Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2007, 17:19   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Best time to sail to Hawaii from California

On some of my previous threads, I mentioned that Mexico is out this year due to a major tendon tear in my right arm. I live in Hawaii and my boat is in Northern California. I am thinking of sailing it to the Big Island next year. I read that hurricane season for that region starts June 1st and ends around November. Yet I see that the Transpac and Worst Marine cup starts during that season. Am I missing something here? I believe Cornell's "Cruising routes" mentions April as a good date.
I would like to here from people who have done the trip or people that have any other input on the subject...Aloha
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 21:45   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Marty,
Transpac picked the time of predominant good weather. I'd say it would be a great time to sail this direction. Just watch for severe weather forming down in Mexico and don't get caught during one of those forming low pressure systems.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 22:44   #3

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Cornell's book says, best time May to September, 10 to 30 deg. N and coast to 140 W for tropical storms. Storms rarely get as far west as Hawaii, but watch for them crossing your track on the way to Hawaii.

The year I went a hurricane started tracking for Hawaii, the weather service gave Hawaii a hurricane advisory. We hove to for a day to not take any chances. If I remember right it was about 600 miles south of us, we wanted it west of us. The storm was downgraded and went south of Hawaii.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 22:34   #4

Ocean Passages for the World

The admiralty text does not prefer one season over another: San Francisco to Honolulu. This tails with Dana's account that all seasons are equally easy to sail from northern California to Hawaii, and none of them particularly suited to sailing the other way around. I'd choose early summer for sailing comfort, with an eye on the weather.

Amgine

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california