Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-09-2010, 18:49   #16

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Anclar y comida

Anchor and groceries: Santa Cruz (market over the hill from the marina), Carpenteria, Monterey (at least eight blocks in!!), San Simion (little country store aka supermercado), Port San Luis has a great cafe, The Fat Cat Cafe, but no groceries, Santa Barbara a few blocks inland to provision for the Channel Islands (fisherman's market on Saturdays), don't know about LA, Newport Beach - there is a free anchorage there, and lots of interesting grocery stores on Balboa Island, Avalon Santa Catalina can't anchor but great groceries, and San Diego anchor and take the bus or trolly or anchor on the weekends at La Playa and walk up the hill two or three blocks.
Apparently anchoring is no longer allowed in Ensenada, but a couple of good supermercados, mini-supermercados (aka living rooms) at Turtle Bay, Abre Ajos, Asuncion, then nada until Cabo San Lucas where there is everything and you can anchor there but will want to leave after a few nights of Disco-from-hell, mornings of sports-fishing boats, and days of parasails and banana float tugs.
All big cities after that will have lots of grocery options - and anchoring...

Michael

Old 24-09-2010, 21:25   #17

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"
Quote:
Originally Posted by svcambria View Post
Apparently anchoring is no longer allowed in Ensenada, but a couple of good supermercados, mini-supermercados (aka living rooms) at Turtle Bay, Abre Ajos, Asuncion, then nada until Cabo San Lucas where there is everything and you can anchor there but will want to leave after a few nights of Disco-from-hell, mornings of sports-fishing boats, and days of parasails and banana float tugs.
All big cities after that will have lots of grocery options - and anchoring...

Michael
Just came back from Ensenada and saw number of boats anchored inside the port (in front of entry to Cruiseport Marina) I don't really know if it was legal...

The good part about Ensenada is Costco (our membership cards work) Home Depot and Walmart. More than 8 blocks away . Bus trip 8 pesos.

Old 26-09-2010, 13:29   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!!!
in san diego there is no place for you to specifically lanjd your dinghies at coronado---if you decide to place the dink on the beach near the moorings north of the bridge, please land your dink with respect to the folks who keep boats on the moorings-- these boats are moored as rent paying tenants. many of us even pay property taxes as we attempt to ready our boats for cruising. please do not obstruct our dinghies on the beach. please place yours on the southern most part of the beach near the rocks. there is no place to lock them, as the chain htere is for tenants only. there is patroling for abandoned boats by the mooring company.to whom we pay our rent.; please do not block us in or inhibit our access to these lil boats.
i noticed to day a couple was heading for their garden ketch aanchored off the golf course-- the dink was obstructing the dinghies of tenants--please make sure if you anchor at the golf course in coronado that you keep your boats to the south end by the rocks. we all thaankyou for your courtesy.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 11:39   #19

Boat: in between boats
anyone changed plans for mex

Just out of curiosity, I have been wondering if any cruisers have changed or delayed plans to cruise Mex due to the cartel wars and ploitical unrest in Mex.
Old 20-10-2010, 11:44   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
Just out of curiosity, I have been wondering if any cruisers have changed or delayed plans to cruise Mex due to the cartel wars and ploitical unrest in Mex.
from what i have seen, no. most of the cruising is not in the areas infected with this violence. record numbers of haha entries, as usual... does anyone else have anything to say on this?? i am still being asked about crew positions for my sail south--i plan on visiting much of mexico....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 12:10   #21

Boat: CT54
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
From what I understand this year is the largest entry yet for the HaHa so I would say that most cruisers feel Mexico is still a good cruising ground and worth any risks, real or perceived.
Old 20-10-2010, 12:38   #22

Boat: Passport 40 Rocinante
We sailed from Puget Sound to San Diego to sail in the 09 Haha, had many warnings from family and friends, did it anyway. Had a blast, never experienced threats or danger in the past year of cruising in Mexico, save for one knife attack to our beached dinghy. Have enjoyed learning the culture and language and the hospitality of the beautiful Mexican people.
Old 20-10-2010, 15:01   #23

Boat: CT54
The latest on the subject from Latitude 38
Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

Tags
baja, Mexico

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: