Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2018, 06:29   #1

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
ZuluWaterways is it the new AC?

I've been looking at www.zuluwaterways.com (I have no affiliation what so ever) Looks like its a fledgling Active-Captain. Has anyone got any experience with this site? I've been playing around a bit with it and can't figure out how to "contribute" information.

pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:40   #2

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: ZuluWaterways is it the new AC?

We post things on it to try to get more information in North America in our area. It's nice and pretty easy to add items.

SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 21:34   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I've been playing around a bit with it and can't figure out how to "contribute" information.
To add a new icon, click a place on the map until the red marker appears. If it’s in the location where you want to add an icon, simply click it again to open the ‘add new icon’ window. Then follow the prompts. We are working on making these steps more clear through some programming changes.

Disclosure:: I am associated with Zulu Waterways.
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 06:03   #4

Herreshoff, thanks! But what about items that are already there? Can I add information to them? Right now it looks like you can't add to an already existing marker. E.G. Update info or add to it. Specifically I happened to be looking at a couple of marinas in Kingston, NY. While they have markers on the map, you can't add anything to them. Why is this?
Old 13-07-2018, 06:11   #5
Marine Service Provider

Sure you can. In the icon you will see a button called ‘edit information’. Clicking that button will open the edit window. Alternatively, if you want to add personal experiences, rather than fact based information, you can add it in the comments/experiences section under the main information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	94159F1F-D6D5-423E-88B6-E94F2CBB0D70.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	173496  
Old 13-07-2018, 06:59   #6

Thanks, Oddly I don't get those options. The only thing I see is a partially obsured link to google maps. no options like you show. Do I need a different level of account?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zulu.PNG
Views:	168
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	173497  
Old 13-07-2018, 07:04   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Thanks, Oddly I don't get those options. The only thing I see is a partially obsured link to google maps. no options like you show. Do I need a different level of account?

That icon is a google icon. It’s different from the icons you add on ZW. We include the google info as it is useful in some cases.

I would suggest to try adding an icon as I described above at the marina and get a feel for entering the information. Just click (or tap if on mobile) twice in the location you want to add something.
Old 13-07-2018, 09:12   #8

Boat: Gulf 32 & Nimble 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herreshoff View Post
To add a new icon, click a place on the map until the red marker appears. If it’s in the location where you want to add an icon, simply click it again to open the ‘add new icon’ window. Then follow the prompts. We are working on making these steps more clear through some programming changes.

Disclosure:: I am associated with Zulu Waterways.

Since you're associated with them, can you say if there's any plan for offline access to this data? With all the turmoil over ActiveCaptain, their website still works more or less the same, it's being able to access that data offline that I miss...
Old 13-07-2018, 11:31   #9

Based on the amount of data I can see for the US east coast. I'm guessing that they've just started up as there isn't a lot of data (1 data point for all of Lake Ontario) Yet. I'm thinking what AC was like 3 years ago.

It would be great if they jumped at the chance to have integration with OpenCPN. That's a big user base already!
Old 13-07-2018, 13:12   #10

It's popular in Australia. I added a favorite anchorage in Rhode Island and will add more in our next cruise.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 13:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
It's popular in Australia. I added a favorite anchorage in Rhode Island and will add more in our next cruise.
Yep, I can see that now. Had to zoom out a fair ways to start seeing entries. In another week I'm doing the Erie Canal so I'll be adding entries as I stop (unfortunately its a delivery trip not a fun trip!)
Old 13-07-2018, 14:30   #12

Boat: Leopard 42

Quote:
I've been looking at www.zuluwaterways.com (I have no affiliation what so ever) Looks like its a fledgling Active-Captain. Has anyone got any experience with this site? I've been playing around a bit with it and can't figure out how to "contribute" information.
I have tried it but the android app crashes regularly. Makes it very annoying to use. Reinstalling doesn't help
swampbush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 16:27   #13

Boat: Alberg 30

nice to see an APP like AC
hope they don't sell us out down the road like Active Captain Did
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 20:19   #14
Marine Service Provider

Yes, offline is on the way, and in a few formats. Zulu Waterways will develop its own offline version where you will be able to save portions of the map and data to your device. It should also be possible to add data while offline, which gets submitted to the live site when back in reception. There are also discussions to display ZW data as an overlay on some well known plotting programs. This is still being discussed between the ZW team and the other company’s however so nothing is confirmed yet.

The US region is very underdeveloped. It needs dedicated boaters adding what they know to the data base. Once this begins on mass the ZW team will source supplementary information from official sources, as well as forming relationships with local sailors and clubs. ZW in Australia works along side local sailors and sailing clubs to gather data for the platform and each party helps to cross promote the other. It’s been a success in Australia with the data you can see there gathered in about 18months. As more are getting involved in the US now, this process can begin there also. So if local sailors have log books, detailed blogs and website with destination information, and want to work together with ZW, they should get in touch. The best thing a boaters can do in this region if they want to see ZW develop there is to get involved, spread the word further is to start adding data. It’s amazing how quick an area fills up once a few begin adding.

As for OpenCPN. This is being considered.
Old 13-07-2018, 20:47   #15
Musician & 50T Master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: ex-Tartan4100, now MS34 Pilot

hey Herreshoff - could you scrape the data points all of us users put on Active Captain? the data is ours. you have permission to scrape mine for use on Zulu Waterways.

how difficult would it be to add a Routing tool, or Ruler tool? these tools are now removed from Active Captain, by adding these to Zulu you would immediately have an attractive reason for users round the world to use your app whether or not there datapoints on the chart.

Tags
water