bay, NSW, Oz
Sorry guys I should have read on before posting my last.
Just a note about a passage through the narrows on the inside of Curtis Island. It was a nice motor north to avoid the rough conditions when I went there. But be warned about overhelpful types who insist 'you'll be right mate' Cattle Crossing in the narrows does dry out and if you have some draft then be guided by the local coast guard/marine rescue people as to the best time for your vessel. We didn't and listened to 'you'll be right' resulting in an embarassing opportunity to scrub our antifoul.
__________________
Hotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 18:24   #25
Registered User
 
Dragon Lady's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Posts: 949
Re: Casual Queensland moorings

Does anyone have any knowedge or info on Bowen?
Looks like the marina project went broke in the GFC.
__________________
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 19:26   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cooktown,Australia.(only to collect my mail)
Boat: Fastback 32 cat.
Posts: 158
Re: Casual Queensland moorings

I was in Bowen about 18 months ago,most of the berths are fore and aft piles and buoys run by queensland transport,cost me about $120/week for a 32 foot cat.Cold showers only in the public toilets,laundry can be done at the caravan park or yacht club.Yacht club has a couple of pontoons,full when i was there.Also a few other pontoons owned by others may be available.
Ian
__________________
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 22:56   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cooktown,Australia.(only to collect my mail)
Boat: Fastback 32 cat.
Posts: 158
Re: Casual Queensland moorings

I may have exagerated the price,think it was more like $75.
Airlie marina wanted $450/week even though I explained I had my own boat.
__________________
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 00:44   #28
Registered User
 
Dragon Lady's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Posts: 949
Re: Casual Queensland moorings

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN R View Post
I may have exagerated the price,think it was more like $75.
Airlie marina wanted $450/week even though I explained I had my own boat.
Love it! makes Sydney harbour look cheap!
I've left a message on the harbour masters voice mail.
Even if it's $120 a week that a lot cheaper than the other locations in Qld.
Gladstone works out at about $150 a week for my boat which is cheaper than the others, even if they are walk on marinas.
__________________
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 20:51   #29
Registered User
 
Dragon Lady's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Posts: 949
Re: Casual Queensland Moorings

I just received a quote for keeping my cat at Meridian Marina in the Whitsundays.
Do people really pay $106 per night for a marina berth?
__________________
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 22:12   #30
Registered User
 
DevoDave's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Circumnavigating Australia, currently Melbourne
Boat: Seawind 1160
Posts: 74
Re: Casual Queensland Moorings

Casual is usually a bit more expensive. I'm on a long term arrangement and it costs me $57 per day at Abel Point Marina, Airlie Beach.

Hamilton Island was $95 a day last year.

Also depends on the size of your boat. Longer and beamier means more dollars.
__________________

__________________
DevoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
queensland

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keeping Potential Casual Crew Committed nautical62 General Sailing Forum 20 15-01-2011 13:33
Hello from Queensland sandycreekg General Sailing Forum 2 01-12-2010 22:48
Crew Available: Casual Crew Available for Sydney Area ribbony Crew Archives 0 28-02-2010 14:41
Sydney to Queensland? surfingminniwinni Pacific & South China Sea 22 30-06-2009 06:59
Hi From Queensland damo_ushuaia Meets & Greets 9 10-01-2008 15:25



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.