Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Yellow Bikes
good idea 18 72.00%
maybe 2 8.00%
no 5 20.00%
never use a bike 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 14:14   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Sorry to intrude, again.
Did Club Thunderball not re-open this year, as advertised?
Club Thunderball | Facebook

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 14:20   #17

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I work at a college that has had a yellow bike program for about 10 years now. A wonderful program in theory. A lot of work to maintain in reality. It was especially difficult when it relied on donated bikes, because that meant we couldn't just maintian standard replacment parts.

That said, I wish you and all the others supporting this all the best.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 14:34   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

FWIW, 10 / 15 years back had a similar scheme over here. Except they were painted green and available for everyone albeit aimed at tourists. Bikes were refurbed by a local charity (work for the disabled?).

Only lasted a season as they all dissapeared One of the flaws in the scheme was never locked up. Not only made nicking them easy, but also meant could not guarantee a return journey My thinking would be keep the scheme small and plan on bikes going missing, maybe with a couple of spare bikes in reserve so repairs can be done at own conveniance.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 15:16   #19

Boat: Morgan Classic 41
Yes Gord, and they still have the reference section with pictures and history of the island. We really enjoyed it, as did quite a few of the cruisers at the time.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 15:20   #20

Boat: Cabo Rico
I voted yes and will donate a pint of yellow paint to whoever is going to organize this.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 16:20   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I voted yes and will donate a pint of yellow paint to whoever is going to organize this.
sins I started this thread I was donated 3 bicycles...I will sray paint them yellow and put them at my marina next spring.

all sailors regardless of anything is in this...we all are in this...maybe some will say I dont need...but if one day they do, all they got to do is pick a yellow bike and go...that simple.

it dont matter how or what is contrebuted...if I donate or repair a few bikes in my lifetime then be it....no need to lose sleep over this.
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 16:45   #22

Boat: Islander 36
Jobi,

Not all the responses have been 100% (including mine), so I for one am glad to see you are not discouraged by it. I think with enough rules and safegaurds it could work nicely. Hopefully the learning curve will not be too discouraging.

Along the lines of safegaurds, a deposit might be in order. In some cases, like dingy oars instead of $$?. Something people will want to come back for.
Old 11-01-2011, 16:51   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Jobi,

Not all the responses have been 100% (including mine), so I for one am glad to see you are not discouraged by it. I think with enough rules and safegaurds it could work nicely. Hopefully the learning curve will not be too discouraging.

Along the lines of safegaurds, a deposit might be in order. In some cases, like dingy oars instead of $$?. Something people will want to come back for.
Thers nothing to be discouraged about...the bikes are free!!
if sailors need them they will pick one up and leave it at the marina for all the share...iv gotten emails frow sailors that have bikes aboard, they will either put a yellow duct tape or ribben arond one tube and offer it to other sailors if they need...no deposits just an id card is sufisent...also sailboats are hard to miss at the duck...

Did I ever tell you I love your cockpit?
cheers
Old 11-01-2011, 16:56   #24

Boat: Island Packet 35 Cutter Rig
I think this is an awesome idea, makes total sense. I expect that when you have a bike aboard for a while it's going to rust so why not leave it at the marina so others can get use from it and not take up room on your boat? I like to believe we can trust people, give them a chance to prove they can be trusted and it will be. Of course there are those out there that will prove me wrong but isn't it nice to know that most people can be trusted?

I see ya out there riding a yellow bike soon,
Velma
Velma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 17:02   #25

A free servic need to be totaly so...we cant offer something and ask something in return...that is comerce.

it dont matter what sailors do with the bikes...they are free!!
some will be donated others salvaged from trash...if sailors need them they will do the minimun to keep them running...bikes are simple.

if theres one to many at your marina bring it to the next...its yours because its a free service provided by other sailors for sailors...the only peoples not allowed to use them are non sailors...regardless of where you are. period.

we preach by exemple...on any given day you feel like painting a bike or changing a tire...your helping others and yourself...you dont have to but it wont heurt anyone either.

this spring I will post a few photos and comments on how my sailing comunity reacted to the yellow bikes.
cheers
Old 11-01-2011, 18:19   #26

Boat: private yacht always moving
a couple of cities have tried that,,,, the bikes disappeared,, most likely went on a cargo boat heading to south america,,,, in miami we used to see tankers all the time with LOTS of bicycles on the heading to belize, and central america and such,,,might work out in your marina,, good luck and keep us informed,,, might find a sponsor, local bike shop or non profit agency or such that can help out with materials and such
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 18:37   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
a couple of cities have tried that,,,, the bikes disappeared,, most likely went on a cargo boat heading to south america,,,, in miami we used to see tankers all the time with LOTS of bicycles on the heading to belize, and central america and such,,,might work out in your marina,, good luck and keep us informed,,, might find a sponsor, local bike shop or non profit agency or such that can help out with materials and such

We have a saying here ((Man try but Women suceed)) ok maybe not a good exemple...nevertheless 100,000s bikes ar discarded all over America...many teens want new every year (including mine) this is in our favor as all we need to do is pick one up for grabs...dont matter if a poor sool sails away to his home land with a bike once in a while, really who cares?
the thing is all yellow bikes belong to all sailors...if they see one being abused and belive he or others will sufer from it...claim your ownership, the dang thing is yours...I know very well that some poor taxi driver will trash a bike now and then claiming it runs his tips...but thats life and we ar a comunity that knows better...sailors watch each others back...we keep each other informed about wheather or any possible danger...of all peoples sailors are the most colorfull and full of flavor of all...translate this as generous and cheerfull if you want...but you get my drift.
Old 11-01-2011, 18:46   #28

Boat: private yacht always moving
One thing that is true

sailors in general are one of the most generous group you can ever meet,, as I said best of luck,,,wish I was there to help,,

one of the things that was happening was people were taking the bikes and also selling them to the pawn shops for a small amount,,, sounds funny but at the time the police could do nothing,, it was not illegal,, no one owned the bikes, pawn shops would repaint them and sell them for a nice profit,,,
try to do something nice and at times that can be the result,,, not trying to sound negative, I am not,, i do hope it goes well for you
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 18:52   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
One thing that is true

sailors in general are one of the most generous group you can ever meet,, as I said best of luck,,,wish I was there to help,,

one of the things that was happening was people were taking the bikes and also selling them to the pawn shops for a small amount,,, sounds funny but at the time the police could do nothing,, it was not illegal,, no one owned the bikes, pawn shops would repaint them and sell them for a nice profit,,,
try to do something nice and at times that can be the result,,, not trying to sound negative, I am not,, i do hope it goes well for you
oh I hear you...I know a few junkies that will indeed pawn any bike they come across...sad sad but true!!!
now a day we either do something or do nothing...what will it be hummmm
Old 11-01-2011, 19:43   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
oh I hear you...I know a few junkies that will indeed pawn any bike they come across...sad sad but true!!!
now a day we either do something or do nothing...what will it be hummmm
You could well be right there Jobi...
'Somethings better than nothing'... especially if its free... a form of re-cycling what may needlessly end up in a skip..
Whats to lose... a coupla cans of paint.. go for it..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote