Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2019, 12:43   #1

Zero Breeze AC

Has anyone had any experience with this product on a boat. Is it powerful enough to cool down a 25 boat during the mid Atlantic dog days of summer?
It looks like a cool idea and if run off of two deep cycle batteries it could be run all night.

https://www.zerobreeze.com/
cfimechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 12:53   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Zero Breeze AC

Issue is the amount of electrical power required to move heat.
Anything that can be run all night off of two deep cycle batteries, unless they are Submarine batteries isn’t going to have enough oomph to cool a small boat during the dog days of summer.

That’s going to take a 5,000 BTU AC from the box store and a Honda generator. 5,000 is likely larger than necessary, but a Honda will run it easily and they don’t come much smaller or cheaper.

Even if you could find something that could be run off of batteries, what’s going to run it, and charge the batteries the next day?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 13:06   #3

Re: Zero Breeze AC

I was thinking of using for just a single Sat/Sun overnight situation. They claim there compressor is more efficient than a standard AC compressor and its peak power draw is 15aH. Evan if It cant cool down the whole boat it might be worth while to just have it blow right on me threw the hatch at night.
Old 20-06-2019, 13:54   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Average humans produce 300-600 BTU of body heat.

This thing is 1100 btu. It’ll keep a small cabin area cooler than without it.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 14:12   #5

For an overnight, maybe DIY?

Cooler (w/ block of ice), fan and a pvc elbow.

Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 14:14   #6

Boat: 42' Chung Wua Trawler

I have not used this one but I have experience with similar products. The problem is that they often put out as much heat as they do cold. Thinking about the physics of the situation, where is the heat going? That is why they put home AC compressors outside. Unless there is a way to plumb the heat outside this setup is going to be very inefficient.
cpisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 05:18   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Zero Breeze AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
For an overnight, maybe DIY?

Cooler (w/ block of ice), fan and a pvc elbow.

Those actually work very well. You see them often in small airplanes, idea is to stay cool until you get airborne and up to altitude where it’s cool anyway.
The better ones circulate water through what looks like a transmission cooler, that the fan blows air over.
You only get a couple of hours max out of a whole cooler full of ice though.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...13-16043-6.php
Old 21-06-2019, 05:58   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Read this. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-28515.html

My rule was 14-17 btu per cubic foot. THe highest was if there was lots of glass, or sunlight making it's way into the cabin.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 06:56   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Zero Breeze AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfimechanic View Post
I was thinking of using for just a single Sat/Sun overnight situation. They claim there compressor is more efficient than a standard AC compressor and its peak power draw is 15aH. Evan if It cant cool down the whole boat it might be worth while to just have it blow right on me threw the hatch at night.

Now you are changing the use, first you said cool a boat during the dog days of Summer, now it’s maybe it will cool me off a little blowing on me at night.
However I’d be very suspect of anything that reported energy draw in amp hours.
Yes, for what was it $800? I’d hope it would at least blow some cool air onto you. I suspect that is exactly what it’s intended use is, not to cool an area.
However I doubt it’s more efficient than a house AC, the newer ones that are built to be efficient are extremely efficient.

The post about it having to exhaust the hot air outside was spot on, the only difference between an dehumidifier and an airconditioner is the AC has to get rid of the heat somehow, either with water or exhausting it outside, if you don’t do that, it will actually heat up the boat slightly
Old 21-06-2019, 08:34   #10

The unit has an accordion style exhaust hose to vent the heat outside similar to any portable AC unit.

I have thought about doing one of the coolers of ice "AC" things, my only hesitations is the humidity in the summer is already rely high and then ill just be adding more humidity to the cabin. Certainly alto cheaper to try out than the Zero Breeze.

One of the biggest savings I was seeing with this type of system was that the Zero breeze is a DC powered system. Converting electricity from DC to AC is very inefficient (around 25-30% loss just in converting)
Old 21-06-2019, 08:49   #11

Well, I personally love the name. Zero Breeze.
Banderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 08:52   #12

I thought it was an interesting choice also. Wouldn't you want to call it Lots of Breeze
Old 21-06-2019, 10:58   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Zero Breeze AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfimechanic View Post

One of the biggest savings I was seeing with this type of system was that the Zero breeze is a DC powered system. Converting electricity from DC to AC is very inefficient (around 25-30% loss just in converting)

Conversion losses can be well less than 10%. I bet you money that the zero breeze is like most all other compressors, that is it’s a brushless motor and therefore actually runs off of AC power, so it coverts DC to AC.
I think most if not all our refrigerators operate that way for example, I’d say all, but the swing compressor Engle uses may be a pure DC thing?