Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2015, 06:11   #16

On Kidnappings etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
Hi G2L,

What a nice reply, thank you.
Deep draft, 7.5'. With the drought its shallower than ever too. However, going up to Sacramento is a good idea.

Thanks for the crew offer. Sounds like a fun trip.
What do you and your wife think of that kidnapping? Any idea if they are closer to release?

Thanks again, C

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
The answer is "happens all the time", but mostly to rich Philppinos and tourists who frequent up-scale watering holes and resorts. Stay clear of them when you can, and there should be no problem.

Also, if on a boat, try not to stay too long in one place or spend much money there, unless you are somewhere where security is very tight.

Take care,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 06:13   #17

Sounds Right ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
In the early '60s I was a teenager that worked on tugs. We delivered fuel barges as far upriver as Colusa. The pipelines ended most if not all barge traffic that kept the channel open. I don't think they dredge any more. A result of the hydraulic mining of the gold rush days is silt still coming down from the mountains. I don't think there is water for a 7.5' draft above Sacramento. There may be sand bars in the lower river, too. 1980 was the last time I was as far as Sacramento. I remember running into 6' depths in the winter. The charts are only a rough guide.
Would consider that good advice to any concerned.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 16:41   #18

Re: California Delta in the Winter

Actually, going up to Sacramento is kinda a waste of time, IMHO. Once north of Walnut Grove, there's not much, unless you cut off into Steamboat Slough, and once you get to Sacramento, you'd need to stay south of town anyway. You can get close and visit Old Town, a real hoot. There's so much more to The Delta east of the Sacramento River off the San Joaquin River.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 18:15   #19

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large

Thanks guys. Yep I am pretty aware of that fog. Hwy 12 is a major hazard sometimes because of it. Interesting about it being called tule fog.
That beach by steamboat slough, I think that's where, is maybe the nicest sandy beach you can find in the delta. You can access it by car too. A great Summer afternoon stop.

Cherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 10:03   #20
jld

Boat: 27' Cape dory, Meander

cherise, I berth in the Antioch city marina. It's a rather nice marina with concrete docks and I have enjoyed this marina. You will find it reasonably priced and accommodating to crusers. The sailors here are willing to share their local knowledge. The summer winds of 20 to 25 with gusts in the 30's are not present in the winter and more often thin not you can't sail. We go when storms come through and I have sailed plenty the last couple of weeks and even past on a couple days. The river can be rough when the tide is going out and the high wind is blowing agenst it. Last night was cold(33 or so) and even tied to the dock with an electric heater It was cool in the boat. Come if you like but I recommed may through august.
jld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 15:09   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
Have you cruised, been at anchor in the Delta in the winter months? If so, where and when and what was it like?
Wind, water and air temp details are much appreciated.

If its too hairy for me, do you know of a low cost marina for 1-3 months? I'm looking for the cruiser rate, not liveaboard rate.
My parents were liveaboard around the inland Delta for 10 years, and I would visit often. Can't help with water temp, but I can tell you that wind and air temp are highly variable in those months, often dipping into the 30's and 40's overnight, with daytimes up into the 60's and 70's. This will help: Rio Vista Seasonal Weather

El Nino this year, so expect rain.

Don't know much about anchorages, but I enjoyed the following marinas:
  • Tiki Lagun Resort & Marina: Low cost, friendly, quiet, near Tracy, CA.
  • Spindrift Marina: One of my favorites. Very small, very remote. Very quiet in wintertime, with beautiful farmlands and birds. Centrally located, and convenient.
  • King Island Resort: Nice, quiet, beautiful remote area, a little more expensive.
  • Tower Park Resort: A little more expensive still, also a beautiful and remote.

Also a recommendation for some local culture: The Ryde Hotel (in Walnut Grove) is great fun. A speakeasy in the basement, and soaked in history.
dpcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 21:30   #22

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large

Thanks jld and dpcruiser, nice advice and detailed review.

Cherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 23:05   #23

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Often the nicest days of the year are during winter, with the air calm and clear, and absent of bugs. There will be the occasional storm/rain, however. We do need a few days of rain to refill the reservoirs and recharge the rivers! Temperatures will generally vary between the fourties and seventies, at nature's whim. Nights chilly but rarely approach freezing.

Tags
cal, california, delta