Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2011, 17:20   #61

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA
Re: Australian Customs - Deterrent to Visiting Oz ?

Quote:
Yes they would - i was referring to an australian citizen on an australian vessel that had not left/reentered Australia
What difference does the nationality of the vessel or skipper make? NZ Customs can and do question NZ registered vessels in NZ waters as well as foreign flagged vessels in NZ waters whether they've cleared in or not.

Is there any reason to believe that Australian registered vessels don't participate in any illegal activity in Australian waters?
Old 24-10-2011, 21:28   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

ACS has no lawful jurisdiction over an australian resident owned vessel in Australian waters that has not left/re-entered.

called me old fashioned, but I am big on obeying the law, and thats by govt agencies as well as the public.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 22:13   #63

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Perhaps, American flag and crew (2).

I agree with B that Cairns has a good reputation as an port of entry. We had a good entry there in 1995, but that was of course before 9-11 and the 96 hr rule and the war on terrorism and illegal immigration.
I doubt there would be to many issues with Mackay either as an entry point. They handled the WARC recently and always seems to have international vessels in port.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 00:51   #64

Boat: Compass 28

Can't comment on how the ACS treats its clients.

But I can vouch for TCP being a journal for whingers without parallel. Given up reading it.

lockie
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 01:30   #65

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
ACS has no lawful jurisdiction over an australian resident owned vessel in Australian waters that has not left/re-entered.

called me old fashioned, but I am big on obeying the law, and thats by govt agencies as well as the public.
Not even close. Customs guys can do stuff that the cops can't even dream about - chase, board, search, sieze. Warrrant ? Huh ? They don't need no warrant. Probable cause ? That's only on TV.

It isn't just Australia. Every country that inherited British law has the same system.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 02:01   #66
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Not even close. Customs guys can do stuff that the cops can't even dream about - chase, board, search, sieze. Warrrant ? Huh ? They don't need no warrant. Probable cause ? That's only on TV.

It isn't just Australia. Every country that inherited British law has the same system.

Thanks God, Turkey did not..Unless there is a clear reason for doing so and the authorities have got the written permit from the prosecutor in charge, noone can board yr boat fo whatever reason including clearing in and out. Most of the time they don't even come to see the boat..We believe what the skipper said is true unless it's proven otherwise and not the other way around, ie the skipper to prove that he's not lying..

Said this, I appreciate the reason why this is taken so seriously in Australia. Nevertheless, the teatment that Esterzinger has had is not acceptable by any standard. I am bit surprised because I've been to down under (not with a boat) and I was impessed with the people there; easy taking, nice and very helpful. The country is absolutely worth a visit. If anyone doesn't want to take the risk of such treatment (I wouldn't), take a plane and charter a boat if you want to sail there..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 02:31   #67

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)

Here is my funny Australian Customs story, on sailing into Wollongong harbour, two custom officers drive up jump out of the car, and demand to know where we are from, whilst we are busy trying to secure to the wharf. I casually reply Lake Tabourie, where is that they demand? Oh about a hundred miles down the coast I reply in my best aussie drawl. I then had to produce my NSW drivers licence to prove it. Oh dear, two red faced custom officers slink back into car and drive off without another word.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 03:38   #68
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

I dont want to get into an argument with you - but you are wrong. And dangerously so. If you think you are correct provide a reference to which part of the Act that provides for this power. Or ring ACS and ask them.

Try reading section 184A - it provides the power to board a ship, there is no POWER INHERITED FROM THE POMS. Its a statutory power. And I never said probable cause - I said Reasonable belief.

And you know the warrants that they don't need, well the act makes provision for them at Sects 198 - 202A inclusive.
Old 25-10-2011, 04:47   #69

Boat: Able 50

How about deleting that post ? All you can achieve is making yourself look very silly.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 05:17   #70
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I dont want to get into an argument with you - but you are wrong. And dangerously so. If you think you are correct provide a reference to which part of the Act that provides for this power. Or ring ACS and ask them.

Try reading section 184A - it provides the power to board a ship, there is no POWER INHERITED FROM THE POMS. Its a statutory power. And I never said probable cause - I said Reasonable belief.

And you know the warrants that they don't need, well the act makes provision for them at Sects 198 - 202A inclusive.

Factor, your post is poor form and not conducive to free discussion. Telling people that they are plain wrong and dangerously so, is not something I expect to read on what is usually a very friendly forum with very helpful advice. Posts like that last one turn people away from posting valuable information. There are always two sides to a healthy discussion and belittling someone is not behavior I would expect here.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 05:22   #71

No big hassles here in Broome
Karratha Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 05:32   #72
Marine Service Provider

Last word on this - Read the Act - the link is here

Customs Act

Make your own mind up
Old 25-10-2011, 05:35   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
I don't think so. Gov't systems have changed a lot since 911 under the direct pressure from the US gov't.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 05:39   #74
Marine Service Provider

How many times have you checked in and out of Australia Factor in your 33ft seawind and what were your experiences with Australian Customs?
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 05:43   #75

Quote:
Edit: DeepFrz beat me to it....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, customs