Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Re: boating in Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatteras53 View Post
Hi Philip,

This is Michael and Merly.

I thank you so much for your replies.

We sent you a reply about 3 days ago but somehow I think that it was sent in error to the thread instead of you directly.....sorry.

Since I am not the best with the computer, I don't really know how to forward it to you.

PLEASE look on the thread itself for my message.

Little by little, I am getting better with the computer.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

I REALLY appreciated your comments so much, Captain.
Sorry I have been hoping Pelagic would reply.

I think I have your questions as...

I am okay with no insurance but what can be done if it is mandatory ?
Maybe I could buy insurance only to protect the Philippine marina itself ?
What do boaters do in this situation?

Boaters do three things if mandatory.

#1 They buy full insurance which is what your quote sounds like. These tend to be the very rich only.
#2 They buy liability insurance only which should be available.
#3 They ahem...how should I say this...ahem... What are the odds a yacht club would phone overseas for a confirmation?
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:23   #17

Boat: nauticat 44
Re: Boating in Philippines

Hello Philip,

You are right on with our questions.

Option 1 is really not an option for us since we are not super rich.

Option 2 seems best and we are hoping that some insurance co offers liability coverage only for the Philippine marina where the boat will be berthed.

Option 3 is always in the back of my mind since I have found out in the course of my years that life is full of gray as opposed to what I thought everything was black and white.

I only wish that marine insurance was reasonable in the Philippines.

Also, that the Manila Yacht Club was a nice place since it is the closest to where all my Filipino wife's family lives. After a visit to their facility/trying to contact them/looking at the MANY forms to be completed it was so very discouraging to say the least.

If anyone knows anything about the M.Y.C. let us know.

Maybe it's all just a front to keep out the undesirables ?

We certainly are decent people who just want to find a place for our vessel.

The other place that we checked out was the Maya Maya Yacht Club.

Several fellow boaters have suggested Puerto Galera Yacht Club but it is 4 hours away from where my wife's relatives live.

Looks as if the P.G.Y.C. is the best choice ??????????????
hatteras53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:59   #18

Boat: Cheoy Lee Luders 36

Quote:
We certainly are decent people who just want to find a place for our vessel.

The other place that we checked out was the Maya Maya Yacht Club.

Several fellow boaters have suggested Puerto Galera Yacht Club but it is 4 hours away from where my wife's relatives live.

Looks as if the P.G.Y.C. is the best choice ??????????????
Subic Yacht Club looks quite nice and depending on which direction the relatives live might be a little closer....worth checking out anyways, quick ride on the new-ish expressway...
RokNRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:04   #19

Thanks for the information on Subic Bay Yacht Club.

Most of the relatives live in Cavite, about 1 hour west of Manila.

From there the Maya Maya Yacht Club is 1 hour but it is only a place with a few old boats in it and almost no support staff of any kind.

Looks as if Subic would be about 4 to 5 hours drive.

That's why we visited the Manila Yacht Club which is only 1 hour away BUT the place was so very dirty, the guards beyond rude, and when we looked at all the forms online, the regulations, etc. is was really a turn off............wish someone could tell us more about the M.Y.C. Maybe they are just mostly snobs as some have said. All we want is a place to moor our boat and not into drama or IMAGE. Guess we could fit in at the club possibly ???????????

The only other choice is the Puerto Galera Yacht Club which is also 4 to 5 hours drive. Several boaters speak very highly of this place.

All we want is a simple place to keep our vessel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2017, 02:19   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
My wife and I are seriously considering bringing our 44' Nauticat Motorsailor from the Chesapeake Bay to Manila. However, there seem to be so many issues. First, we can't obtain insurance for the trip.
I can't speak to what it's like in the Philippines (TabbyCat won't be there for another 2-3 years), but I can answer the insurance part of your question. If you have 3 years experience with your current boat (or a similar sized one) and have a US mailing address, I'm pretty sure you could be covered for the trip in the Markel Jackline program. Have you contacted IMIS yet?
Old 05-07-2017, 02:24   #21

Dear Michael and Merle:

I got back in the Philippines 7 years ago and started with a 27 footer and now new to me 36 footer.

I stay in the Punta Fuego Yacht Club in Nasugbu, Batangas about 60 nautical miles from Manila Yacht Club. The people here are nice and very accommodating vs. MYC. Great bar in the Yacht club and great Clubhouse...

I too can't afford the insurance so never had one I only pay $120/month average and they dry store my boat on my trailer... I have been to a lot of places but nothing beats anchoring your boat in one of Nasugbu, Batangas pristine 18 coves or an hour trip to Puerto Gallera ...and have a barbeque and beer with the family... Cheers!

PS ...suggest you just buy a boat here to minimize your trouble
joattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:21   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Joattack.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:09   #23

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Since we have no intention of visiting Mindanao crime is not a worry.
Uh, I think you got this one the wrong way around...

Mindanao is a big Island. In fact, it's larger than a majority of the world's countries. It is also for the most part a quiet and laid-back place. There are no big cities, and not much crime.
Except for the Muslim areas to the west, Mindanao is as safe as anywhere, in my opinion.

Manila, however, is a dump. Seriously. It's dirty, messy, noisy, and yes it is crime-ridden.

I have been to both places repeatedly. I try to avoid Manila as far as possible.

On a more personal note, I'd also suggest that you might wish to avoid living so near to the wife's relatives....
Other expats in country will tend to counsel that you'll wish to be "at least 2 islands away" from the Filipino in-laws.

Actually, the fact that Manila Bay is a stinking sewer is what I'd consider a great excuse to move a bit away.

4 or 5 hours' drive would be just about the perfect distance from the in-laws.

Oh and don't forget, it's an island nation. Getting around often means using a ferry.

About insurance, there are two types (worldwide): Compehensive, and 3rd party. What marinas require (worldwide) is 3rd party insurance. That's what you should get quotes for. It's usually fairly cheap. It covers damage you might do to the marina etc.

By the way, I'm doing the same as you... Bringing my boat. I'll probably keep it in Cebu where I live. I've been around talking to some marinas in the area, and it seems to be fairly easy. Just bring the boat and pay up.

Good luck, and welcome to the Philippines :-)
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 15:05   #24

MANY thanks to JOATTACK and ZVEN for all the helpful comments.

Every one agrees now that Manila and the Manila Yacht Club is not for us.

I have found out that the only insurance I could possibly buy is the 3rd party type.

The yacht clubs mentioned about 60-80 miles from Manila are possible.

Also, I agree some distance from relatives is a good idea.

Too much family is not good either when it never seems to end.

We will keep thinking about all the helpful advise.

Kind regards,

Michael and Merly
Old 15-07-2017, 02:25   #25

PHL Pros and Cons

Quote:
Hello John and Michelle,

Thanks again for a honest response.

I will look into the Puerto Galera y.c. further.

Since they only offer mooring balls maybe insurance is not an issue ?

We are okay with no insurance on the boat.

After all life is full of risks anyway.

Paying 5000 a year insurance on a 1981 Nauticat seems too high for us.

One time when I was in Manila we visited the Mia Mia y.c. about 90 kilometers from the metro area but they too asked about insurance.

Maybe all they are looking for is insurance to cover them ?
We have lived in PHL for 15 years, on our boat for the last three. Pros are lots of beautiful places to visit, friendly and mostly honest folks, and fair prices. Avoid the expensive marinas and use PHL produced items when possible to avoid luxury taxes and high chandlery costs. Bring lots of spare parts.

We have been from Subic to Mindanao and many places in between.
Can recommend the Semirara islands, S.Leyte, parts of Busuanga and the Calamian Islands for pristine beauty and not another yacht in sight. Marine life off Pandan Island (W.coast of Mindoro) is magnificent, with super easy access. Coron is gorgeous but a bit over touristed in places. Same w. Siargao, but still worth a visit.

Cons are no facilities like one might expect in the US and dangerous parts of the country, well documented on other threads. Figure on carrying lots of jerry cans if you want water to drink or bathe in. Bring disinfectant. Also, the lack of facilities will probably mean spending more time than you would like in the dirty, shallow, harbors of numerous port towns instead of exploring those pristine places you'd prefer.

PM us for more, if you like.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 01:57   #26

Hi Guys,

I have been living here in Subic Bay Philippines for the past 35 years and been involved with boating (from boat building here for 15 years-Holiday Boats)to the past 5 years as IIMS /Lloyd's cert surveyor, and quite happy to provide my input as required, Recently I have been corresponding with a fellow cruiser looking to do the same "from UK" and can send you a copy of all these emails which will give you current and informative local knowledge should you require,

There is a local (Manila) based Australian company that provides "regular priced" marine insurance for local yachts etc,actually one friend had cause to claim last year for total lose and was paid out with in 30 days!, my own yacht was insured through a Hong Kong broker (Cost $800 for $80'000 coverage) certain conditions such as typhoon anchorages etc apply-really common sense!)

Email me @ shoremarinesurveyors@gmail.com and will forward previous emails and or answer direct questions happily

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 05:47   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by joattack View Post
Dear Michael and Merle:

I got back in the Philippines 7 years ago and started with a 27 footer and now new to me 36 footer.

I stay in the Punta Fuego Yacht Club in Nasugbu, Batangas about 60 nautical miles from Manila Yacht Club. The people here are nice and very accommodating vs. MYC. Great bar in the Yacht club and great Clubhouse...

I too can't afford the insurance so never had one I only pay $120/month average and they dry store my boat on my trailer... I have been to a lot of places but nothing beats anchoring your boat in one of Nasugbu, Batangas pristine 18 coves or an hour trip to Puerto Gallera ...and have a barbeque and beer with the family... Cheers!

PS ...suggest you just buy a boat here to minimize your trouble
Got any info on berthing costs? Guess they must have a website I could check. Interesting to hear of your experience.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 22:04   #28

Hello;

I am a US expat in Mindanao, Zamboanga Del Norte. Just beginning Island cruising here. Where are you?

Any interesting points about sailing out of Manila after my newly arrived S/V shipment clears customs?

Lem
MatthLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 17:50   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Lem,
You are quite a rarity. The closest I have sailed to your area was Negros Island and your area at times was in view in the distance. I mainly sailed around Palawan, or made crossings from Puerto Princesa to Siaton (Bonbonon). Captain James from Bonbonon is likely available to help you sail from Manila. He helped me on many crossing and sailing around Palawan. I also took several trips from Negros to Bohol. Long term, you might want to consider making the sail to Palau.

Coming out of Manila you likely would want to consider a stop in Puerto Galera and then another stop in Coron. Be aware there is a reef in front of the dock in Coron so you have to hug the shore and approach that dock from the East. A huge percentage of us have hit that reef. Your next stop would likely be Puerto Princesa. Pick up Romel Favila in Puerto Princesa and take him to his home Island Cagayancillo for a memorable trip to an Island few sailors in the Philippines get to visit. Contact me for his information.
Regards Phil
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 19:45   #30

PBmaise;

Thank you. I will explore here as long as the good Lord permits. I hope to visit the Bonbonon social scene ASAP. I hope that Puerto Galera, or any of the few other clubs do not turn out to be the major snobs that Manila Yacht club is.

Respectfully
MatthLE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boating, Philippines, philippines