Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-02-2013, 22:52   #16

Re: Boat Purchase in Phuket and return to Aust

Nice work!! How did you find her, on YachtWorld? Do they have a large fleet of boats for sale?

Yaringa might be where we could bring back whatever we get - the only place 'nearby' that allow liveaboards legally. It doesn't look too expensive.

Cheers

Old 11-02-2013, 23:15   #17

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Yachthub I think it was, But it was on quite a few different sites, It was a private seller,

But there are a multitude of sites with Yachts for sale,

There was one in San Diago, But I thought it was too far for me, as I cant sail for ****,
And shipping it was $124,000-00 all up to OZ,

I got square eyes from looking, Make sure the cockpit can be enclosed, it gets bloody cold down here,
The Yaringa web site has all the pricing details,

Cheers,
Brian,

Old 11-02-2013, 23:25   #18

Yes, I've found a number of them as we are now looking in the Med an you are right I DO have square eyes

That's a great idea about the enclosed cockpit otherwise might look up north further depending on what happens.

I was talking to people at the boat show about how impossible it is on Port Phillip to liveaboard and work.
Old 11-02-2013, 23:30   #19

Live aboards are illegal any where in Victoria, Just dont mention it to any body if you do,
Old 11-02-2013, 23:32   #20

Might have to retire to Opua in NZ - they know how to welcome yachties
Old 12-02-2013, 00:05   #21

Its quite strange why they are so against live aboards here, We dont pollute, we have a proper toilet on board with tanks that get pumped out at the Marina,

unlike what fishing boats do, every thing over the side,
Old 12-02-2013, 00:09   #22

I guess that's what happens when we indulge in a so called 'elitist' sport.........

We wouldn't get it past the greenies now
Old 12-02-2013, 16:53   #23

Hey Mr B - tell us about your trip, getting over there, picking it up and the sail back or have you written this up elsewhere?
Old 12-02-2013, 19:23   #24

I have only wrote up the bit when I got washed up on the beach where I was anchored, asleep from exhaustion, The anchors dragged, It went from dead calm to on the beach and rocks in 10 minutes, wrecking my boat,

It was just a statement of what had happened, I thought a few people might be interested,

But I got hammered about my anchoring, and doing every thing so wrong, so I kept the rest of the trip to myself,

It was a bloody good trip tho, even tho a lot of things went wrong and broke down on the way, Hahahahaha

You really have to be versatile and mechanically minded to do a trip like that, I cant sail for ****, I have never sailed a boat like this one,
It was my first big sailing vessel, I have always been a motor boat man,

I had only owned it since Late September, It had stuff on it that I had never seen before, Let alone operate it, and then cross Oceans in it, But it all worked,

I had a day and a half to learn every thing on the boat, Then the PO left me to it,

I sailed it around Fiji for 6 weeks, learning how to operate it, with the provisio that if I was not confident in my own ability, I would hire some one to sail it back for me,

I dont have an EGO when My Neck is on the line, It all comes down to reality, Can I do it, Or not,
I believe I can, The rest is history,

The only time I used the anchor was in Lautoka for Customs on the way out, The anchor didnt drag as it was caught on this bloody great old cable, took me about 5 miles before I could get the anchor up far enough to see the cable and kick it off,
Manual lift, it bloody near killed me, It was sssooooooo heavy, So I had no knowledge on the anchors on my boat, whether they would work or not, The danforth I have used previously, but not on a boat this size, I thought it was too small, But it was the one that the boat builders supplied with the boat, They must know, The Bruce was just a peice of ****, But I didnt know that at the time,

PO didnt show me how to put up the main sail, WOW, it had ropes everywhere, But I finally figured it all out, and got it up, Then I asked people onshore and they told me how all the different ropes should be connected, Reef points, Etc,

Then I sailed out of Fiji in the dark, Because the customs had held me up, I left Lautoka at 6-00 PM,

Very scary coming through the reefs at night. My hair was standing on end, It was pitch black and I couldnt see any thing, Hanging off the side with a spotlight,

Talk about putting your life in the hands of an electronic gizmo, I knew nothing about, But I knew the depth sounder was dead accurate, So running aground was a very small chance, and going slow, I wouldnt get damaged if I did,

I will write it up one day, The whole trip, It was my greatest achievement, and I have done some weird **** in my time,

Crash, Just when you think your safe, Is the thread on the wreck of my lovely boat, 4-00 AM and pitch black,

It is the safest boat I have ever driven or sailed,
I just got caught out, In circumstances, the Key board wizards could not even dream about,

It has a lot of things I will change for my next sailing adventure,
But you dont know these things are inadequate till you find your self sinking and need to use them,

Anchors, Bilge pumps, Thru hulls, Electrics up high to avoid getting flooded, Down low, they short out and you dont have power,

I rang the VMR at 8-00 AM sitting on the beach with all my gear I had rescued, as I didnt know how to get off the Island, There was no one there, and no transportation,

The VMR picked us up about 11 or 12 AM,
WOW, the waves coming out of there were incredible, I have a video of them, But it just doesnt show how high the waves really are,

I have rambled on enough, It was a great trip,

Cheers,
Brian,
Old 13-02-2013, 00:17   #25

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

For a minute there I thought I was reading about Gulliver's travels.
You did take your medication today didn't you? :-)
Old 13-02-2013, 02:48   #26

What a great yarn Brian and an adventure you won't forget. I'd like to hear the whole story one day

Cheers Chris

Tags
purchase

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: