I did my own acid wash two or so years ago, in place. The trick is to use Phosphoric acid, not Muriatic. It takes much longer, but is much more forgiving. They put the stuff in soda pop.
I built a wash system using a series of 5 gallon buckets, a spare small bilge pump
, and some tubing. I have three heat exchangers / coolers (fresh water, oil
, transmission) and flow through the tranny, so it would have been crazy to remove them all. So in place was the best option.
I spent some time in the home improvement store with my phone
checking MSDS online. I finally found what I wanted at a specialty tile store. It's a generic form of grout cleaner that is dilute Phosphoric acid, but without the added detergent. I forget the brand. Way cheaper than the barnacle removal
stuff sold in marine
At any rate, I disconnected the raw water intake and discharge. I then hooked up my system to flow in reverse, pumping into the discharge and out the primary heat exchanger
intake. I tested with fresh water, and timed how long it took to flow a gallon of fresh water through, so I could see what difference I was making. I averaged the gallon test three times. Then, in 20 minute sessions, I ran through the acid mix, which I had diluted further. At the end of each session I timed a gallon. It took a long time, but it eventually cleaned out all the salt and calcification.
When finished, I slapped a lid on the used acid mix and donated it to my work to use as a HazMat prop. It's ok to flush down a municipal sewer legally, but it made for a fun drill.
Mostly fixed my overheating
issues, although the fresh water side needs some love too.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app