Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-08-2015, 16:56   #46

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Are there any deserted islands like in the movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chile1 View Post
Yes, absolutely! I've been trying to keep this place to myself, so far, so good. This 16+ hectare island has a reliable fresh water source, a small coarse sand beach and is heavily forested. The beach is a palimpsest of culture trash, hula hoops, kewpie dolls, Bic lighters, Betty Crocker cake and Koolaid mix packages, Commodore computor parts ... The list goes on. For the right person I would consider renting it.
Not a bunch of blind eels, Coney Island tout or whatever the hygienic gloves are called locally. You will have to cut the rent.

Old 11-08-2015, 16:56   #47

Boat: Roberts25 26ft

Hi I am Dieter from Australia and I just joined.Perhaps we could band together and start a community.

Old 11-08-2015, 17:27   #48

Boat: solaris 42 1978

there are over a hundred islands in the perlas that few are inhabited , i have e spent many a happy day anchored out in a protected bay and not seen a living soul .. one of my favorite the island is about 10 acres with many coconut trees and rock ledges with lots of seafood . last time there a cayuka came by with 3 kids snorkeling we bought 8 lobster and two red snapper for 40 bucks could have got it for 20 probably but made there day .. only time i have ever sen another boat in that area .. the perlas silands about 40 miles from panama city paradise ,,
Old 11-08-2015, 17:31   #49

Boat: Adams 42

Yes. I have visited quite a few. Lat. and Lon.'s available.
As previously quoted they are uninhabited for good reasons.
The glossy photos usually miss the malaria, dengue fever, flies and their virulent transmissions, sand flies, mosquitoes, snakes, lack of fresh water, razor sharp limestone, lawyer vine, coconut crabs, isolation, loneliness, etc.
The negatives very quickly trump the positives.
Hope you discover the reverse.
Cheers
Old 11-08-2015, 18:11   #50

Try this link. A deserted, uninhabited, unowned island -- in the center of Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberland
Old 11-08-2015, 18:41   #51

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Castaway on a Desert Island?

The Dream of a Personal Blue Lagoon for You?

Watch the following video.

The Real Castaway (Martin Popplewell)

Lived on two different small deserted islands in Ulithi Atoll (Yap) for seven months. He was only 18 years old!

He started on an island that turned out to be infested with rats and covered in mosquitos! Very unpleasant place to stay. He moved off, then moved to another better/bigger island.

He started with one woman (Girl Friday) who was 12 years older than him, who had answered a newspaper ad looking for a woman to go be a castaway. She lasted one month.

Then he got his dream girl to come live with him. She was about his age. She lasted 7 months, despite life threatening illness and discomfort and a poor relationship.

This was a fulfillment of his boyhood dream. He prepared for years. At the end of the video (see above) he answers a question he is often asked: "Would you do it again."

He answered: "Definitely not!"

Quoted from the Youtube intro:

When he realised his dream in 1989 he was just 18 years old. The adventure became a media sensation with journalists flying halfway round the world to cover the story. Martin kept a video diary of his experience.

In 2001 he returned to the Pacific to make a critically acclaimed documentary. The Real Castaway reunites the two castaways on their desert island 12 years after their experience. It's a story about adventure, growing up and the pursuit of an impossible dream.
A fascinating doco. Really quite entertaining. Probably more lessons to learn about the silliness of youth.
Old 11-08-2015, 19:01   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
There are many UNINHABITED islands, however to my knowledge there is only one body of land remaining on earth which does not fall under the possession and jurisdiction of a governmental body (to my knowledge) and that is Antarctica.
Unfortunately there are many countries claiming to own parts of Antarctica, and a small number of scientists in those countries who want to keep the continent for themselves, so the paperwork required to get permits is probably more than any other destination on the planet. Google IAATO for more details, and read up on the yacht Berzerk whose captain was fined for not having permits.
Old 11-08-2015, 19:13   #53

Boat: Scout 30

[QUOTE=Steady Hand;1888405]Castaway on a Desert Island?

The Dream of a Personal Blue Lagoon for You?

Watch the following video.

The Real Castaway (Martin Popplewell)

I just watched the documentary. Really interesting.
Old 11-08-2015, 19:16   #54

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

One of the uninhabited islands I would most like to visit is Clipperton Island (Ile de la Passion).

My Reasons: It is remote, has a very interesting history, is an atoll, and the lagoon is large and fresh water, not salt. That last point is what makes it really stand out to me. Every other lagoon I have seen in any atoll in the Pacific has a SALT water lagoon. This one is FRESH water. And that lagoon is separated by the narrow atoll land.

Here is a clip from Wikipedia, but there is a much longer article on wikipedia and it details the interesting aspects of this island. I encourage you to read the article to learn about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipperton_Island
Clipperton Island (French: Île de Clipperton or Île de la Passion, Spanish: Isla de la Pasión) is an uninhabited 9 km2 (3.5 sq mi) coral atoll in the eastern Pacific Ocean, 1,080 km (671 mi) south-west of Mexico, 2,424 km (1,506 mi) west of Nicaragua, 2,545 km (1,581 mi) west of Costa Rica and 2,260 km (1,404 mi) north-west of Galápagos Islands, Ecuador, at 10°18′N 109°13′W. It is an overseas minor territory of France under direct authority of the Minister of Overseas France.[1]

It is low-lying and largely barren, save for scattered grasses and a few clumps of coconut palms. A small volcanic outcrop rising to 29 m (95 ft) on its south-east side is referred to as "Clipperton Rock".[2] The atoll has been occupied at various times by guano miners, would-be settlers or military personnel, mostly from Mexico, which claimed it until international arbitration awarded it to France in 1931.

Clipperton has had no permanent inhabitants since 1945. It is visited on occasion by fishermen, French Navy patrols, scientific researchers, film crews, and shipwreck survivors. It has been a popular site for transmissions by ham radio operators.[3]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipperton Island Isle de la Passion 800px-Ile_de_Clipperton_(carte-fr).png
Views:	130
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	107168  
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 19:27   #55

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Unfortunately there are many countries claiming to own parts of Antarctica, and a small number of scientists in those countries who want to keep the continent for themselves, so the paperwork required to get permits is probably more than any other destination on the planet. Google IAATO for more details, and read up on the yacht Berzerk whose captain was fined for not having permits.
No country claims to 'own' Antarctica. There are 38 nations who are part of the Antarctic Treaty and agree to safeguard the continent for science and nature.

Permits are not hard to get and are simply necessary to ensure the well-being of the continent and safety of people travelling.

http://www.southpolestation.com/trivia/10s/berserk.html
Old 11-08-2015, 23:19   #56

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

I don't know for the China Sea, but here in Greece we have soooo many!! True you need to bring your own water or use a desalinator,
Mild weather year round, no humidity, and completely deserted. We have some 2,000 of them. Just an example below http://www.sea-seek.com/?geo=1922

Old 11-08-2015, 23:52   #57

Boat: Cape Dory 28

I suppose I got to thinking about it when I read about all the regulations in the South Pacific, and then the costs and entry fees and everything. Unfortunately that's not how I pictured it at all. Now I'm sure it is still amazing, and every bit worth the trip, I just imagined you sailed up to Fiji or the Cook Islands or wherever and pretty much could just do what you wanted and anchor where you wanted for how long you wanted to!

So the idea of an UNCCHARTED UNINHABITED island really appeals to me. I don't want to go and live like Tom hanks and pick my teeth with an ice skate! I just like the idea at least, even if I never go, that there are still places in this increasingly crowded world, where you can go and completely get away from it all. To me that has always been half the appeal of long distance sailing.

Noonsite. That's the website I found out about that killed my dream. To be fair, Washington and BC, while full of people, still do have plenty of places that have pretty relaxed anchoring restrictions, but they are far from that uninhabited island paradise.

If they exist that are not on the map and they are not in any travel guides. as I increasingly get my boat more self sufficient, it's getting to the point where soon all I will need to do is add food and I can live forever anywhere.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 00:01   #58

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
There are actually very few 'Deserted' islands. To Desert an island, it need to have once been occupied and the inhabitants decided to leave the island without returning.

There are many UNINHABITED islands, however to my knowledge there is only one body of land remaining on earth which does not fall under the possession and jurisdiction of a governmental body (to my knowledge) and that is Antarctica.

In short, there are many, many, many uninhabited islands, however they are all owned by someone. The idea of 'no red' tape.....good luck.
BBC used to have a program called 'Desert Island Discs'... maybe they still do.

But if you want 'deserted' you could always move to Gruinard Island ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruinard_Island

There are sheep for tucker... and companionship....
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:56   #59

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Are there any deserted islands that just have a couple of cafes and maybe a supermarket on them?
Old 12-08-2015, 05:12   #60

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
Are there any deserted islands that just have a couple of cafes and maybe a supermarket on them?
San Juan comes to mind

northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: