PART 6 The disaster continues.
We didn't haul the boat. The new coupling worked great and everything was going well. We set off from Eden. The forecast
was for 20-30K wind
. Which was on the strong side. But it was from behind for once. We got along at rapid speed with just the main up. The wind was causing the genoa
to flap behind the main. In hindsight we should have dropped the main and used only the genoa
Gradually the wind picked up to a gale overnight and I awoke from my snooze to the sound of a crash gybe and frantic yelling. The main sheet had ripped the blocks in half and that had allowed the boom to pivot on the shrouds ripping the fitting out the end of the boom which connects it to the mast
. So we had a madly flailing disconnected boom with the sail pulling out of the track. By this time they had started the motor
just in time to get it into the wind. For some reason this sort of problem is always mine to try to fix up so I ran up on deck
and somehow lowered the main with no more damage. The sail was OK.
The sun had only just came out to show the state of the sea which was obscured by darkness up until now, hiding the sea state. The waves were huge and wind must have been gale force. We rigged a storm jib
on the inner stay ready to go before we set out (see we occasionally do somethings right). If only we raised it earlier. We were still doing 5K with the tiny sail and surfing at almost 10K down the face of the waves.
We decided to keep the engine ticking over so it would be running when we needed it given our starting problems. After a few hours it got very loud then died with an Almighty clunk. A week waiting at Eden was a waste of time now with the motor
dead anyway. The wind eased off by mid morning and by the time we got to Ulladulla we had to use the tender
along side to get in. We repaired the boom and mainsheet easily. But the engine will not run again. There is metal to metal contact on the pistons.
More Northerly winds and we tacked our way to Sydney
. The wind died tottally about 5 mile out of the heads like usual and we used the dingy to get in. So we are sitting in Syndey now for a rest day. Then we will battle our way north again into the NE winds. IF we can get to Newcastle the Southerlys will have kicked in up there and the rest should be easy. We plan to fit an outboard
motor a Coffs Harbour.
Everything looks so calm on vid