Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-08-2015, 05:37   #61
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Are there any deserted islands like in the movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Please reference the Guide page number.
OK...I'll give it up. WG Bahamas 2015 pg. 304. We spent 4 nights anchored in the Brigantines with several deserted islands and beaches for ourselves. Only one of the cays a mile or so away had a house on it, but no one there and no lights. Didn't even see a fishing boat the whole time we were there. The 5 or 6 cays were probably all owned by someone and it is in the Bahamas, so doesn't completely qualify the "red tape" per the original question – but it was quite special anyway.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:55   #62

Boat: contessa 32

Well of course ,a well equipped and thought out cruising boat is pretty close to an island getaway ,with the added bonus of mobility to locations that will give you access to many of those things that you will soon find lacking on your island " paradise".

………………………..luv you all…………..mike…………………………………..

Old 12-08-2015, 10:04   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
One of the uninhabited islands I would most like to visit is Clipperton Island (Ile de la Passion).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipperton_Island
Thanks! I have not heard of that island. Sounds like a great place to visit though anchoring looks a bit interesting.

Later,
Dan
Old 12-08-2015, 10:21   #64

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Before deciding to go cruising, I seriously considered buying an island, and studied a market for quite some time. There are thousands of uninhabited islands, some of them are for sale or rent. Lease may be not that expensive at all. I wonder why these links were not mentioned here: Private Islands, Islands for Sale, Islands for Rent, Privatinseln - Vladi Private Islands and Islands for Sale Worldwide - Private Islands Online. Really, the market does exist and you can find your dream island if you have funds.

With time, I realized that cruising is better, but I still may buy an island as a back up place just in case.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:38   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

I can let you have this clean, well treed (there's another couple of short coconut palms on the other side), deserted island for a very reasonable price. But you have to act fast as these beautiful islands are being snapped up by the rich and famous.

As an island owner you'll be in good company, Johnny Depp, Nicholas Cage, David Copperfield, not to mention the Aga Khan own islands nearby. The price is comparatively inexpensive as the former owner (he also owned the island nearest to this little gem) can no longer visit these beautiful islands as he is a guest of Uncle Sam for the next 99 years.

Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:33   #66

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
One of the uninhabited islands I would most like to visit is Clipperton Island (Ile de la Passion).

My Reasons: It is remote, has a very interesting history, is an atoll, and the lagoon is large and fresh water, not salt. That last point is what makes it really stand out to me. Every other lagoon I have seen in any atoll in the Pacific has a SALT water lagoon. This one is FRESH water. And that lagoon is separated by the narrow atoll land.

Here is a clip from Wikipedia, but there is a much longer article on wikipedia and it details the interesting aspects of this island. I encourage you to read the article to learn about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipperton_Island
Clipperton Island (French: Île de Clipperton or Île de la Passion, Spanish: Isla de la Pasión) is an uninhabited 9 km2 (3.5 sq mi) coral atoll in the eastern Pacific Ocean, 1,080 km (671 mi) south-west of Mexico, 2,424 km (1,506 mi) west of Nicaragua, 2,545 km (1,581 mi) west of Costa Rica and 2,260 km (1,404 mi) north-west of Galápagos Islands, Ecuador, at 10°18′N 109°13′W. It is an overseas minor territory of France under direct authority of the Minister of Overseas France.[1]

It is low-lying and largely barren, save for scattered grasses and a few clumps of coconut palms. A small volcanic outcrop rising to 29 m (95 ft) on its south-east side is referred to as "Clipperton Rock".[2] The atoll has been occupied at various times by guano miners, would-be settlers or military personnel, mostly from Mexico, which claimed it until international arbitration awarded it to France in 1931.

Clipperton has had no permanent inhabitants since 1945. It is visited on occasion by fishermen, French Navy patrols, scientific researchers, film crews, and shipwreck survivors. It has been a popular site for transmissions by ham radio operators.[3]
A good link, thanks!
Old 13-08-2015, 04:59   #67
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

I think the Joseph Banks Group in South Australia might qualify

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-08-2015, 11:45   #68

Boat: Cape Dory 28

What about some semi deserted island between Hawaii and the South Pacific, where you can pretend you're on a deserted is,and because you're the only one there?

What are the Line islands like? Palmyra? Are there any others out there that are off the beaten tack and don't often get thought about?
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 11:49   #69

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
What about some semi deserted island between Hawaii and the South Pacific, where you can pretend you're on a deserted is,and because you're the only one there?

What are the Line islands like? Palmyra? Are there any others out there that are off the beaten tack and don't often get thought about?
Palmyra has been discussed recently and extensively on a thread in this forum.

To learn more about it, I suggest the following method:

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is different from using the regular forum search box or field. Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 11:56   #70
med

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
BBC used to have a program called 'Desert Island Discs'... maybe they still do.

But if you want 'deserted' you could always move to Gruinard Island ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruinard_Island

There are sheep for tucker... and companionship....
No thanks:-

Quote:
The anthrax strain chosen for the Gruinard bioweapons trials was a highly virulent type called "Vollum 14578"
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 17:25   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Like Ireland Newfoundland has many islands or remote places that were town site but that have become abandoned. The East coast of Quebec also has many uninhabited islands. There are long stretches in both places with no roads.

Even the towns that are are very small, under 200.

I find such places intriguing. But having grown up in a very small ton I would not want to repeate that experience. I love to visit, enjoy, and move on.
Old 15-08-2015, 18:34   #72
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post

I dont know if the question is just stupid because it does come up fairly often and usually from nutters who are trying to run away from the world and think they can set upi their own country somewhere.

No, there are no unclaimed island sin the world. The most remote islands are owned by a country and they will jail you for trying a Coup...

That being said... There are only a few uninhabited islands in the Pacific... Because if they were any good they would be inhabited!!!

Of the few that are uninhabited:
Clipperton Island. Part of French Polynesia and you need a permit to be able to land but you can get a 6 month visa if you say you are counting legs on starfish or sommit...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipperton_Island

In the Marshal Islands there are a number of islands you could use, but again, its the USA administration that will make that difficult.

Further into the South Pacific all islands that have an anchorage of any value are inhabited. Its the anchorage thats really important... If you dont have one how do you get there? Or resupply? Some are so difficult the supply vessel waits offshore and locals come out in small boats.

I have been to a few on the Great Barrier Reef and whilst OK for a day or two you wouldnt want to live on them for 6 months... And the nice ones you can't stay...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 12:49   #73

Boat: Want a B430!

Tetepare is deserted. It's also the largest uninhabited island in the South Pacific. Note though, it is regularly visited by fisherman and pig hunters and researchers.

Many atolls are inhabited only on one or two islands, which leaves the remaining islands uninhabited (and clean). Pick one! Surrarow, Pidgeon Island, Palmerston, Atafu, Otang Java, Arno, etc.
Old 17-08-2015, 13:09   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes , there are uninhabited islands all over ........ if that's what you mean. In the Caribe and even here in the PNW.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:26   #75

Boat: One of a kind, 70', 3 masted, Junk Rig Schooner
Are there any deserted islands like in the movies?

SPIRAL ISLAND!
My buddy, glad to see the numerous rebuilding projects have survived better!

SS Deo Gratis

Tags
movie

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: