Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2009, 15:01   #1

Advice Needed: Sailing Home - Mexico to New Zealand

Kia ora
I am in the early stages of planning a solo voyage from Mexico to New Zealand, looking at leaving in December or early January 2010. My first stop looks like it will be Tahiti, and from what i have read in world cruising routes, the best time to make the first jump is December to May, but i am also reading that the heart of cyclone season for the south pacific is February to March. I basically want to sail home before i turn gray, but also safely and on the cheap.
any advice on trip planning, especially if you have sailed those waters at that time of year - would be much appreciated - you'll be helping a kiwi boy return home.
nahaku noa
Tiaki
tiaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 15:47   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Kia ora, mate,

Say from Mexico in April, so that you get to Marquesas in May and you have the time till November and in November you move on to NZ.

But this would be a one-season gig. Why not take it easy, winter over in a safe spot and go on to NZ one year later?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 03:59   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See 'Cruising the Coconut Milk Run'
by Ken Machtley and Cathy Siegismund (“Felicity”)

http://www.svfelicity.com/articles/milkrun.pdf
or
http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/milkrun.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 01:38   #4

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
It's downwind, kick back and enjoy

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 18:31   #5

Hi there mate,

I'm curious if you want an extra hand on deck? I'm a 21 year old kiwi male, my sailing is limited to being crew on coastal and lake excursions but It's a dream of mine to sail from the America's across the pacific... Due in part to being a direct descendant of Bounty Mutineer leader Fletcher Christian (he is my great great great great great great grandfather). I am in Brasil right now but have the resources to fund my travels. My family is also in the abrasive blasting and spraypainting business in Whangarei, Rudolphs Ltd is the company and I worked for them prior to my trip here. I'm sure I could also arrange for some very cost-effective repairs after the voyage.
Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 22:16   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Check out the Pacific Puddle Jump information put together by Latitude 38 at:
Pacific Puddle Jump Official Web Site
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:57   #7

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Tiaki, one reason to visit Latitude 38's PPJ page is that you can apply to "join" thier PPJ group, which may well mean you can avoid the cost of a bond when arriving anywhere in French Polynesia. You don't need to 'be' anywhere specific at any point in time to be included in this group; it's just a courtesy extended by the Pape'ete-based yacht club after some years of loose affiliation with the L38's PPJ coverage. This arrangement worked beautifully for the 2009 PPJ group and a multi-day rally between several of the Society islands was added by the YC, along with games, parties and 'extras', at no charge to the rally participants who chose to attend. Seems like a shame to miss it...

Also, suggest you download Mr. John's FP guide (the price is right for your budget <g>) which I find at:
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kDQdS3e...nesia%20Gd.pdf

And to keep the boat from getting broken (which can be very expensive), you should read Mr. John's discussion (another small guide) of the Dangerous Middle (essentially, an area from the Cooks to Tonga). That's at:
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kDQdS7C...s%20Middle.pdf

FYI I'm accessing both these files from within the Yahoo PPJ Group. If these files aren't made available to you simply by clicking on the links above, then you can go to the PPJ group at Yahoo, join it, and then they will be. You'll find that group at:
pacificpuddlejump : Pacific PuddleJump

Lots of very useful info in those messages & files for someone with your plans.

Best wishes for some good sailing...

Jack
Old 07-12-2009, 11:13   #8

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
It can be done in a hurry, I left Panama end of Jan and was in Auckland March 5th.(32 ft)

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
New Zealand, Mexico