Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-01-2012, 20:40   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We sail a range of sail and power yachts (usually 45-60'). This season, a 55' power catamaran.
Brunei

Any recent advice on visiting Brunei would be welcome! We are sailing there in a 50 foot power catamaran in 2012.
escapeyachting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 21:50   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Brunei

Get as much fuel here as you can
Old 24-06-2012, 06:13   #3

Boat: Careel 22

When you say, Get as much fuel here as you can, do you mean buy diesel in Oz?
I thought diesel was only around 20 cents AU in Brunei
Old 24-06-2012, 15:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
do you mean buy diesel in Oz?
It's exempt when checking out, not sure of the saving but it may not be much more than Indonesia and it could be cleaner.

Latest Solar price I got from Bali Marina was Rp8800/litre
Thats $0.93c

Quote:
I thought diesel was only around 20 cents AU in Brunei
But how will they get there?
Not much wind at times past Darwin and it's not a given that you can buy a full load at Brunei
Old 24-06-2012, 17:18   #5

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Some notes on Brunei kindly posted by S/V Solita:

http://www.noonsite.com/Noonsite/PDF...ageNotes_2012/

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 17:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Some notes on Brunei kindly posted by S/V Solita:

http://www.noonsite.com/Noonsite/PDF...ageNotes_2012/
I wonder if they will do this x 6 for me?

Quote:
FUEL: The boat boys at the RBYC will purchase up to 250 litres of diesel, using their
drums and car, and will help you load it into your dinghy. In January 2012 it cost 31
cents per litre + $30 for the boys’ fee.
Old 24-06-2012, 22:56   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
It's exempt when checking out, not sure of the saving but it may not be much more than Indonesia and it could be cleaner.

Thats $0.93c

Not much wind at times past Darwin and it's not a given that you can buy a full load at Brunei

Even if Darwin had wind it likely would not help OP. He specified he is in a PowerCat.

And Bali is not in Brunei. And I am sure that the boat boys in Brunei would tanker your fuel 6 times if you asked them. Might even get a discount on the $30 fee.

Although I don't know why you would - Labuan is 16 miles away. can ya get 16 miles on 250L?

Plenty of clean Diesel in Indoneisa, Malaysia and maybe even Brunei.

But CMDs advoce to leave Darwin with full tanks is a good one. Especially if you don't have sails...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 23:11   #8

Quote:

Thats $0.93c

G'day CMD,

Good to get some updates on diesel prices in Australia, I was told diesel cost boat owners more than it cost motorist and that put me off straight-out powerboats quite a bit. Anyway, due to the fact that the twin diesel 32' cruiser I enquired about turned-out to be a con-job, I have gone back to searching for another cruising boat and I think I may have found one similar to the boat MV Lifeline. (BTW, Thanks for that link)

The Timber fishing-boat I'm looking at is: LOA: 56 ft. Beam: 17 ft. Minimum Draft: 5 ft. Dry Weight: 54 short tons.
Her power-plant: Engine Brand: Detroit 8V-71. Engine(s) Total Power: 325 HP. Engine Model: 7082-7000. Engine Type: Inboard. Drive Type: Direct Drive. Propeller: 3 blade propeller. Cruising Speed: 9 knots @ 1750 RPM. Maximum Speed: 11 knots. Engine Hours: 1200. Tanks: Fuel: 1375 Gallons Total. Fresh Water: 300 Gallons.

The boat is in the States, West Coast, and she needs finishing the conversion. I was thinking to buy the boat, cruise her back to Australia as she is, after making sure she was up to safely making the trip, going through the import hoops, then take her up to Indonesia, the Philippines or Malaysia to finish the conversion, then return to Australia as and when I felt the need to do so.

The boat I'm looking at is a Monk Trawler retired fishing-boat that was built to fish the Grand Banks and the Bearing Sea so she was built tough as old boots but she is quite a bit larger and heavier than MV Lifeline and she has a larger power-plant so I'm just wondering what her diesel burn would be at cruise speed of 9 knots or, if I slowed to 6-7 knots what would she burn in diesel per hour. I have sent a email to the seller asking if he knows the answer to the fuel burn per hour question, now I'm waiting for him getting back to me.

My boat buy/upgrade/renovate limit is $80,000, all-up, cost of boat plus any and all work needed on the renovation. I have no wish to buy any boat at any price only to learn that I spend all my cash putting diesel in the tanks. Anyway, I'll see how things go.

Bill
Australia
Old 24-06-2012, 23:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
I think I may have found one similar to the boat MV Lifeline. (BTW, Thanks for that link)
Quite a bit different
What you are looking at
Quote:
[/I] The Timber fishing-boat I'm looking at is: LOA: 56 ft. Beam: 17 ft. Minimum Draft: 5 ft. Dry Weight: 54 short tons.
[I]Her power-plant: Engine Brand: Detroit 8V-71. Engine(s) Total Power: 325 HP. Engine Model: 7082-7000.
Vs
Quote:
Powered by a Gardner 6LX, coupled with a 38inch propellor, Lifeline gets along at a cruising speed of about 7.0 knots for 1100 RPM. After cruising the boat for twelve months we are consistently getting 7 - 8 litres per hour at 7 knots (1100 RPM) and we are ecstatic!!****]
Thats about TWICE as many thirsty horses as MV Lifeline

Boats here and now that may suit but all larger engines than the 6lx
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...spx?R=12435930

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...spx?R=12786158

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...spx?R=10824611

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...aspx?R=9380776

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...aspx?R=8396662

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...spx?R=12435930

These came up with gardners in your price range
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...c1&Ntk=BoatAll
Old 25-06-2012, 00:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

And Bali is not in Brunei.
I do realise that but I know of guys who leave Darwin with enough to get to next Indo. port thinking cheap fuel.
Like I said, not sure of discount when checking out of Oz, but surely it would be getting close to the $0.93 cents that you would be charged at Bali Marina, if that was your next stop

Quote:
And I am sure that the boat boys in Brunei would tanker your fuel 6 times if you asked them. Might even get a discount on the $30 fee.

Although I don't know why you would - Labuan is 16 miles away. can ya get 16 miles on 250L?
Is it as cheap in Labuan?
No contest if its close in price, offset by a few crates of cheap piss as well
Old 25-06-2012, 00:28   #11

Quote:
Quite a bit different
What you are looking at

Vs

Thats about TWICE as many thirsty horses as MV Lifeline
About 3 times as many thirsty horses
The Gardner 6LX engine is a 110hp Diesel engine so yes, the Detroit 8V-71 Engine at total Power of 325 HP is a much larger engine but as the boat is 56'L x 17'B x 5'D compared to Lifeline at 49'L x 14'.6"B x 6'D and her weight of 52 ton compared to Lifeline's weight of 32 tonnes, I'm guessing the boat I'm looking at needs the larger power-plant...Oh well, back to the search
Old 26-06-2012, 20:07   #12

Bill, the boat you want may be in your PM box
Old 13-07-2012, 16:32   #13

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
I do realise that but I know of guys who leave Darwin with enough to get to next Indo. port thinking cheap fuel.
Like I said, not sure of discount when checking out of Oz, but surely it would be getting close to the $0.93 cents that you would be charged at Bali Marina, if that was your next stop

Is it as cheap in Labuan?
No contest if its close in price, offset by a few crates of cheap piss as well
Left Brunei Jan 2012, fuel is cheap but controlled. Price of 0.35 Brunei dollars per litre but you have to have an indigenous local to purchase for you and arrange delivery to the boat. We managed to get fuel for $65.00US a drum delivered at Nautica in Kuala Belait.

Labuan is close to $1.00 Ringit per litre aand it is still tough to get diesel at more than 1-2 jerry cans at a time from the petrol station. We paid $2.00R to have it delivered in 35litre jugs.

Indonesia has a few private barges in the northern territories but mostly it can only be obtained from petrol stations as well. We did manage to buy some at a government barge but only because we told them that we were completely out of fuel and would have to stay tied up alongside. We paid 4000 Rupiah/litre, cheap cheap, but fuel in Indonesia is the dirtiest fuel I have ever seen. Had to clean the racor bowls daily and the filtres once a week ue to the carbon sludge build up. Dont recommend saving up to buy fuel here. You can also buy fuel at most of the fishing villages but they will want to make a profit for sure. Expect to pay 6000 - 8000 rupiah but they will be very helpful for this price. Dont take the stuf from the bottom of the barrel as it will be mostly water and sludge.

Good luck on the boat purchase/
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote