Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2018, 18:23   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: ZuluWaterways is it the new AC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
hey Herreshoff - could you scrape the data points all of us users put on Active Captain? the data is ours. you have permission to scrape mine for use on Zulu Waterways.

how difficult would it be to add a Routing tool, or Ruler tool? these tools are now removed from Active Captain, by adding these to Zulu you would immediately have an attractive reason for users round the world to use your app whether or not there datapoints on the chart.
I'm pretty sure Garmin owns all that data now. I would hate to see what they did if it were to be shared elsewhere.

Interesting idea about the routing tool. One path to go down would be to develop ZW as it's own plotter. So add in tracking, routing, boat speed etc. This could then have both charts and google satellite map options as well as the ZW data. There are so many mobile plotters now though that it's kind of crazy to try and produce another. It would be great if ZW could find an exisiting plotter that has good values (prices, data sharing) that would overlay the ZW data on their platform.
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 18:48   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Most plotters can import data like AIS via NMEA without regard to the AIS manufacturer. Why can't you do the same with crowd sourced data like ZW? Perhaps a ZW black box that streams NMEA data and has wi-fi built in so you can update it while sailing and then upload your inputted data and download the latest data when in port? I must be missing something.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 18:56   #18

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herreshoff View Post
I'm pretty sure Garmin owns all that data now. I would hate to see what they did if it were to be shared elsewhere.

Interesting idea about the routing tool. One path to go down would be to develop ZW as it's own plotter. So add in tracking, routing, boat speed etc. This could then have both charts and google satellite map options as well as the ZW data. There are so many mobile plotters now though that it's kind of crazy to try and produce another. It would be great if ZW could find an exisiting plotter that has good values (prices, data sharing) that would overlay the ZW data on their platform.
OpenCPN would get my vote. Its an open source plotter that is doing very well. There is a dedicated form here. There is even a raspberry pi distro (openplotter) that has it built in. so building a plugin for OpenCPN to pull data from ZW would be the next logical choice in my view. lots of big wins for minimal effort.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 19:00   #19
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herreshoff View Post
Keep it simple. Just a planning tool. Since ZW can already set data points on the map, creating a route is the same code but a different class.

Distance is open source tool
Old 14-07-2018, 19:01   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Most plotters can import data like AIS via NMEA without regard to the AIS manufacturer. Why can't you do the same with crowd sourced data like ZW? Perhaps a ZW black box that streams NMEA data and has wi-fi built in so you can update it while sailing and then upload your inputted data and download the latest data when in port? I must be missing something.
I imagine something like that would work. It's going to be about finding the best means to integrate the data with the platforms boaters use, and how to do so in a efficient way which takes into consideration effort and resources. That may well be the NMEA option, or it may be working with a company like iNAVX who could display it. It hasn't been decided which way to go yet. Discussions are being had with a bunch of different platforms so the best option should soon become clear.
Old 14-07-2018, 19:09   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Keep it simple. Just a planning tool. Since ZW can already set data points on the map, creating a route is the same code but a different class.

Distance is open source tool
What's distance Sympthony?
Old 14-07-2018, 19:13   #22

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

I use OpenCPN exclusively. If ZW were to integrate with it I would use it. ZW is currently open source but from the tone here they are looking to integrate with a commercial platform. The same path AC took.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 22:37   #23
Marine Service Provider

Just to clarify. We are not looking to merge or become partners with another company. Zulu Waterways will remain independent. When we talk about integrating data it just refers to having the option to display data on different platforms, not merging with a company or organisation. It may have sounded confusing as I said 'work with' where I should have said 'who we could display data through'.

I can see many are shaken by what happened with AC. Please try not to think of ZW in the same light. It's not the same. We have our own set of values that we abide by and therefor it's future will go down a different path.

As for Open CPN. It's a great idea and will be explored further. Previously the idea was raised with some of the people at Open CPN and it was all very positive.
Old 15-07-2018, 00:05   #24

What I do is to actually TALK to the folks on the boats next to mine.

They tell me all sorts of neat things.

We don't have to get on the internet webbie toobie thing.

We share coffee.

Carolyn make great pancakes.

Mark does great bagels.

Hortense does the scones.

And, oh, NO, we may not even have connectivity.

Can you imagine?

PS --- Said while we're connected to be even able to type this, but then, really, folks, I've actually gone now for two years without a, gasp, phone.

Would would've thunk?

For those who want or "need" that service, it's certainly helpful.

Have at it.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 00:43   #25
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
What I do is to actually TALK to the folks on the boats next to mine.
You're actually allowed to do both! Talk to other cruisers at happy hour *and* look online for information.

Works really well
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 04:54   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi!
Sorry i was unclear.
Stack Overflow offers algorithms to calculate distance from LatLong in python, c#, annd JS. NOAA, Northern Arizona Uni, GeoDataSource, and haversine also have open calculators.

Exporting the user contributed data points and dealing with integrating to other map apps is one thing (with a lot of HelpDesk), but AC used to also serve as a planning tool with its webpage and simple route tool. This can also be done with Google Earth tools.

Enjoy and thanks for working ZW!
Old 15-07-2018, 06:24   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Hi!
Sorry i was unclear.
Stack Overflow offers algorithms to calculate distance from LatLong in python, c#, annd JS. NOAA, Northern Arizona Uni, GeoDataSource, and haversine also have open calculators.

Exporting the user contributed data points and dealing with integrating to other map apps is one thing (with a lot of HelpDesk), but AC used to also serve as a planning tool with its webpage and simple route tool. This can also be done with Google Earth tools.

Enjoy and thanks for working ZW!
Now I'm with you! I can see that it would be both useful and fairly easy to implement. I will look into it further in the next few days. Thanks for that.
Old 15-07-2018, 14:31   #28

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

Thanks for putting this together. I just downloaded the app. I have used Active Captain and contributed information. I will contribute information to this app. I like Active Captain, but now it is not what was promised.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:37   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just returned to Zulu Waterways but didn't find any new tools for measuring distance or creating routes. I didn't find any marks or comments in my sailing grounds - a little area called Long Island Sound.
It will be difficult to gain traction if there's no reason to use the app. Active Captain started with the measuring and routing tools while they tried to get people to use it and leave comments.
I would like to see a successor to Active Captain succeed.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:28   #30
Marine Service Provider

So after exchanging emails with many boaters from North America recently, we (Zulu Waterways) have decided to start putting time into growing the information available there. We understand that it's discouraging to add to a blank area and therefor we will start by adding in (on mass) staple information such as marinas, fuel docks, bridges, public facilities etc. We will then want to make contact with sailing clubs, local sailors and cruising guide authors who want to work together to further grow the information such as anchorages, hazards and navigation information. Over the next few weeks you will start to see a whole lot more information in the area. Now is the time to get in touch if you know of local sources of information, to let us know if you have log book entries/websites/personal records of local information, or if you know of any good contacts in the area. Help us in this way and we will start working hard to input data from our end.

As for the routing tools Symphony, we have just done a whole bunch more programming but the routing tool hasn't been done yet. It's on the list, but not at the top. Stay tuned.

Tags
water