Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2010, 06:54   #1

Boat: Alan Pape. Ebbtide 33'
Cairns to Auckland - Leaving Early September

Single-handing a 32' Atkins-type double ender.

Pilot chart suggests winds mostly on the nose to begin, moving forward of the beam later ; latter stages, some hope of more favourable:

If 2,400 NM's need to be made, and I average 100 NM per 24 hours, then 3 weeks would be a good time, 4 weeks wouldn't surprise and make provision for longer.

This is my reasoning anyhoo: in the ball-park you think?

questions / comments / suggestions welcomed.

;
Scare_Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 08:32   #2

Off the top of my head at least the first half will be on the nose so distance made good will be roughly 2/3 giving 4 weeks. There might be a gain in sailing more south initially taking advantage of the east coast current and then picking up more favourable westerly and sw. A pretty demanding trip singlehanded with a good chance of some pretty bad weather over that length of time.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 09:29   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We went Tonga to Sydney leaving 16th September arriving early October.

We would have done well to leave a month later.

If you look carefully at the pilot charts for September and October (I am sure you have) compare the Gales Days for each of the squares along the way. I try to keep the squares I go through to a "0".
Some of them in September at 5. Even a 7 if you follow the current too far south and head out from Sydney area. West side of NZ is a 4 and the east a 2.
In October you can do the whole run on "0"'s to the top of NZ and then hide in the Bay of Islands.

Also look at the water temperature difference between September and October. Theres reasons why its warmer

If your planning for a September take off is to ensure you avoid the cyclone season I think you will be fine if you leave it till a month later.

We found the last week got very cold.

She wasn't wearing gloves for no reason!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03813.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	18445  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 15:25   #4

constraint? = due at work 1st October

Thanks for those

As my boss is expecting me back at work in NZ on the 1st of October, I feel a sense of obligation; as if I really ought to leave with some hope of getting there on time (even if only small).

I am enjoying some extended leave. Saw the boat, "What an opportunity"... and now I am yet again facing the conequences of my actions. The 'circularity of life' is Good.

Old 15-08-2010, 22:39   #5

Boat: Peterson 46
You should get crackin on getting south now - as far as Brisbane at least before leaving for Lord Howe and then onto Opua (more likely)
Good Luck
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 23:32   #6

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I'd go south, ride the EAC, visit Lord Howe, then have a better angle for the trip to NOrth Cape.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 01:32   #7

South from Cairns - to BNE & then west to NZ ?

I'm conflicted again.

What is the advantage of 1st heading as far south as Brisbane before crossing the Tasman?

Assuming some advantage is to be won, are we meaning inside the reef, (many, many daily bashes into the SE trades) or : a giant 'Zag' S.E. out into the Coral Sea; followed by a 'ZIG' S.W. - back to the Coast?

Far as I can figure, if the East coast of NZ is the destination from Cairns, then why not head out thru the reef on the 1st day and make for Cape Reinga?

Still Close-hauled for sure, but every 24hrs makes it more possible to get a slant, Dog-willing.

As opposed to heading South (Bne_ward)... into the teeth of the TRades, with ZIP chance of anything but "On_the_nose"

Old 16-08-2010, 03:27   #8

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
South from Cairns - to BNE & then west to NZ ?

Interesting..... be sure to stop by Uluru. Really nice this time of year. It's the long way round to NZ. Maybe a tad more than 4 weeks...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 06:28   #9

I did Cairns to Sydney on a Tradewinds 33 which is similar to your boat. Awful during the day but at night we would usually get a land breeze. Flat water and easy going so you might consider sailing only at night. Get as far south as time allows to get clear of the trades and make a left. Good luck!
Dafzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 07:37   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scare_Rab View Post
then why not head out thru the reef on the 1st day and make for Cape Reinga?
Thats what I would do.

I think you can go starboard tack, close hauled all the way

A 1 tack passage! Yippee!

And you would be in Zero gale squares all the way!

And the water temp is higher longer

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 07:56   #11

Cainrs-Cape Reinga

Hi,
The tradewinds are not that regular any more. I wouldn't sail that distance in a straight line anyway. Nothing is a straight line on the ocean as you know.
I sailed Noumea-Bundaberg once, Noumea-Auckland once, Noumea-Opua once.
If you could sail from Cairns to Noumea... yes but not at this time of year. Anyway from New Caledonia you don't even have to tack once! From Noumea to Lord Howe the south easterlies push you to the west of Lord Howe and then the south westerlies push you straight into the Bay of Islands.
But don't take my word for it!
Old 16-08-2010, 10:22   #12

Oops! sorry! ...I meant Norforlk Island, not Lord Howe. If you sail from New Caledonia to New Zealand and if you sail just west of Norforlk Island, the boat tacks of her own accord, so to speak, just past the isalnd.
Old 17-08-2010, 15:52   #13

On my calculations your course from Cairns to North Cape direct on the great circle is initially 130 becoming 118.
Cairns is at 17 s below the E winds and the trades will be SE down to around 23-25.S more or less Brisbane.
I doubt that that boat will go closer than 45 to the true wind. So you have a choice between 67 and 157.
The south current will mean that you actually make good roughly 90 or 170.
That suggests to me that you will need to head east for a while on stb unless you get a more favourable wind to clear the coast then take the port tack which won't put you far away from Brisbane. There you start to pick up W and SW winds.
If instead you just continued on stb tack you remain in the trades probably with the current becoming against you not assisting you.
Just my rough thoughts. Dana-tenacity has far more experience.
As an aside I see you mention "saw the boat". I hope you have had enough time already to do some shakedown trips and check all the gear.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Auckland