Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2011, 05:03   #1

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Best Boating Community in Malaysia ?

My wife and I have been kicking around a plan "B".. move to Malaysia for our Ks High School years. Three reasons for me, 1- I want to get more international experience, growing up in suburbs on US is nice but not very realistic for the world they will face; 2- I want to be somewhere warm all year around; 3-I want to be somewhere where I can afford a place on land within eye sight of my 40-50' Catamaran... living aboard is an option too... this way I figure we can go cruising during the time the Ks have school breaks..

Wife is warm to idea becasue it is in the Pacific closer to her homeland, Japan and a lot of Japanese live and visit Malaysia...

So, was wondering if there is a great boating community / yacht club in Malaysia within driving distance of either KL or JB as we will also need a top notch International school for the Ks...

Open to other location ideas as well, but MYN has a great program for folks who want to bring a little cash and live there "Malaysis My Second Home" program...

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 05:23   #2

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: Best Boating Community in Malaysia?

Yes, there is a great boating community a short drive from JB...It is called Singapore. Forget about Malaysia for most everything...spent a year there traveling all over Asia. Puteri Harbour Marina was a good safe place to keep the boat. Were you honestly thinking of your kids attending school in Malaysia? People who have the money send their kids to Singapore.

Are you getting the message?

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe
Currently Cohin, India
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 06:09   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

JB is a mud suck-hole that is fine for us cheapy cruisers for a month while we explore Singapore.

I went to Dan's (Forum Mod here) yacht club on Singapore and its all very nice.
However the land prices are very high and its apartment living.

Langkawi is a nice place where there is a good, close cruising ground with a fair size town, but I doubt good schools.

They are the only 2 areas I know. KL is miles from the coast.

If education is important one would wonder that the USA would far outstrip Asia. Americans do have a habit of belittling their own country... you read too much of your own media! If I wanted a cheap place to live close to a boat and educate kids well I would be moving to the USA!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 15:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
JB is a mud suck-hole that is fine for us cheapy cruisers for a month while we explore Singapore.

If education is important one would wonder that the USA would far outstrip Asia. Americans do have a habit of belittling their own country... you read too much of your own media! If I wanted a cheap place to live close to a boat and educate kids well I would be moving to the USA!
Thanks Mark, ya, I was afraid JB might be that way... I have been to KL a couple of times and to parts northeast ... we have a plant there, but I have not been to the coastal areas.... As for education in the USA, but doesn't give the Ks much international exposure and these Ks are going to have to make it in an even more global economic market than I had to deal with ...

I don't think we can afford a decent lifestyle in Singapore... was kinda hoping there might be an oasis Marina somewhere there in Malaysa... we'll see... considering other options as well...

cheers
Old 28-02-2011, 15:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Were you honestly thinking of your kids attending school in Malaysia? People who have the money send their kids to Singapore.
Thanks Bill, Was thinking of private schools for expats.... I don't think Singapore is for us...

cheers
Old 03-03-2011, 21:12   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 40, "Dove", CT 35 "Flying Cloud"
Re: Best Boating Community in Malaysia ?

Have heard recently from someone who kept a boat in Port Dickson, a fairly easy commute to KL. Sailing the Straits of Melacca can be a bit like playing the video game 'frogger' trying to dodge traffic till the roundabout by S'pore. Phuket Thailand has good Int'l schools, world class restaurants, amazing sailing venues, a supporting expat community, etc. and affordable housing. Just a thought. I lived there for 9 years raising two sons before returning. Wonderful years. Kids are grown, just, and I'm in a major refit to my dear old boat with objective being to sail her back to Thailand and liveaboard until ? Cheers

"All you need is ignorance and confidence and success is sure." Mark Twain
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 00:43   #7

Boat: Swan 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Forget about Malaysia for most everything...
Really?

My experience is completely different. Cheap marinas everywhere, great Island groups to visit, great people, warm all year round but no typhoons, great cultural mix, safe country. I love the place

Or were you just talking about that drain down the west coast of the peninsula? aka Malacca Straits?

I say go for it Capcook - if it's international exposure you want, Malaysia is it: Malays, Thais, Indians, Chinese, Europeans, Vietnamese - it's a great big melting pot.

Finding an international school won't be a problem in SE Asia - finding one you can afford - maybe.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:46   #8
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In Malaysia, I have heard the Garden International Schools are very good for expats - A few teachers have passed through Kuwait who have worked there.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:58   #9

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Penang perhaps?

Close to Langkawi and Thailand and more than a few international schools and from what I hear quite an expat community.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:56   #10

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Indonesia is a boater's paradise with good schools everywhere and with the internet there is no reason you cannot help your children learn at home as well as at school. Our president went to school there and then on to Harvard Law School.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boating, Malaysia, malaysia