It may be a little early, however, I want to begin asking the questions what did and didn't work. I am up in the Philipppines with a 170 knot
typhoon that luckily has just been forecasted to track to my North. However, someday I may not be so lucky.
The problems of other boats breaking way and heading into your vessel are not ones that can be fixed no matter how good your mooring
is. "Typhoon proof" harbors are not safe if large vessels are anchored upwind. That is why I concluded it is critical for me to have an escape to open sea if vessels anchor nearby.
During a typhoon in January, I found a very large commercial
vessel and maintained a position in it's lee. Neither of us were anchored.
When feedback is possible, knowing how many anchors were laid down, size of mooring
, and whether failure was owing to being rammed by a large vessel is useful.
I am particularly impressed about how many masts were able to survive these winds.
I was not impressed looking at one sailboat that still had the mainsail
mounted on the boom.
When I prepared for Yolanda that passed within 40 nm of me, I left the pilot house windows open so the wind
could freely pass through. 14 lines attached my vessel to the shore. 4 of those were chain.
I read a good statement about putting out ground tackle.
If what you put in the water fails, you probably won't need what you failed to put in.
One particular item I am looking for feedback on is called a kellet. A kellet is a heavy weight on the chain that must be lifted before the anchor sees any load. I currently have 500 kilos of kellet in the water
. These are my spare diesel
drums filled with sand. They are plastic drums so my main concern is attachment points to the drum failing.