Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 16:08   #1

Boat: CS 40
Anchorages in the Philippines

We're heading through the Philippines from Puerto Galera to Bislig Bay on our way to Palau. I'm especially interested in any recommended anchorages on the W coast of Leyte, E coast of Bohol and the NE coast of Mindanao.

Thanks!

Mike Fossl
S/V Second Jump
mikefossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:11   #2

Boat: Com-pac 25
Re: Anchorages in the Philippines

Mike, while I do not have the answers you seek, it may be a good idea to join the Philippines Social Group within CF:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Boats & Sailing in The Philippines

I am more familiar with the islands in the Visayas (e.g. Panay, Negros, Cebu)
zUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 15:56   #3

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329

I can only speak to the coast of Mindanao with any kind of certainty.

Surigao City is a great place to stock up if you feel that you need to. Most boats tie stern to along the "boulevard" which is the very long wharf you are sure to notice. The boulevard can be busy and loud at night so anchor 1 or 2 cables off, the further South all the better in order to shade the current. You can not anchor South of the terminal at the South end. The market and grocery stores are at the North side of town, by the way

From there South the coast and outer islands are littered with great anchorages and hidey holes;

You are going to want to get through the straits but do not pass up the Sohoton coast of Bucas Grande before you enter the Pacific. This is the "Palau of the Philippines" and a national park. Free mooring balls are available in nearly every cove but be sure to dive them if you are experiencing any rare westerlies. A month here would not be enough.

From there South along the coast there are a lot of anchorages but none are well charted and all are subject to swell. Most are protected by reefs but you do not want to be stuck there. Consider this whole coast a lee shore under normal conditions.

Bislig bay - Mangagoy; My stomping grounds. Another good place to stock up for essentials and seafood. If you want to go in to town, anchor West of the Picop jetty (big gazeebo at the end) on the South side of the bay, dinghy to the East side of the jetty and beach at Danipas, no one will mess with it, I promise. You can then take a tricycle taxi to town. Do not attempt to approach Mangagoy proper. Big rollers come in this bay at times, like right now. If you are not interested in town, go to Hogonoy Island on the North side of the bay and anchor on the West side (008°15'18.52", 126°22'4.87") in 3m sand. This is a great place to wait, get your bottom cleaned and buy fresh fish off of fishing boats if the weather is crappy.

Its a 2 day passage from Surigao City to Bislig Bay straight away. It could be stretched out to months in a 4' draft boat skippered by a daring soul.

Remember to smile when you are in the Philippines!
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 16:19   #4

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefossl View Post
We're heading through the Philippines from Puerto Galera to Bislig Bay on our way to Palau. I'm especially interested in any recommended anchorages on the W coast of Leyte, E coast of Bohol and the NE coast of Mindanao.

Thanks!

Mike Fossl
S/V Second Jump
Are you set on Bislig Bay as your jump of point to Palau? We came the other way (from Palau), thru Dapa Channel and Hinatuan Passage. Didn't stop in Surigao, it didn't look safe (the waves hitting the seawall, not the people!)

Friends stopped at Suluan Island, coming from Palau, and had very favorable reports, I would try this next time:
010 45 N
125 56 E

you would have to check out somewhere else before Suluan for paperwork.

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 17:51   #5

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
you would have to check out somewhere else before Suluan for paperwork.

Dirk
Good point Dirk! You can check out in Surigao City at the airport or at the ship terminal at the South end of the "boulevard".
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:24   #6

Boat: Sailboat

Regarding other places to anchor. See waypoints in attached gpx file, our trip Jan 2011 (remove the .doc extension).

Maasin on South Leyte is another port to check out.

Dirk
Attached Files
File Type: doc Philippines-201101.GPX.doc (6.6 KB, 198 views)
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 00:56   #7

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
You might like to check this blog out, this couple sailed thru and anchored in many places.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/valiam/?xjMsgID=57562

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:49   #8

Boat: Com-pac 25

There are some beautiful islands NE of Panay near Estancia. Google for Pan de Azucar link: Concepcion's Islands - 16 hidden gems in Iloilo, Iloilo | Explore Iloilo

Estancia is a major fishing center and you'll be able to purchase some of the freshest fish as they're unloaded from the fishing boats.

Boracay on the western side of Panay has gorgeous beaches but too touristy for my taste. On the otherhand it is a good place to rest, resupply, etc. There's even a chandlery there.

Between Panay and Negros is an island called Guimaras. It has some decent spots but most important to note is Santa Ana Bay which would be a good place for shelter should the need arise.

Negros island - to me is a jewel. But, I'm biased since I spent my entire youth there. Not only does it have excellent diving spots like Apo Island, Siquijor, and Sipalay. Further south from Sipalay is Hinobaan, which has decent beaches, reasonably priced beach cottages and a cave where the paraws can enter all the way in. Crystal clear waters in the cave about 30 feet deep. Off of Cadiz City in Northern Negros is Lakawon island, one of the closest white sand beaches from the capital of Negros Occidental which is Bacolod.

Negros though has much more to offer if you're also a trekking fan. It is one of the few islands that still has succesfully preserved some of its rich thick rain forests. In fact, it has 4 volcanoes. The highest peak, Mt. Kanlaon is an active volcano and National Park often visited by trekkers in the dry season. I was fortunate enough to have climbed all the way to the top in my younger college years.

I hope you can get to see some of these places.
zUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, Philippines