Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2016, 11:13   #16

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: You never want to see this on your boat

Stop pickin' on me. To make it worse my granddaddy was a pro in the bee business and a beekeeper.
Old 25-09-2016, 11:25   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i know how to keep em off yer boat--make pretend wasp nests--the red wasps here make nests that look like brown bags semi inflated and filled with red wasp fun yipes bad ****--- they break bees in half when fighting em and bees donot like em. nothing does.. so a semi inflated pretend red wasp nest works well. no red wasps no bees no hornets.. is wonderful.
i had real red wasp nest in my ratlings two years ago, now--was exciting to get rid of em.. they were not fun and incredibly smart' had to kill queen then they departed.

there ar e boats here in marina that have bee colonies--not sweet bees but africans... oops. mean bastids.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 11:49   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Kenomac, one of my hives has become Africanized. Did you re-queen yours or did your queen just quit laying mean eggs eventually?

Sorry for the thread drift. Just call a bee keeper, he'd love to come catch those bees.
That's about a hundred dollars worth of bees there. There is probably a bee keeping club in your area. A google search will find them. Do it quick. They might decide to move into the boom. That is much more of a problem.

Please don't kill them.
Old 25-09-2016, 14:31   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Kenomac, one of my hives has become Africanized. Did you re-queen yours or did your queen just quit laying mean eggs eventually?

Sorry for the thread drift. Just call a bee keeper, he'd love to come catch those bees.
That's about a hundred dollars worth of bees there. There is probably a bee keeping club in your area. A google search will find them. Do it quick. They might decide to move into the boom. That is much more of a problem.

Please don't kill them.
It was eleven years ago. At the time we had twelve hives in our yard and ten elsewhere, all the hives in the yard had become Africanized probably because I requeened them from the same apiary, it was early on when it was first becoming a problem. We got over seven hundred pounds of honey from those hives that year, probably because the bees were raiding every hive in the area; but because they were Africanized and we live in New England, they all died midway through the winter. Disease or just because they were Africanized, don't know why.

Sorry I can't bee of more help.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 15:03   #20

Boat: Gozzard 36

Not such an unusual event---friend of mine left his boat on the hard down south during the summer---came back to find his keel-stepped mast was filled below decks with a new hive ---killed the bees but many years later still has the hive combs as part of his mast step
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 15:10   #21

This problem has been around for over 400 years.
As W. Shakespeare put it (Oh, this will hurt.)

"To bee or not to bee. That is the question"
Sorry
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 15:27   #22

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

when in the previous owners care, my boat had become inhabited by bees while in Arizona. Anyone the PO called wanted to relocate, but he wanted them gone so set off a bug bomb in the boat and left them... so as a new boat owner, first thing I did was clean out the honeycomb from the battery compartment and all the bee bodys that were stuck together in clumps around the boat.

Certainly wouldn't want more bees to ever show up on the boat. They're messy.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 15:29   #23

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillsailor View Post
Not such an unusual event---friend of mine left his boat on the hard down south during the summer---came back to find his keel-stepped mast was filled below decks with a new hive ---killed the bees but many years later still has the hive combs as part of his mast step
Kept it there to prevent leaks? Bees' wax is not cheap, and has many uses on a sailing vessel. If he ever unsteps it there could be honey that is still good.
Old 25-09-2016, 16:45   #24

Please dont kill them.
The USA imports millions of bees from Australia every year because your population is killing your bees with pesticides and you have a thing called " Varroa Destructor" mite .We have a small infestation in Auz. which the scientists are trying to control without chemicals. No one has found a 100% cure.
Just think if we have no bees we basically have no food. More than likely they will move on especially if you move away from a food source, plus they are such an amazing creature. Please dont kill them!!!!
Barney21 is offline   Reply With Quote