do you have alot of prep?
luepetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 22:23   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by luepetri View Post
have you done this before? This is our first trip south
we are very much looking forward to it.
do you have alot of prep?
I had only 3 requirements beyond the basic safety gear: new standing rigging, new rudder, and sleep-at-night-off-the-surf line ground tackle.

So rigging and ground tackle are done. New rudder is in my garage. Oh then there are the nice to have's. Re did the cockpit cushions. New interior upholstery. New paint and running rigging on the mast. 49 panels on my new spinnaker stitched together complete with 15 foot dragon - just the finishing work to go.

Next up bimini with solar panels and finish off the installation of the radar / chartplotter, watermaker, SSB, insulate the fridge, stitch cones on the drogue line, rebuild the table, pack up the house and on and on.

And I used to laugh at the people who took years to get their boats ready.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 03:06   #33

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Thanks for reminding me about the meat and dairy thing,makes more sense to sail thru to Sanfran.I plan on leaving Victoria around the 5th of Aug.on a good morning ebb,hopefully weather window is open.Need to haul boat,change prop,install watermaker,check rig,and a few other small jobs.No house to pack as this is my house for last ten months.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 08:17   #34

Boat: c&c landfall 43
one good piece of advise I got last night from my buddy which is helping me with the trip to san fran and has a lot of off shore miles under his belt is to have spare head sail halyard run outside of the mast to a seperate block at the top. He said on on few of his trips he blew 2 halyrads which where not old and it ws a lot easier to run a new one that way in a rolling sea.
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 08:48   #35

Got the spare halyard like you say,boat came like that.I need to bite the bullet and pickup a Linear Drive to replace wheelpilot.Just set up printer to make charts,Looks like I'm going down from 15in. to 12 or 13 inch prop,pitch same at 8,...now to book a haulout.Plan on spending time at Santa Cruz and Catalina Is.Is there free (temporary)anchorage in Coronado (S.D.)still?Its been 30 years since I last did this trip.
Old 16-04-2009, 09:05   #36

Well, this sort of took off...

Nice active thread.

My biggest concern atm is water, since I have a smallish freshwater tank. I'm not sure I'll have enough money to get an RO watermaker before possible departure. Actually, the depth sounder went wonky two days ago, so maybe that will be my biggest concern if I can't figure it out. The budget can only take so much!

Cruising in home waters I know the places I can anchor out, and some of the cheaper spots to tie up for a night. But how are you all planning on finding places en route? I think it was Lupetri who said xe'd reserved dock space for Sept. & Oct - 5 months in advance! I'm not taking any bets on my arrival date, even within 3-4 weeks, since I may very well decide on a different destination if the weather isn't cooperating.

I've heard good things about San Diego's cruiser's network and services oriented to cruisers, including the prices for quality work. Is anyone putting off non-essential work until they get to SD (or somewhere else on their itinerary?)

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 09:20   #37

Location: aboard our boat and summer in beautiful Kye Bay Comox BC Canada
Boat: 78 Cooper Ketch 40 feet
Send a message via Skype™ to luepetri
No not me............we are very new and do not know where to anchor or stop once we are past Victoria Canada. Any help would be appreciated here as well.
luepetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 09:54   #38

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
...,makes more sense to sail thru to Sanfran......
Why do you think this? I've been down the cost a number of times and every trip we have pulled into at least one harbor. Either for fuel, or to lick our wounds after a gale or to wait out weather. It would be a real hassle to want to come into one of the harbors but know that you have to deal with customs. Most boats that leave from the PNW have not had a lot of recent offshore exposure, so it is likely that things will break on the way down or not work as well as you planned. I'd make the run to Port Angles and checkin before heading out. The trip down the coast is long enough that you really can't count on consistent weather, no matter what the forecast is when you leave Neah Bay.

FYI - we are planning on heading down the coast again leaving end of Aug '09.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 10:48   #39

Boat: Cooper 416
Just spoke to vonage usa.They said that for 24.95 a month you could have unlimted calls from anywhere with a high speed conection= wifi.All you have to do is have their smart phone and a us based number with them. so if you had your # in san diego or anywhere in the USA you can even keep your old # you can get or make calls.I call you in san deigo you pick up online in la paz. Or I call you in B.C. Canada.
Cool huh
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 10:51   #40

The reason for not clearing in at neah bay is I have been told that they will make you hand over any meats and such which are not allowed thru customs but thats what I ve been told not by my first hand experience, but if I do have to go in for what ever reason most likely bad then yes I will probably not care if I have to deal with customs and they make me get rid of some things. Also going from others experience is san diego gets pretty full with boats for the baha haha and finding a place for the boat can be tough, even dropping the hook. The last thing I want is to have to move from place to place because of the limit on nights you can stay in certain areas. mind you it wasn't hard to find a slip. they do have the cruisers anchorage but it is first come first serve and there is a limit on the number of boats. I sure hope it doesnt take me more than a month to get to san diego but if it does then so be it. I am on the fence with buying a water maker just because of the price but I am sure it would be really nice to have one. As for everything else the next major project is the ssb and haul out.
Old 16-04-2009, 11:19   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by limmer View Post
The reason for not clearing in at neah bay is I have been told that they will make you hand over any meats and such which are not allowed thru customs but thats what I ve been told not by my first hand experience, but if I do have to go in for what ever reason most likely bad then yes I will probably not care if I have to deal with customs and they make me get rid of some things. Also going from others experience is san diego gets pretty full with boats for the baha haha and finding a place for the boat can be tough, even dropping the hook......
I don't consider stopping to wait out weather as something very bad or unusual. Not doing it is poor seamanship. And adding all the clearing in hassles to a causal stop would really be a deal breaker for me. I don't actually think you can still clear in at Neah Bay, that is why I suggested Port Angeles. What's the rush to get to San Diego? As you say it will be full of HaHa boats. There's plenty of places to stop on the way from San Fran and down.

Paul L
Old 16-04-2009, 12:54   #42

no rush I just dont care to be in the states any longer than I have to and I guess I just want to get past the oregon coast as quick as possible. I dont actually know if you can clear in at neah bay, like I said all this info is from someone else not from any experience. But I have read that some people head in to port because of bad weather which of corse is the right thing to do, wouldn't want to have any bad seamanship here, and the coast gaurd closes the bars and they are there till it opens, not because the seas are bad but the breaking waves at the bars. Paul on your trips down do you stay close or head out a fare bit? it seems to be 50/50 on what I've read but I guess if there is no wind then that will be the deciding factor because I would probably need diesel.
Old 16-04-2009, 15:36   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by limmer View Post
... Paul on your trips down do you stay close or head out a fare bit? it seems to be 50/50 on what I've read but I guess if there is no wind then that will be the deciding factor because I would probably need diesel.
I do not buy into the 'go 100 miles offshore' approach'. If the weather is bad, it is usually worse out there. If the weather is light, you are 100 miles from a fuel dock. If the winds are nice, just head south. I've done the trip 3 times now. I prefer to go out the Straits at night and arrive at Neah Bay in the morning. Fuel up and check the weather. If the weather is favorable, then head out into the Pacific in the day light -- let's the crew get used to the open ocean in day light hours. Turn south and point at Cape Mendecino. After a day or so, if the weather is light and you are motoring, as it often is on the north end, then stay close in to make it an easy to stop at Newport or Crescent City. If the winds are in your favor, then keep heading for Cape M. This will take you fairly far offshore. Stay on top of the weather in southern OR and northern Cal, especially the capes. You can count on at least 1 afternoon and night of 35kts+ winds. I've rounded Cape M 60 miles out and in sight of the inshore buoy. I think close in is generally a better ride. I don't see the point in going 100 miles offshore for this trip. You won't be out of the way of shipping. If you read the Admiralty Sailing Directions for this route, it states to stay in as close as the Master is comfortable with.

Paul L
Old 16-04-2009, 16:22   #44

::nods:: The fastest average over this course of the boats I surveyed/logs I got to look at were the boats which stayed 20-40 nm off shore. This was far enough out that coming in close was a hassle, so they avoided it except for serious issues, but far enough out to get the benefit of larger weather patterns. Closer in boats tended to go in to ports *far* more often. Boats further out had more problems with weather - more rain, more squalls, and more calms (getting too far into the Pacific High.)

Oddly, in tracking the waves over the past year plus it seems the BA Ocean Passages for the World has this wrong. The wind and waves are occasionally higher along the coast due to weather patterns getting squeezed up against the coastal mountains.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 19:33   #45

This is all very good info.,which helps clear the fog somewhat.I may be singlehanding,then harbourhopping would be a wiser choice for myself.I think 20 to 40 miles out sounds about right.Port Angeles sounds a logical check in port.Just got my AIS actually working,printer makes nice charts also.Decided to repitch existing propeller.

Tags
baja