Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2019, 18:48   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Canadian registration or licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Canadian Provisional licensing does not provide for titling whereas Canadian registration does provide titling.
such as property tax, excise tax, sales / use tax, etc. again each State laws a
This is incorrect. The Canadian Federal Government provides no title or proof thereof. On the back side of a Canadian Certificate of Registry in the lower left hand corner it says ..........

"A Certificate of Registry is not a document of title. "
Old 25-07-2019, 19:02   #32
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I do know a case where a US Customs official refused entry to a Canadian licensed boat when he tried to enter (Key West) from the Bahamas. My friend sailed back to Bimini and tried later at another poe. I've only heard of this happening once. Prior to this incident he had cleared in to the US at least three times with just his pleasure craft license. To ensure no future problems he then registered his boat in Canada.
This is precisely why I carry a copy of Code of Federal Regulations Title 33 (marine section) when cruising US waters. Many of their people do not know their own rules.
I have reluctantly pulled it out a few times to protect myself from them. I say reluctantly because they do not like being educated on their own laws so I try to do it as gently as possible ... "Gee officer I read up on that, maybe I misunderstood but I thought it said ........... see I have a copy of the CFR right here can you show me where I went wrong ?".
Old 25-07-2019, 20:36   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
This is incorrect. The Canadian Federal Government provides no title or proof thereof. On the back side of a Canadian Certificate of Registry in the lower left hand corner it says ..........

"A Certificate of Registry is not a document of title. "
Licensing is an identification system for boats, registration is a titling system for boats providing proof of ownership and recordation of security interests so as to determine if title is clear or subject to liens or other interests. A license does not provide for proof of title or ownership.

Reference Transport Canada website: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...-menu-2311.htm

"Canadian Register of Vessels

If you own a non-pleasure vessel powered by an engine of 10hp (7.5kw) or more, or commercial river rafts in Canada, you must register them with Transport Canada's Canadian Register of Vessels or the Small Vessel Register (Commercial).

Registration is a title system for vessel ownership. It is similar to land title registry. Registration allows for name approval and mortgage registration except in the case of a vessel registered in the Small Vessel Register."

Reference Canadian Vessel Registry website: https://canadianvesselregistry.ca/wh...nadian-vessel/

"What are the benefits of registering your vessel in Canada?

Vessel registration in Canada presents many advantages. Here are some of them:
– It proves that you are the legal owner of the boat.
– It gives the title to your ship.

– It becomes a marine mortgage.
– It lets you use a unique name for your boat in Canada.
– It gives you the right to fly the Canadian flag.
– It allows you to receive up-to-date Transport Canada safety details and guidance materials.
– It contributes to statistics that can assist the Transport Canada in understanding the security risk on Canada’s waters.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 20:49   #34
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Licensing is an identification system for boats, registration is a titling system for boats providing proof of ownership and recordation of security interests so as to determine if title is clear or subject to liens or other interests. A license does not provide for proof of title or ownership.

Reference Transport Canada website: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...-menu-2311.htm

"Canadian Register of Vessels

If you own a non-pleasure vessel powered by an engine of 10hp (7.5kw) or more, or commercial river rafts in Canada, you must register them with Transport Canada's Canadian Register of Vessels or the Small Vessel Register (Commercial).

Registration is a title system for vessel ownership. It is similar to land title registry. Registration allows for name approval and mortgage registration except in the case of a vessel registered in the Small Vessel Register."

Reference Canadian Vessel Registry website: https://canadianvesselregistry.ca/wh...nadian-vessel/

"What are the benefits of registering your vessel in Canada?

Vessel registration in Canada presents many advantages. Here are some of them:
– It proves that you are the legal owner of the boat.
– It gives the title to your ship.

– It becomes a marine mortgage.
– It lets you use a unique name for your boat in Canada.
– It gives you the right to fly the Canadian flag.
– It allows you to receive up-to-date Transport Canada safety details and guidance materials.
– It contributes to statistics that can assist the Transport Canada in understanding the security risk on Canada’s waters.
You have been misled, the link you provide ( https://canadianvesselregistry.ca/wh...nadian-vessel/ ) is one of those fake registry sites. It is NOT a Transport Canada page. Registry is not a "title". Registry does not "become a marine mortgage" however only a Registered Vessel may acquire a marine mortgage, Any Canadian vessel Licensed, registered or not) has the right to fly a Canadian Flag. It does not allow you to receive TC safety details as they keep no such mailing list. And contributes nothing to safety and security. It is a site designed to separate the unknowing from their money Just like the misleading (fake) Documentation sites in the US.

I am a Transport Canada Appointed Tonnage Measurer and Transport Canada Licensed Master. This is my business and I deal with TC Ships Registry on a daily basis. I have also run training programs for their inspectors.
Old 26-07-2019, 06:57   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You have been misled, the link you provide ( https://canadianvesselregistry.ca/wh...nadian-vessel/ ) is one of those fake registry sites. It is NOT a Transport Canada page. Registry is not a "title". Registry does not "become a marine mortgage" however only a Registered Vessel may acquire a marine mortgage, Any Canadian vessel Licensed, registered or not) has the right to fly a Canadian Flag. It does not allow you to receive TC safety details as they keep no such mailing list. And contributes nothing to safety and security. It is a site designed to separate the unknowing from their money Just like the misleading (fake) Documentation sites in the US.

I am a Transport Canada Appointed Tonnage Measurer and Transport Canada Licensed Master. This is my business and I deal with TC Ships Registry on a daily basis. I have also run training programs for their inspectors.
Good observation regarding the second link but the first link is to Transport Canada and indicates that the registry is a titling system. If Canada did not have a titling system one would find it very difficult to finance a vessel or to have extensive work done on such as the titling system avails the recordation of security interests.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 07:07   #36
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Good observation regarding the second link but the first link is to Transport Canada and indicates that the registry is a titling system. If Canada did not have a titling system one would find it very difficult to finance a vessel or to have extensive work done on such as the titling system avails the recordation of security interests.
We have no titling system for vessels as you understand it. Transport Canada will record encumbrances such as liens and marine mortages on "registered" vessels only (not on licensed vessels). The records of encumbrances are avaliable to anyone searching a "registered vessel" such as a prospective buyer or finance company.

Ownership in Canada is proven through your bill of sale.

Attached are photos of my Certificate of Registry. Please note the comment on the lower left corner on the back of the certificate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8571.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	196619   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8572.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	196620  

Old 27-10-2019, 19:34   #37

Hello all just a little update. We crossed the boarder into the USA at Roche harbour. Highly recommend vary nice Anchorage. I did have with me the bill of sale and the Canadian vessel licence. A passport for my self and my girlfriend. He entered all my info issued me a cruising licence. Walked to my boat took a quick look at my girls passport and said have a nice day. I was little worried that I forgot to mention that I was transiting the hole coast on route to Mexico. So made a call to ask about notifications for the vessels movements while inside the country and was told that my cruisers permit had no restrictions. So I was free to move around as I saw fit.
Thanks for all your freed back. Currently 200kms from the Mexican boarder and hope for a similar entry with a Canadian licence no registration
Sailingdecourm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 20:07   #38

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingdecourm View Post
My boat is a c&c 32 so 9.6m. Has any of you fellow Canadians entered Mexico via Tijuana with only the Canadian boat license?
I'd clear in via Ensenada not Tijuana. They've put all the 4 offices you need to go through to clear in in the same building and the marinas have guys who can help you with the process.

I did it last yeat but my boat is registered not licensed.
Old 28-10-2019, 09:57   #39

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingdecourm View Post
………. the bill of sale and the Canadian vessel licence. A passport for my self and my girlfriend. He entered all my info issued me a cruising licence. Walked to my boat took a quick look at my girls passport and said have a nice day. I was little worried that I forgot to mention that I was transiting the hole coast on route to Mexico. So made a call to ask about notifications for the vessels movements while inside the country and was told that my cruisers permit had no restrictions. So I was free to move around...…..
We like to refer to it as the West Coast, or the rugged coast, or the sunset coast.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 17:27   #40

Old topic but I'm old as well.

Well I been around some...you need registration and proof of insurance and a passport and you're gtg pretty much anywhere. I wouldn't leave the dock without Canadian registration.

Never anywhere have I been asked for a bill of sale but Polynesia wants a Maritime Mobile Service Identity
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration