Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2010, 13:31   #16

Trailering just doesn't have the same romantic allure... plus I don't have a truck with a hitch.
jbosborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 15:25   #17

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
If you're looking for romance ,go on a cruiseship.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 18:00   #18

Cruise ship does not sound romantic. I use the word "romantic" in the adventuring sense - not the male-female sort of romance.
Old 15-03-2010, 18:59   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbosborn View Post
How dangerous are tropical storms (TS) and tropical depressions (TD)?

G'Day Again, JB,

How dangerous are TD's and TS's?? Well, by definition, storm force winds, included in the TS category, range from 48 to 64 knots, above which they are classified as a hurricane in Baja waters. Ann and I survived a named TS (Gil) in late August 1983 whilst en route from SF to Oahu, sailing in our S&S 30. Did we survive? Yep. Did we wish we were elsewhere? Yep. So far, it sounds like the romantic challenge... but consider that we were more than a thousand miles off shore and could and did run with it. Had we been close to the Baja coast we would have been in deep do-do IF the winds had been onshore in direction. I think that I am safe in saying that no "sub 30 foot" yacht can make much headway to windward in coastal waters and winds of 50-60 knots, even when sailed by experts, let alone a recent graduate of Sailing 101,2,3 and even 4...n! Now upgrade those winds to even a mere Cat one hurricane, and I think that one can conclude that survival becomes a matter of where you get blown ashore. I can hardly believe that you have been advised to "not worry about hurricanes", but as usual, the range of advice found on the internet is extreme!

Actually, I note that you have not yet advised us of exactly what sort of boat you have, nor what its equipment level might be. If you would favor us with that info, perhaps some more specific advice might be forthcoming. I believe that most of us on the forum wish only the best for you, and that includes surviving to participate here in the future.

Baja California and the Sea of Cortez are indeed wonderful cruising grounds, ones that we have enjoyed immensely. But as in so many things, timing is everything, and your original schedule, or any one that includes the southbound passage during summer months is not a wise one.

Hang in there, mate... you have a lot of years left to follow this dream.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Church Point, NSW, Oz
Old 15-03-2010, 19:35   #20

Thanks, Jim.

It really looks like the best thing for me is to work this summer and then leave in late October. It will be tough financially - but I think I can swing it.

I have not purchased a boat yet. I plan to purchase it in about a month, at which point I will be far enough along in my courses to start practicing sailing on my own to supplement the advanced coursework.
Old 16-03-2010, 06:30   #21
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbosborn View Post
Thanks, Jim.

It really looks like the best thing for me is to work this summer and then leave in late October. It will be tough financially - but I think I can swing it.

I have not purchased a boat yet. I plan to purchase it in about a month, at which point I will be far enough along in my courses to start practicing sailing on my own to supplement the advanced coursework.
Thank you for listening! Just to be a wee bit safer make it after Oct. 2 years ago we here witnessed someone here with no experience leave southern Ca. in mid Oct. for Hawaii. Because of his lack of experience he lost his boat, and had to climb the wall of a freighter to survive.

I have single-handed a 30ftr. from S.F. to Cabo. It's not for someone without experience. I left the day before Thanksgiving, and arrived on X-mas eve. I sailed S.F Bay for 18 months, and a year of that single-handed. Going out in all weather including 50 knots. I prepped myself the best I could, but Mother Ocean was a whole other situation. Arm yourself with knowledge, and experience, and you will be safe......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 18:30   #22

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
I agree,timing IS everything.This years Bajahaha is proof of that.Go when the weather permits,NOT on a set date.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 19:09   #23

Boat: Sceptre 41
This years Ha Ha was fine for a good race crew but the timing issue was a bit much we had to sail on faster than I would have liked to.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja, cruise, summer, hurricane