Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2005, 13:10   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Bellingham renovates New Zealand marina - Kerikeri Cruising Club
Washington-based Bellingham Marine recently completed an expansion and renovation of Doves Bay Marina in Kerikeri, New Zealand.
Bellingham designed and installed new Unifloat concrete floating berths, and moved and extended the existing Unifloat wave attenuator to create space for two new main walkways. The company says the marina is the first to benefit from Bellingham’s one-piece fingers in berth construction.
Included in the project were demolition, pile driving, and installation of new electrical and water supply services. Dove Bay now hosts 190 berths ranging from 39- to 65-feet, a 587-foot wave attenuator, a new boat ramp, navigation lights, a reclamation area and additional car parking space.

Kerikeri Cruising Club Marina
http://communities.co.nz/Kerikeri/Fe...TOKEN=59417454

Doves Bay, Kerikeri Inlet
Tel:+64 (9) 407 9434/027 271 4054
The marina manager is on site if the flag is flying from the flag pole next to the office.
Times differ with demand but can generally be relied upon to be in attendance 8am - 11am, seven days a week.
Contact the Manager, Bruce Douglas, or Assistant Manager, Gerry Sly on cell phone 025-271-4045.
Facilities include toilets, showers, water, electricity, fuel, laundry and café/bar.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 19:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hmmm, I wonder what they mean buy the concrete floating births and the "first to benifit" comment. We have had one piece floating concrete births for years here in NZ.
Still, I would love to see this "wave attenuator". IT sounds interesting. I wonder how that works.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 16:58   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
"Still, I would love to see this "wave attenuator". IT sounds interesting. I wonder how that works."

It's probably just a fancy name for a jetty. A bunch of rocks piled up in the inlet.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 18:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bellinham wave attenuaters:
http://www.bellingham-marine.com/attenuators.html

Old 05-06-2005, 20:45   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hmmm interesting, but we have had stuff like that here in NZ for 20yrs or more. Unless it is very different underneath.

Old 06-06-2005, 17:50   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Not sure I would like these facing an open sea!

These must be the economy slips, on the right---

(Quote)
"Wave Attenuation Limits: Floating attenuators are economically feasible for waves of about 3 – 4 feet in height with a period of less than four seconds."

They would be great here in the Puget Sound, the waves never get over 4 ft., or in a high traffic areas. So, I would assume they are for partually protected areas. But you would have to keep your dock lines and fenders up to snuff.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 23:08   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I’m sorry my inept post generated a discussion around docks & wave attenuators, when I'd actually intended to to stimulate a discussion of this interesting region in N.Z.

The Bay of Islands is on the East Coast of Northland, and encompasses Kerikeri, Waitangi, Paihia, Opua and Russell. There are around 144 islands in the Bay of Islands, together with some of New Zealand's most beautiful coastline. Of all New Zealand's cruising grounds, the Bay of Islands is probably the finest - endless sheltered bays, clear, clean water and a climate that is consistently warmer than anywhere else in the country.

Perhaps one of our Kiwi friends might tell us a little more about this intriguing local?

Hopefully,
Gord

Old 07-06-2005, 03:56   #8

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Bay of Islands

This area also has Waitangi and Russell. The treaty between the Maori and the Pakeha was signed in Waitangi 06 February 1840. Russell was an old trading post and settlement accross the bay from Paihia, which has a good pub. The inner part of the large bay has shallow areas and Drum ran aground there. The NZ under water spear fishing championship was held at Paihia in the early 80,s and I was boat man for one of the teams. Early days all the roads in the area were metal ( gravel ) and there were many one lane bridges. Also in the North is a beach called Opononi where a friendly dolphin ( Opo ) would play is the surf with the kids. My brother claims the best burgers in the world are made at a campground just inland about a mile from Paihia. My old friend and dancing partner Kiri owns a place on one of the islands. Some of the beaches are more than beautiful. The Maori have a couple of very large canoes in the area, and Terry Carlton has a ship with rescued tressure aboard. Terry died young, he was a well known diver. Further North is Taupo Bay and it is one of the two nicest beaches on the North Island not counting the Bay of Islands. The other is Opito Bay on the Coromandel.
What else would you like to know?
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:48   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Eeer, your friend Kiri, her last name ain't Tekanawa is it
Oh and it's Kelly Tarlton not Terry. There is now a very awesome aquarium called "Kelly Talrton's" in Auckland. There was a bit of dust raised not so long ago around Kelly's family. Seems the treasure has been stolen. A few suspects, but no proof.
The only draw back with the Bay of islands, is the crowd it draws in the summer, both on and off water. I guess some of you guy's in parts of the world would be used to boating like that, but to us Kiwi's who think three on a 90mile beach is a crowd, it ain't a fun place to be.
I would think, from a boating perspective, there would be four simply stunning places in NZ. The bay of Islands in the far north of the country, the Marlborough sounds (where I live) centre right, the Tasman bay's to the centre left and Fiordland in the deep South. OK I make this five. Stewart Island off shore from the very Southern point of NZ.
Fiordland has to be the most stunning piece of scenery anyone will ever see in the world. It's like most of those simply awe inspiring places though, like say Artic and Antartic. Mother nature sells the tickets, and you have to dig real deep to pay for them.

Old 07-06-2005, 21:24   #10

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Kiri

Dame Kiri and I were both teenagers in Blockhouse Bay Auckland. We danced together many times. She went on to become a fairly good singer while I talk about boats. I have been to the Carlton water thingy in Auckland. Actually had to do a minor rescue of Kelly and two ladies a bit off shore of the Bay of Islands. The inboard in their fizz boat was overheating so I was dumped aboard as the only one who might have a clue what to do. Used a ladies stocking as a fan belt. Have a personal note here from Kiri, maybe I can get big bucks for it someday and retire.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 07:13   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well ain't that interesting. Well in my former life, I was actually a Live sound engineer. I haven't mixed for Kiri, but have for many others, one up and coming star being Hayley Westenra. Maybe not your era of music, but one of the new young groups that were Emy nominees, Stereogram. Actually you would probably remember Hogsnort Rupert. They were my favorite to mix for.

Old 08-01-2008, 21:01   #12

Hello all. Introducing myself as Ron R - just joined today so I will keep my peace while I learn the score (whatever that might be).
Ron Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 22:39   #13

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
some of New Zealand's most beautiful coastline. Of all New Zealand's cruising grounds, the Bay of Islands is probably the finest - endless sheltered bays, clear, clean water and a climate that is consistently warmer than anywhere else in the country.
I have sailed for years in the Bay of Islands. They are pretty good but I would not say that they are better than the Marlborough Sounds. That comment above sounds like marketing. Sure it is not written by the Rocna guy
Old 08-01-2008, 22:57   #14

Ron R

Actually I am an Australian who has lived and sailed in the Pacific Islands and lately New Zealand. I agree that both the Sounds (Marlbrough Sounds) and the Bay of Islands are great cruising with the BOI warmer during winter and closer to the tropical islands during the cyclone season. Apart from that there isn't much in it.
Ron Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 00:25   #15

Boat: Trismus 37
The peak time for yachts gathering in the BoI will be just about over by now at its worst it is only 2 to 3 weeks, now, during the week you can still find a bay to your self. The BoI appart from its own attractions is a good jumping of place for the Cavalli islands, Whangaroa's absolutely awsome Harbour, Mangonui for the best fish and chips in the North, up to Houhora and points North and all the many interesting and "safe" (Wind dependant) anchorages in between. We have just returned from Gt Barrier Island which suffers from yacht overload over the same period. Still managed to get a couple of suppers worth of crays and scallops without leaving Fitzroy Harbour before returning to Whangaruru for a bit of R and R after the New year celebrations. Ruru had at least 5 yachts and maybe 10 launches there, perhaps 1 every mile or so, Crowded, NOT. Have often anchored below Kiri's place but she has never come and sung to us.
Doves Landing up until recently was full up and was more of a club operation, also not very practical for visiting for any length of time as its nearest town of reasonable size is KeriKeri which is some distance away so wheels are a must. Opua Russell and Matiatia are much more accessible with Opua having a good range of yachting facilities close to the Marina.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
New Zealand