Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 13:15   #121

Boat: c&c landfall 43
highseas, santa barbara is awesome. make sure you hit the farmers market on state street, it was really something to see. It sets up mid afternoon, not sure what day of the week. Further on are coffee shops, boutique shops and a high street style set up. Nice way to spend an afternoon - they have musicians on the blocks too.

The Seafood restaurant above the marina is good - nice bar with a view and good atmosphere. (bit pricey for our crew)
Later we went up State to a karaoke bar James Joyce (NOT our style - but good cheap entertainment)

The Wharf was touristy - one in every town - good for one beer.

Hope this helps
Keep in touch
jeff (limmer)
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 13:19   #122
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
SB farmer's market

Quote:
Originally Posted by limmer View Post
highseas, santa barbara is awesome. make sure you hit the farmers market on state street, it was really something to see. It sets up mid afternoon, not sure what day of the week.
Tuesdays.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:35   #123

Location: aboard our boat and summer in beautiful Kye Bay Comox BC Canada
Boat: 78 Cooper Ketch 40 feet
Send a message via Skype™ to luepetri
Hello all! We have motor sailed from Comox, BC (Vancouver Island) Canada and are sitting in Santa Cruz waiting for a new motor to be installed!
Check out our blog at Whiteshellii.blogspot.com for details and pictures.

It was quite an experience for a first timer--me. My Captain was awesome, the vessell great and our crew included two ginger cats who were incredible as well. An friend of ours joined us at the last minute and saved me! Don't think I would have been able to assist my husband as he did. I never got sea sick but ran out of energy rather quickly and "things" that I could do under the heavey seas.

Learned alot and have regrouped and am anxious to do the next leg of the journey.

God provided the route and we attempted to set the sails but did not have alot of wind.............suffice it to say that we have a few stories to tell. The Dolphin escourt was fantastic.
luepetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21   #124

Congratulations Lupetri! I'm sure you're recovering in port like all good sailors. From what I've read, you're past the worst section for all your cruising - future passages shouldn't be nearly as challenging.

One thing I took up for LD sailing is knitting. You can do it in almost any sea state, it doesn't cost much or require a lot of "stuff", and there's loads of things you can make for the boat/crew so the skipper won't mind you doing it. Keeps you busy even on those boring night watches. (finish a row, scan the horizon, check the instruments, start the next row...)

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 12:50   #125

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Nice to be pulling into Santa Barbara,after a mostly motoring trip down the coast.We either had too much wind or none at all.Mendocino to Drakes Bay was the toughest sailing we encountered,and south of Pt. Sur was a close second.Longest run was 4 days,3 nights.New transmission seems to be working out well,no other problems.Will be in S.B. for a week then out to the Channel Islands for a week or two,then onto San Diego.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja