Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 21:40   #1
Lt.

Alaska!

Does anyone here have experience sailing in, or near Alaska? I live up here and am curious of what its like sailing here. If you liked it up here, then where did you sail and what was it like? If you didn't like it, then why not and where were you?

FYI~I'm land locked quite a ways in at this point and have only been on a couple ferries and a fishing trip.
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 22:43   #2

Boat: Kent Ranger 24
I've spent weeks on the inside passage in SE Alaska and seen hundreds is sailboats go by but they always were motoring. Between all the islands and the severe currents I think SE is a cruising paradise but not necessarily a sailing paradise
Ltwud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:34   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Alaska!

A great book which will give you some insight on various issues is "Passage to Juneau" but Jonathan Raban.

It is available through Amazon here.
Old 11-05-2012, 22:28   #4

I looked up the book you referenced and it was very highly recommended and so I am going to order it and read it next month when I make almost the identical journey from Olympia WA to ketichican AK. I ant wait for the voyage and now I will have a good book for the down time as well

LW
Old 12-05-2012, 02:58   #5

Boat: prairie32 cutter

It is a wonderful trip. I have been up and down from portland to skagway(glacier bay) 12 times and going again this year.
Old 12-05-2012, 16:57   #6

TopG

How long do you take to get there on what size boat? Where do you like to stop along the way? We hit Skagway in July a few years ago off a cruise ship and really enjoyed it. The pink salmon were so thick we caught a bunch off hand lines right in the downtown city park but got in trouble because you have to have a pole and reel
Old 10-06-2012, 20:23   #7

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Hi,

Living and Sailed on the North West Coast for 25 years. Most boaters have a goal North to South or South to North. The Inside passages have winds predominately the same. The trick is is to be flexible go with the wind and Sail East to West. Head into the outside passages, wider more wind and you have a better chance of Sailing. People who motor are often making time. RElax and enjoy a smaller area, that what sailing is all about, yes?

SUmmer is short (if it arrives). Rain is what you expect, clear weather is what makes it special. Also in Northern BC, perhaps more than SE Alaska, very few habited places, so be prepared to fix what breaks. Leave the Inside Passage and you are often on your own. Incredible area.
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 22:26   #8

Boat: Moody 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltwud View Post
I've spent weeks on the inside passage in SE Alaska and seen hundreds is sailboats go by but they always were motoring. Between all the islands and the severe currents I think SE is a cruising paradise but not necessarily a sailing paradise
Only been there for one summer, but certainly my experience: not enough wind anywhere north of Cape Caution except well outside. That's why trawler yachts are so popular.
AndrewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 22:34   #9

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska