Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 23:39   #1

Thumbs up Boating in Hong Kong

Hi

are there any others on this forum. Looking for a little advice.

I am new to boating here, though not new to boating and I am looking for a small ( 20-25 ft) cuddy or cabin. Everywhere i look they are over priced and I am not sure i am lookign at the 'expat' tax prices or if this is just the market. I also looked, like another member, at shipping from the US a little bay liner, sea ray or Glastron as they are much cheaper there and even with 4500 shipping I still save. I worry as I cant see it though. I don't want to spend more than about 100-200,000 hk and would love to share as i wont be able to use it as much as I want.
Mooring is an issue but not impossible and i wonder if anyone has found good, reasonably priced moorings out there that i am unaware of. ( any advice on this is great)
Also if they have found a good boat yard for maintenance as well.
I am just a teacher here with a little spare cash, so I don't want and can't justify / afford paying the rates to join a Yacht club so I am kinda stuck on my own with this!

Any help is great,

cheers

Marc
Marchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:58   #2

Because the original new boatand have quite a high delivery fee to hong kong
And i think there is a hugh room for bargain. And also there are not too much sailboatcavailable to sale in hk.

Mooring. Heard around 5 to 7k a month for 49ft.
Gpolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:24   #3

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Re: Boating in Hong Kong

Hi Marc,

I'd try looking at the notice boards in the clubs. I'm a member at Hebe Haven Yacht Club and there are a few powerboats for sale here, though the one that meets your criteria is about HK $300K. From my observation, I'd avoid a petrol engine / stern-drive configuration as they seem to eat money. I've seen more of those removed than I would have thought possible. But, to be honest, I'm a sailor and don't know squat about motor boats...

There are also, from time to time, part ownerships posted in the clubs which might suit your needs. You could probably post up something yourself and see who contacts you - there are a lot of people who are only in HK for a couple of years so there is good turnover. For example, my previous sailboat sold to a consortium of 3 owners and has since been sold on twice in 5 years.

I'd also recommend the Sai Kung area. The water is cleaner, the beaches are great and there's a good boating scene here. Moorings are tight, but if you get in with a group of people that's not an issue.

Cheers, Cameron

PS - To expand on GPolar: I pay about $1200. month for a swing mooring on our 40' catamaran - that is going up by 35%!! We pay about $9000 for dock space for our 48' power cruiser. At our club the dry storage for smaller boats is about $2000 month. All of mine are club facilities - if you go 'private' you'll pay about 50% more.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:41   #4

hi both

thanks for the information. I found moorings up in tai po and middle island from 2k to 140 dollars (govt) but would prefer sai kung area.
how can I post up or look at the notice boars in hebe? was around there on sunday looking but didnt go in as thought it was members.
300 is a little out of my range and especially the wifes! I sail too but for ease and time powerboating seems more suited to us both. shame as I saw a seamaster 28 for 115k but needed a little work.
any ideas on how to post up on the yacht clubs noticeboards? I am posting in ad post and asiaxpat etc but a yacht club member I know is in it for the love of boating.

I agree about stern drives though my engine would be only 150 -200hp so gas would run at 10-18 gallons an hour. still pricey but ok if i dont head to the phils. if something goes wrong with it it is costly tho. I prefer an outboard if I can. thats the problem shippibg from the US. they all seem to be stern drives.

thanks for the help both anything else you can think of please let me know.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:23   #5

Hi Cam. I am learning asia 101 103 in hebe this saturday. 1200for swing mooring. How can i apply.
I am also thinking of 50cat. Different u think is possible to live on board for forty foot in swing mooring !
Old 06-06-2013, 08:23   #6

I mean 40 not 50
Old 06-06-2013, 09:11   #7

Hi GPolar,

There aren't any moorings available at all in Hebe Haven. I believe the waiting list is about 2-3 years!! This part of Hong Kong really needs a new marina or two....

Cheers
Old 06-06-2013, 20:02   #8

Hi Marc,

I'd get the yacht club member you know to post your ad for you.

The clubs are private but you can usually walk in on the pretext of having a look around - you just won't be able to purchase food or beverages. This weekend is Hebe's 50th anniversary so they'll be very restrictive regarding access but usually it's no problem.

Cheers
Old 09-06-2013, 23:12   #9

Thanks

I will try that. I have exam week coming up. So get half days. Will take a walk over there and see what happens as well.
I know it's summer but I thought there would be more choice. Still I can keep trying!

If you hear of anything please let me know if you get chance

Cheers!
Old 28-06-2013, 02:41   #10

Hi all

does any one know any of the boat yards or private mooring sites i might try.
or where to post to ask about them?
Thinking about going and getting it imported from the USA.
Not heard back from Hebe or ABC about popping in to look at their notice boards. ( my friend is off sailing for 2 months!

Cheers

M

Tags
boating