Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 22:45   #1

Boat: Custom, 35' Sloop - Privateer II
Anyone Leaving the Victoria, BC Area in Late August or September to Head to Mexico ?

We were going to leave next year to Mexico, but we may change are plans to this year, if all falls into place. I'm just wondering if anyone else would be heading that way from Canada to Mexico in August or September 2010?

CyberKitty
cyberkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 06:35   #2

Boat: Beneteau 305
If you don't make it this year,... I am makeing plans to head out in 2011
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 15:16   #3

Boat: Custom, 35' Sloop - Privateer II
It is our first voyage south. Have you made the trip before?
cyberkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 18:48   #4

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Looks like we're heading out during the summer of 2011. Planning on spending a bit of time in the Bay Area and SoCal before going south of the border.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 20:26   #5

Boat: Tartan 37 Adios III
My guess is that about 50 boats a year leave the straights of Juan de Fuca every year, maybe more.

Clear in to the states at Port Angeles or Neah Bay and then wait at Neah Bay. Both times I have done it I have sailed right by Neah Bay and headed out.

Had some good wind, too much wind and not enough wind on both trips.
daedaluscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 15:43   #6

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
I've made the trip both ways about a dozen times on deliveries. If you leave Victoria or Port Townsend in the early morning you will clear Neah Bay/Cape Flattery about 2000 hours. Just continue west for about 30 nm's then hang a left. If you turn sooner, you run the risk of getting caught in the rips off the Columbia River or worse still the foul ground outside of Gray's Harbour. I have always given both area a lot of space because when things go wrong out there, they go wrong at the worst possible times in the worst possible location. You are leaving at the absolutely best time of the year. The prevailing current and wind should drop you right into Drakes Bay just south of Point Reyes north of San Francisco. If you plan on going into SF, stand off shore until you hit the separation lanes then take the northern one under the Golden Gate. A direct run from Point Reyes or Drakes Bay will take you across the 'potato patch', a local shallow that can build some pretty frightening size seas large enough to roll a 50 foot power boat. Have a great passage!
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 13:45   #7

We plan on leaving Seattle the weekend of Sep 4th, heading to Neah Bay and then leaving there if the weather is good or wait until it is. We are ultimatly heading to San Diego and doing the HaHa, but will be stopping in San Francisco and so-cal on the way down.
buchhla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 20:47   #8

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
A year ago this week we departed Squamish for Mexico.After a week in the Gulf islands, we departed Neah Bay Aug. 11. 3 days and nights days got us to Port Orford,from there(after 5 days of gales), Drakes Bay.Apart from the 45 knots and 25 ft. seas after Mendocino lasting all night, it was smooth all the way,Left San Diego Nov. 10, eventually arriving in Vallarta.Boat is high and dry waiting my return, for another season of the Mexican coast.See you there.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 00:15   #9

For those of you leaving Pugest sound (or thereabouts) in 2010 or 2011, I'd love to see your planned departure times and follow your blogs. PM me if you have a blog.

Thanks!
-p
Old 30-07-2010, 08:52   #10

Boat: SJ23 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_Seattle View Post
For those of you leaving Pugest sound (or thereabouts) in 2010 or 2011, I'd love to see your planned departure times and follow your blogs. PM me if you have a blog.
Ditto!

My plan is to head north my first year, then return, re-fit (fix and make it just right from the shake down), and head south.
I look forward to everyone's posts/blogs/webspots regarding their trip south.

Question, you are heading south for the winter... is it a small circle? PS-Mexico-Hawaii-PS? or something bigger?

FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 08:58   #11

our blog for the trip is TOWARDS THE PACIFIC.

We are on a Wauquiez Pretorien 35 named Piko.

See you out there!

Lauren and Lauren
buchhla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:42   #12

Boat: SJ23 1988
Thanks Buchhla, but that 1977 Esquire article was just NUTS!

Was that guy commited when they returned to shore??? OMG! I've never read anything so Depressing in my life. He was speaking about himself in the 3rd person... as if he had left his body. Dear DOG! Frightening stuff!
FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 17:32   #13

Boat: Baba 30
We're leaving Port Townsend, headed for So. Cal. & the Baja-ha September 2011. I work at a boatyard here and meet many folks either headed that way now, or planning on going next year. The economy seems to have stimulated many to take the trip interestingly.
See ya there!

Bob & Sharon
S/V Mischief
Old 30-08-2010, 08:23   #14

Boat: Cape George 40
Just under a year ago (Sept. 5th) I sailed from the San Juan's to San Francisco and then on to San Diego where I joined up with the Baja haha. After a winter in La Paz I sailed to Hawaii and then back home to Washington. I wish I could have afforded to keep sailing in my own boat but am happy to have her home where I more easily prepare her for the next adventure. So the point of my note is that I miss the ocean and Baja and would love to join up with a boat sailing south this fall.
I have over 25000 miles of sailing experience, 10000 on the ocean as captain of my own boat ( 40ft cutter). I know the in and outs of sailing in Baja and the sea of cortez, am easy going, a good cook, non-smoker, clean, have maintained a 40ft sailboat to high standards while cruising, can bleed a diesel in 15 foot seas, etc,. Willing to meet up with a boat anywhere along the coast.
For those of you leaving this week, have a safe trip. We did Neah bay to San Francisco in 7 days, had no wind until southern Oregon. Spent month at Clipper yacht harbor in Sausalito. Moorage was about the same as Seattle. Close to West Marine and a grocery store. (2 min. walk).

Cheers, Patrick
poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 14:17   #15

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
One of several recreational trawlers seen leaving Victoria harbor one July 2010 afternoon:

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico