Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2010, 18:53   #1

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Bay of Islands Hints?

Folks:

Off to NZ at the end of the month and will spend about 5 days chartering in the Bay of Islands.

Any hints?

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 20:11   #2

Boat: Nantucket Islander, 38
Kawau island where the Pardeys live is a cool little day stop, old colonial style house and some crazy animals, Russell is a quaint little almost new england like town, opua is where a lot of the pacific cruising boats end up -- enjoy

I miss NZ...lived there on and off while backpacking for a few years, I'm re-stepping my mast with a $2 kiwi coin underneath tomorrow
brianontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 20:47   #3

Boat: Woods Banshee 10m catamaran
Plenty of snug anchorages all through the Bay(s). If weather suits Whangaruru and Whangaroa are other great harbours (yep i'm English) within good day sailing distance.
If looking for night life, discos' etc your out of luck though Pahia has a few eateries also the Opua Cruising Club and Russell Boat Club are full of friendly folk.
Enjoy a laid back cruise....good fishing spots if you are into that kind of thing though I'm afraid I depend on the suicidal species!
I am sure the charter yacht will have the guides.
saltysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 00:06   #4

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
B Of Is is one of the best cruising grounds in the world....many shelterd bays...only 30 mins away should the weather change ...fishing is great ..... the charter guys give you charts with anchorages ...but go and explore the ones they don't tell you about.

I've just come south from having a month there...BTW Kawau is not in the B of Is, it's in the Hauraki Gulf...another great cruising ground...but not in my opinion a patch on B of Is...its historic...the site of white mans first settlements....the treaty of Waitangi was signed by the Maori and Pakeha (white man) here...you can visit where it happened...and yes Russell is quaint...don't pick up water here, its sometimes not good....Duke of Marlborough hotel on the waterfront is a great spot for lunch...or dinner
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 01:04   #5

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
You asked for a hint - stay longer than five days

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 02:42   #6

Boat: Catalina 320
Whangaroa harbour - just north of bay of islands

We cruised the bay of islands a few years ago just after Christmas.

On recommendation form some locals, we did a 3 day 'side trip' to Whangaroa - great fishing along the way, a lot of fun climbing the "Duke's Nose" once there and the definite highlight was stopping in for a beer at Kingfish lodge - twice in 2 days!

Kingfish Lodge - New Zealand's Premier Sport Fishing Resort

They were very accommodating and even gave us a free berth (they also have moorings) on New Year's eve as we accepted their invitation to spend new years' eve there (great party, good food and plenty of fun)

If you like seafood, or more specifically Mussels ask your charter company to point out where you can pick "green lipped mussels" straight form the rocks - one hint there is go for the medium sized ones - we picked both med and large ones (read HUGE) and the medium ones were definitely the more enjoyable to eat!

Enjoy it's a magic part of the world!
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 06:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
You asked for a hint - stay longer than five days

One day.....one day. But not this time, unfortunately.

Thanks all for the comments. We are planning to get over to Whangaroa and also to visit Waitangi. But it will depend on wind and tide.

Speaking of which, I'm told the tide range (a mystery to me, really; I sail on Lake Ontario) is no more than two metres. Are the noticeable tidal current associated with that?

What are the prevailing winds in early March?

Anybody have a good (simple) recipe for mussels?

To add some info, we're sailing out of Opua and the first day will be out-and-back (probably to Russell) with son and grand-daughter aboard for a daysail.

Then four days with just the Admiral and me.

Connemara
Old 15-02-2010, 15:26   #8

Boat: Alan Pape. Ebbtide 33'
cooking mussels *simply* ?

pop 'em in a billy with a little water.

Boil 'em

Pretty soon - they'll open,

take out & eat
(add butter & salt to complicate things)
Scare_Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 15:33   #9

Even better, steam them in a little wine or beer. Only cook them for as long as it takes them to open up. Then mix some garlic and herbs with that butter and you will not find a better meal.

If they're open before you cook them, throw them out.

If they're closed after you cook them, throw them out.

NZ Maritime Charts are free to download, and they have the tides and currents marked. Prevailing winds are W / SW so generally fairly sheltered but a lot of local variation around the headlands.

http://www.linz.govt.nz/hydro/charts/index.aspx
paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 08:11   #10

OK, we're back.

BoI was --- spectacular. Temps of 24, 25, 26, clear skies, winds 10 to 15kt, but less in the evening.

More later ... I'm still badly lagged and need some sleep. But since I can't crash quite yet, I thought I'd post a pic. Sunset over Dickes Bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0602.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	13897