Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2012, 15:49   #1

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Best route and stops thru Fiji?

Hi, we are now in Vavau, Tonga, and in a few days or a week we will be heading west to Fiji. Due to the upcoming cyclone season, we don't have too much time to waste before getting out of the danger area, so we need to use our time wisely, which means only about 3 weeks or so in Fiji.

We see roughly 3 choices and would appreciate any feedback from yachties who have been through Fiji in the last few years.

1. Northern route. Enter at Savusavu, then down through Bligh Waters, do the Yasawa Group, Musket Cove, clear out of Lautoka.

2. Mixed route. Enter at Savusavu, down to Kora, Suva, Kandavu, Musket Cove, Yasawas. Too much to see in 3 weeks?

3. Southern route. Enter at Suva, down to Kandavu for the diving, Musket Cove, Yasawas.

Thanks for any comments.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 20:05   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Best route and stops thru Fiji?

G'Day Jimbo,

Three weeks is an awfully short time to spend in this fascinating archipelago, but I understand what is driving you... btdt!

Our two favorite areas in Fiji are Viani Bay (NE Vanua Levu) and Kandavu Island. Since these places are sorta diametrically opposed in location, doing both in a short time is hard. Further, we never really enjoyed staying in Suva, and from what I hear it's even less desirable than in the times we were there. Lastly, we found the Yasawas to be over run with tourists, crowded anchorages (relatively) and nothing special unless you feel the need to do Musket Cove (not our cuppa).

But, perhaps you could do this: Clear in at Savu Savu, pop back to Viani bay, dive the walls in the Taveuni channel, sail directly to the north end of Kandavu and Solotavui bay for some great village life and possibly some diving on the eastern reefs, then go direct to Lautoka for outward clearance.

This skips over a lot of great stuff, but whatcha gonna do? So far there are no signs of early cyclonic activity, but time's awasting!

Be aware that our info is dated... has been a while since we were there.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 14-10-2012, 20:44   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Man you don't give yourself much time !

Clearing at Savsavu is the easiest in Fiji.
Given the time available to you I would go Savusavu, then ether throough Bligh water to the Yasawas, or take the inside the reef trip around the north of Viti Levu. You can leave that track and head almost directly across the south of Bligh Water to Sawa-i-Lau.
I'm going to Sawa-i-Lau tomorrow from the Blue Lagoon. The anchorages aren't crowded. It's been a pretty quiet season this year.
Then work your way down the Yasawas, go to Musket Cove if you must, but there's nothing there except three resorts and a little bar on the point where you can barbecue your own steak..soem people think that's wonderful, I'm not one of them.
Then up to Lautoka to clear out.
I'm waiting for crew to arrive on the 24th and leaving for New Zealand as soon as after that.
You want to be out of here by mid November usually although the weather gurus are saying that this coming seson probably won't see too much cyclonic activity - El Nino is on hold.
Good luck, fair winds.
Alan
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 23:50   #4

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Thanks very much for your comments, Jim and Alan, about Fiji.

We are still here in Vavau enjoying ourselves far too much. Which of course means that we will have to reduce our time in Fiji or just stay a little longer while the cyclones get their puff going...

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 01:02   #5

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Thanks very much for your comments, Jim and Alan, about Fiji.

We are still here in Vavau enjoying ourselves far too much. Which of course means that we will have to reduce our time in Fiji or just stay a little longer while the cyclones get their puff going...
Fiji, especially Savu Savu is a wonderful contrast to Vava'u...'lot cheaper too! Great food, excellent fast wifi,(Vodaphone) cheap shopping!

From Savu Savu we sailed down to Viti Levu ( NE corner) had a wondeful sevu sevu experience in Vere Vere village. sailed and motored inside the reef stopping off at various quiet anchoages then on down to Lautoka.

Hauled out at Vuda Point Marina & antifouled then had a week relaxing in Musket Cove by the resort pool then back to Lautoka to check out.

If you have 3 weeks that's how I would go!
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fiji, route