Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-05-2012, 17:31   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: other peoples
Send a message via Skype™ to Loco Gato
Bringing stuff into Tahiti

I have to pick up a Beneteau 393 in Raiatea and was wondering if anyone has any recent experience bringing parts and food into Tahiti. I'm thinking 30 packs of Bud, canned goods, snacks, boat parts, and anything else so as to not pay a fortune of the same items there. I understand there are some local farmer's market type affairs there that could be a big bonus in provisioning for the trip back to Cal.
Thanks in advance all

Old 13-05-2012, 17:52   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Re: Bringing stuff into Tahiti

We bought our boat in Tahiti in May of last year. We did not take in food or booze as we had way too much gear for the two of us to handle anyway. Other than a jar of our beloved Vegemite (much respected spread here downunder ).

We did take our own Printer/scanner, Chartplotter, handheld VHF, duvets (not much call for warm stuff in Tahihi), snorkling equipment, binoculars, 2x laptop computers to name a few things. Nothing was inspected or questioned. Just straight out the door after picking up our baggage.

There is a big produce market in Raiatea for fruit and Vege but I cannot remember what meat was like. We stocked the meat and booze deparments up in Tahiti itself...... at great expense of course

cheers
Lisa

Old 13-05-2012, 19:42   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If the prices there have incresed as badly as the rest of the world, I would sure take as much as I could !! the last time we were there was in the 90s and stuff was so high we bought some fruit and a few veggies and left !! any more would have busted our buget for 3 or 4 mos!! LOL Just our 2 cents
Old 13-05-2012, 23:55   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Several years ago I flew into Tahiti to go sailing on a friend's boat and I brought in a bunch of spare / repair parts and random goodies. There was no inspection or customs / import duty, but I did have to pay the airline extra for the heavy suitcase (alternators are heavy!)

The official policy may be different, but they didn't ask, and I didn't volunteer any extra information.

On the other hand, shipping boat gear to Fiji (for a Yacht in Transit) took a full day of running around among agents, the bonded warehouse, and the customs officials. There were many differences of opinion as to what duties to charge, and whether the stuff could even be released to us. And that doesn't count the days spent tracking down the location of the shipment, as it bounced from port to port.

I wouldn't carry in fresh produce, but stuff with a long shelf-life might be worth it.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 16:25   #5

Boat: Leopard 47 owner's version

Air Tahiti Nui is pretty easy on checked baggage: one bag 50 lbs free. You'll get a pass on an additional bag if you mention it is scuba gear, I've never seen them open to check. I did have the counter guys in PPT ask for a C-card on the flight to RAR, (only one was required for four of us).

C&I are really uninterested in checking the LAX flights, just going through the motions.

The more difficult is the PPT to RAR flight, it's on an ATR and has serious limits to baggage, depending on the passerger loads. The local Air Tahiti (not Nui) WILL charge you excess baggage fees something like 2 €/kg. They do have a higher airfare based on a 50kgs allowance and you can get the Scuba bag allowance too.
Check out their website: Air Tahiti : Domestic airline of Tahiti and her islands >

I'd pass on the Bud, it's just not worth the weight premium AND Hinano is really a nice easy drinking beer. Do bring hard liquor it's more than $60/fifth there for anything!

Provision in Uturoa at the central market and the Champion Supermarket. Fresh fruits and vegs are cheap and fresh caught Ahi is REALLY cheap (fisherman by the Uturoa town dock). Expect to pay about 35% more for groceries; basics (rice, flour, potatoes, etc may even be cheaper) Anything imported will be disportionally expensive.
Old 14-05-2012, 19:54   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: other peoples
Send a message via Skype™ to Loco Gato

I'd pass on the Bud, it's just not worth the weight
My brother in law says the same thing!
Good info from all of you and I thank you very much!
Keep it coming bouys and gulls!

Tags
tahiti

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: